Fitz calls his shot -Update Signed w/Jets

No, John, sorry, you're switching the frame. Your original claim was "pedestrian QB can be easily had on the market". Hoyer was available, had statistical comparabilities to Fitz and at least one team that preferred him in the past, and has now signed with the Bears - the Jets had their chance and passed, so he is not on the market. McCown is under contract to the Cleveland Browns, he is not available. Who are these pedestrian QB, comparable to Fitz, who can be easily had on the market?

I'm glad to see that when talking to someone else, you're able to acknowledge that it's a non-sentimental market decision on BOTH sides, not simply an issue of "market value" from the Jets side.

It appears that the Jets are not too worried about losing Fitz. Who will they replace him with? I can't say right now. What I can say is that it appears that the Jets are not very concerned about the the risk of losing Fitz because of their limited contract offer. Do the Jets still have time to acquire a bridge qb to replace fits if that situation materializes? I believe so.

I've never said that Fitz doesn't have options. His option is to retire if he is not satisfied with the contract offer. You might consider that good leverage but I don't. I'm comfortable in saying that he doesn't have much value in the NFL market. That is evident by the lack of interest from other teams.

Fitz had a good year last year with the Jets. The Jets apparently consider it as an aberration. Fitz is trying to use last year's performance as a baseline for negotiating a new contract. The Jets simply are not accepting that premise in their negotiations with him.

We'll just see how this plays out. The Jets will probably raise their offer and it will reflect the value you they place on him. I'm confident that it won't be too high.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The late Eugene Parker had a saying “Leverage depends not about what you have, but what you’re willing to do". The point is, as long as Fitz has options other than "play for the Jets at their price" (and he does), he has just as much leverage as if he had other teams waiting to sign him. He may not have options to start for other teams, but he does have leverage.

We are in agreement. I was just laughing at their plan, not your post. They've spent themselves into a position where they've got little choice but to sign Fitz or acquire another at least semi-capable QB for 2016. How would they be able to justify spending so much and winding up with a terrible record if they don't? Unless they're tanking Indy style for the top pick in 2017? Wow. That actually could be their plan. But why take Hack in the 2nd if it is?

there are at least 4 teams i can think of that fitz would start on in 2016 and upgrade them. browns, jets, jaguars, bucs.

Jeff, you know I love ya but that's Crazy Talk.

Browns, Jets, yes.

Bortles is looking really good, though. Passed for over 4000 yds, 35 TDs, 7.3 YPA...He's looking like Truth, even if I do regard their OL coach with loathing and feel that their rushing game needs Catsup.

Winton didn't look bad for a rookie, most players do take a jump their 2nd year, and the Bucs have an underrated RB and a real rushing game.

It appears that the Jets are not too worried about losing Fitz. Who will they replace him with? I can't say right now. What I can say is that it appears that the Jets are not very concerned about the the risk of losing Fitz because of their limited contract offer. Do the Jets still have time to acquire a bridge qb to replace fits if that situation materializes? I believe so.

John, you said earlier "For the Jets pedestrian qbs can be easily had on the market." If pedestrian QBs can so easily be had on the market, surely you should be able to name a couple of guys the Jets could bring in to replace Fitz?

I don't think the Jets limited contract offer reflects their lack of concern over losing Fitz and ability to readily replace him. I think it reflects their limited cap space. I think they were hoping for a draft-day trade of Wilkerson and/or for Fitzy to give them a "home-town discount" and when neither happened, they said they were "up sh*t creek" and grabbed a Hackenburg paddle, hoping that Gailey can somehow manipulate Geno Smith into being a decent QB for a year.

I think the crazy contracts offered to Osweiler, Bradford and Daniel reflect the fact that even pedestrian QBs are hard to come by in today's NFL.

Edited by Hopeful

Jeff, you know I love ya but that's Crazy Talk.

Browns, Jets, yes.

Bortles is looking really good, though. Passed for over 4000 yds, 35 TDs, 7.3 YPA...He's looking like Truth, even if I do regard their OL coach with loathing and feel that their rushing game needs Catsup.

