Paris...

Spun

For my first trip ever to Europe, I will be spending a week in Paris. Any recommendations, tips etc. please.

A few years ago, I had planned to go to Berlin to see the Sabres play. Then last Fall, I had planned to go to London to see the Bills play. Both trips didn't happen. So I got a little angry and committed to going across the pond. Finally.

I do plan to visit Versailles and Normandy. Some tour guides are helpful but there always some places that don't make into to the guides.

I will arrive at de Gaulle airport and I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency at 3, Place de Koenig which looks to be in the 8th arrondisement.

I know there are a lot of resourceful people that use this site so any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do some of the obvious tourist spots: The Eiffel Tower, Montmarte (Sacré Coeur and Moulin Rouge are there), Napoleon's Tomb - in the Hotel National des Invalides, Rodin's house, The Louvre. You'll be fairly close to the Arc de Triomphe which commemorates Napoleon's battles. The Avenue des Champs-Elysées is beautiful and impressive to walk down and extremely wide. So plan carefully if you are walking across it.

Plan ahead. Get an underground day pass, and plan to do a lot of walking and stair climbing. Their subway is like none other. You walk a lot from the entrances to the platforms and often up and down dozens and dozens of stairs.

There's lots to do in Paris. It's a gorgeous city. Take a boat tour on the Seine. Eat well, drink well. It's not difficult to do in that city. Good luck and bon voyage!

For my first trip ever to Europe, I will be spending a week in Paris. Any recommendations, tips etc. please.

Stay at the Hilton? Just so you can say you did...

And if you can, check out the WWI war gravesites (the Somme grave sites are maybe an hour north.) Never been there, but the Thiepval memorial is supposedly particularly impressive.

Edited by DC Tom

Go to McDonalds and order a Quarter Pounder

with wine.

Side note. My son had to go to McDonalds in Munich because he wanted to get a Big Mac with a beer. :lol:

Oh, and Spun - you can skip the Monet tour that goes out from Paris. We did it and were a bit disappointed. There are no original Monet paintings there. They're all in museums or private collections around the globe. They have reproductions hanging up. The only "original" artwork on display are his collection of Japanese prints. Even the bridge over the lily ponds isn't original. They replaced it a couple of years before we went there. But if I were going to Normandy, I'd go to Point Du Hoc. I regret not making it there.

A few years ago, I had planned to go to Berlin to see the Sabres play. Then last Fall, I had planned to go to London to see the Bills play. Both trips didn't happen. So I got a little angry and committed to going across the pond. Finally.

I do plan to visit Versailles and Normandy. Some tour guides are helpful but there always some places that don't make into to the guides.

I will arrive at de Gaulle airport and I will be staying at the Hyatt Regency at 3, Place de Koenig which looks to be in the 8th arrondisement.

I know there are a lot of resourceful people that use this site so any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

So don't listen to all the chit some knuckleheads may give about staying at the Hilton. I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume you using points.

if not, i will join the chorus to stay in a non -chain hotel. If no points are being used, look at AirBNB and VRBO for a great apartment in a cool neighborhood for less money.

Next, look at getting the Paris Museum Pass. Not only is it cost effective, there is a separate entrance for pass holders and virtually no lines.

http://en.parismuseumpass.com/

Versailles is a early morning must. Get the train from Paris, get there early. Rent bikes on the grounds for a great tour of the gardens.

As crazy as it sounds, the Sewers tour is actually quite cool

http://europeforvisitors.com/paris/articles/paris-sewers-museum.htm

And there are a million other tips to be given. Buy a Rick Steves Paris book , worth its weight in gold . http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Paris-2016/dp/1631211854

All that being said...enjoy the city like a local. Go to Frommagerie and get some awesome stinky cheese, then go the patisseries and get awesome bread, and dont forget the great cheap wine at the store. Have a great happy hour at the hotel/apartment.

Then go hangount at a cafe and soak in all that Paris is, and dont worry that everyone smokes.Have a cheap dinner in close quarters at non tourist brasseries.

In other words, worry less about the tourist chit, and enjoy the city as the locals do!

Cabs are expensive, especially CDG to the city. Try to take the train, Yellow signs (pictures) in baggage claim area, into the city. Trains are the way to go BUT plan ahead. There are several train stations in Paris. You have to know where your're going, to be sure you go to the right one.

Don't be alarmed to see a significant armed police presence. Unlike the USA, those guns are loaded, and they mean business.

The Museum pass is a great buy, if you're into museums. It's nice to go to the head of the line all the time.

If you do take the train from the airport, pack only what you can comfortably carry. When you get off, there may be A LOT of stairs, and few elevators.

You can take the train to Versailles, but you have to know which station to board at..

Oh soo much to do.

Go see Jim morrisons grave. There are handwritten

Signs on graves at cemetery.

Have to go to Normandy . You must see the

Bunkers and grave sites. Chill the spine

Go to louvre and see Mona Lisa

Take a train to mersailles.

Go under the channel and end up in England !

Eat drink eat drink eat drink..

Top of Eiffel Tower . Wow

I can't wAit to go back

Versailles was my favorite tourist trap.

Paris has very little illumination for the "city of lights." Avoid walking the streets alone at night. You're not in a movie.

I spent a whole day with the singular goal of eating french fries on top of the Eiffel tower.

Embrace the rudeness. Revel in it. Say "stupid Ahmerikan!" a lot.

If you try to ignore the hairy armpits, it will be all you see.

Take a picture at the spot where Hitler stood as he conquered Paris. Post it here.

But most of all> Even if they say you're butchering their language, they still appreciate you trying to speak French.

Refills are not free.

Remember not to tip. Makes you look stupid. Like a naive American.

Oh! The indignity of having extra money! Such wasteful, stupid Americans just giving their money away!

:-P

Do they refund the tip on your card? Or if you are paying cash, run down the street chasing you while shouting: "Wait! You over paid!"

Learn / use the transit system.

When asking a question / addressing a local always start with "Bonjour". Then ask your question in English.

Find a park bench or cafe and people watch.

You will not have enough time to do what you want in a week.

BTW, we rented from this place about 10 years ago before AIRBNB was around...they were fantastic and i would almost guarantee a fantastic stay.

http://www.parisperfect.com/

We used that site as well when we went. :thumbsup:

Edited by BuffaloBud

Oh! The indignity of having extra money! Such wasteful, stupid Americans just giving their money away!

:-P

Do they refund the tip on your card? Or if you are paying cash, run down the street chasing you while shouting: "Wait! You over paid!"

No. You sound like an azz with that. Their culture is different. Deal with it.

Tipping in most of Europe is frowned upon.

Just look at the friggin' check. They get paid a lot.

wish I would have went when I was in France, but don't know much about it except the Viking established it and we invaded there in WW2. So what is there?

It wasn't an invasion, it was a liberation.