Winton didn't look bad for a rookie, most players do take a jump their 2nd year, and the Bucs have an underrated RB and a real rushing game.

I see is wrs and targets being a key factor

I'm sure they thought the same about Geno....and when he crapped out, Petty.

They probably did. But since they need a QB, they're going to keep trying. But again, I doubt they or anyone else feel that Fitz is anything but a placeholder and I'm sure the way last season ended left a bad taste.

They probably did. But since they need a QB, they're going to keep trying. But again, I doubt they or anyone else feel that Fitz is anything but a placeholder and I'm sure the way last season ended left a bad taste.

Then they must have much more preferred the taste of 4-12, 8-8, 6-10, 8-8...and NO chance of making the playoffs.

I haven't seen where it's been reported Fitz wants more than a 3 year deal, so it's not like he thinks he's not going to be a bridge to the next guy. Why is everyone here pretending he doesn't know that?

He just doesn't think he deserves less than 10 million a year and he's absolutely right. He knows they know he's their best option at QB for at least the next 2 years.

The Jets passed on Hoyer, they passed on RG3, they didn't want to pay Kaep. They want Fitz, they just want to low ball him because they spent foolishly elsewhere.

A facility where beer is served? That probably preceded the post, Boyst is just stirring sh*t and doesn't want to admit it.

I'm not sure what this means in this context

Normally I'd agree, but his football takes have been so out of left field lately I'm beginning to wonder if one of his dates kicked him in the head while he was milking her...

(Still love you, Boyst! You're just insane lately)

A facility where beer is served? That probably preceded the post, Boyst is just stirring sh*t and doesn't want to admit it.

I'm not sure what this means in this context

no. Not stirring ****. I just see some systems like Jacksonville being very qb friendly with the personnel to succeed.

Jville runs a very basic yet very effective offense which fosters progress.

Anyone who thinks Fitz is an upgrade over Bortles in Jax ought to check out last year's passing stats.

I think he could get as much and maybe more done. Bottles forced a lot of mistakes. Fitz doesn't force mistakes and has got better. When pressures on the line he still struggled. And he doesn't have bottles' arm.

no. Not stirring ****. I just see some systems like Jacksonville being very qb friendly with the personnel to succeed.

Jville runs a very basic yet very effective offense which fosters progress.

I think he could get as much and maybe more done. Bottles forced a lot of mistakes. Fitz doesn't force mistakes and has got better. When pressures on the line he still struggled. And he doesn't have bottles' arm.

Okay, now we KNOW you're trolling. :lol:

Fitz doesn't force mistakes. :lol::lol::lol:

The 4th quarter from last season's finale at RWS says hi.

Then they must have much more preferred the taste of 4-12, 8-8, 6-10, 8-8...and NO chance of making the playoffs.

I haven't seen where it's been reported Fitz wants more than a 3 year deal, so it's not like he thinks he's not going to be a bridge to the next guy. Why is everyone here pretending he doesn't know that?

He just doesn't think he deserves less than 10 million a year and he's absolutely right. He knows they know he's their best option at QB for at least the next 2 years.

The Jets passed on Hoyer, they passed on RG3, they didn't want to pay Kaep. They want Fitz, they just want to low ball him because they spent foolishly elsewhere.

A qb can be a starter and still not be a starting caliber qb for a team. Fitz is what he always has been i.e. a good backup who has started for a number of teams that then let him go. He has played for six teams with Buffalo being the only team that kept him for more than two years.

Will the Jets up their paltry offer to him? Probably so. But Fitz is not going to get a contract that he believes he is worth. I'll repeat what I have said on other postings: No other team is interested in Fitz as a starting qb, even if it is as a bridge qb. If you think otherwise then tell me which team is interested in him?

He can think what he wants. If he hadn't **** the bed against the Bills last year and they'd made the playoffs, he'd be able to dictate terms. But despite a career year, he couldn't close the deal, and don't think the Jets didn't take notice of it. So they drafted a guy and will look to groom him, even if it means taking a step back this year. And again, they need to clear at least $6.5M in cap room just to give him the 1-year $3.25M deal he got last year, much less a 3-year deal averaging $10M/year.