For those who want a new stadium... Test Run

Speaking of not knowing the meaning of things...

When you lease a property, you are allowed to earn a profit off it. You can quibble about the deal the county gave Ralph, but you can't deny Ralph's right to keep the proceeds he made from said property. So, no, he didn't "shake down" anyone.

What Ralph didn't do was go to Orchard Park and demand all private property owners who park cars to hand over a fat cut to him, which is exactly what Krafty Bob does in Foxboro.

How much does he demand from them? I couldn't find anything about this.

And as ThatsNoMoon points out, $50 parking is hardly unique to "people getting gouged in Boston".

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hammer must have of Doctor in Business Administration. Pure genius. He is the inventor of the Personal Parking Spot License (inspired by the Personal Seat Licenses). :)

This points to the fact that the NFL expects Joe and Jane average fan to see games on TV at home. Stadiums in today's NFL are all about the attraction of corporate dollars. Buffalo has hung on to a tradition they would love to kill.

Hammer: BTW I am one who thinks an open air stadium right where it is now is just perfect. If a new stadium has to be built elsewhere let it be NF as then the NFL can leverage the tourist attraction and maybe corporate money out of Toronto flows south.

I say, Buffalo has not held on to fan tradition by choice. I'd say there are few corporate dollars in town to start a corporate tradition, so the fan tradition continues because it isn't being squeezed out by corporations. You are right, the NFL wants the Ralph to be corporate--just the idiot owners refuse to see it's just not here.

No moat but could provide electrified barb wire to ring around your spot

Ooo.. better get that liability insurance. You know some drunk fan is going to pee on, or brush up against it while having hammer lot sex.

Edited by boater

I don't know why it goes to $50? In New Orleans it's about $20-$25 to park downtown for the games. Why are we assuming that parking will double in price?

Hammer is just trying to make a point.

But it's a matter of financial self-interest for him so you have to take it fwiw.

Here's the truth: you can park 200-500 feet from Hammer's Lot for about half of what he actually charges now......and be on the right side of the road and subsequently CLOSER to the stadium with greater shelter from the elements.......so folks are already paying more for less at Hammer's Lot. :lol:

He's done a good job branding his lot and increasing his weekly take.......there is a parallel there to what the Bills would be doing in moving to a new stadium where they can increase their weekly take.

But it's a matter of financial self-interest for him so you have to take it fwiw.

Here's the truth: you can park 200-500 feet from Hammer's Lot for about half of what he actually charges now......and be on the right side of the road and subsequently CLOSER to the stadium with greater shelter from the elements.......so folks are already paying more for less at Hammer's Lot. :lol:

He's done a good job branding his lot and increasing his weekly take.......there is a parallel there to what the Bills would be doing in moving to a new stadium where they can increase their weekly take.

I don't know Hammer. But I get the sense he is not a billionaire who is looking to leverage public subsidies (example: all NFL owners not named Pegula). So the parallel isn't so parallel.

Life in WNY is hard. Some guy making parking money for 8 games a year "branding" and "self interest" ... I can tolerate that.

I don't know Hammer. But I get the sense he is not a billionaire who is looking to leverage public subsidies (example: all NFL owners not named Pegula). So the parallel isn't so parallel.

Life in WNY is hard. Some guy making parking money for 8 games a year "branding" and "self interest" ... I can tolerate that.

An opportunist lobbying against another entity trying to maximize their revenues is a pot/kettle situation.

But you are right, it really is a mind over matter situation.

Some people don't mind paying twice as much to park because THAT amount of money doesn't matter.

But life in WNY is not as hard for everyone as it may be for you.

Some people would gladly pay the price for tickets in a new downtown palace that would price out some of the people they don't want to be around.

There is a guy on here who has told me in pm's that he would gladly pay whatever the Bills asked if they priced out the "cockroaches"..........but until then he and his family won't set foot in the Ralph.

It's shocking to hear people talk about regular fans like that but the reality is that there are people with lots of disposable income everywhere........even in WNY........and they mind the current situation of an old, amenity deficient outdoor facility filled with lot's of folks with very little money and the behavior they associate with people abusing the priveleges made possible to them by the cheap price of the entertainment.

Personally, I think that rigid of a take is ignorance......rich people get drunk and act a fool at sporting events too.......and after-all, it isn't golf, it's a bloodsport that lends itself to highly emotional behavior.......but ultimately the reality is that at some point the Bills will be forced to get in line by the rest of the league whether we like it or not.

I don't know why it goes to $50? In New Orleans it's about $20-$25 to park downtown for the games. Why are we assuming that parking will double in price?

Because spots will be scalped for 2x price just like tickets are now.

Yes but Foxboro has more billionaires per square mile than any city in the world, so he gets that astronomical sum for parking..

And the owner STILL cheats on his taxes; it is the principle to never be honest when cheating can be done.

Hammers' Lot has advantage - a frierce guard dog which keeps the rif raff out - notice you do not park there!

Still not there before Cletus.

Only because I stopped for breakfast.

I think you both mean me. Considering I willingly gave Cletus the honor.

You may now bow to your REAL KING

Edited by mrags

Hammer must have of Doctor in Business Administration. Pure genius. He is the inventor of the Personal Parking Spot License (inspired by the Personal Seat Licenses). :)

Ooo.. better get that liability insurance. You know some drunk fan is going to pee on, or brush up against it while having hammer lot sex.

One of our property's has had reserved parking since the stadium opened.

As a previous king, you should know... Heavy is the Cown

At first, it was a challenge to keep the crown. But I've actually tried the last few years to let someone else win, by showing up later and later. This year, was the first year since 2001 that someone beat me there.

He's done a good job branding his lot

I Thank You but I would not say closer but the cost is less. My overhead is higher. Where you park one restroom. I provide 6 restrooms 2 for women only use so women do not have their face near the " purse holder" after it is used.The lot is cleaned up while my customers are in the game so they do not drive over glass and other trash. If there is coals on the ground a magnet sweep is preformed. The last game, Jets, most of the lawn lots were closed due to wet grounds. I put down fabric and rock on part of my lot ($5,000)providing a solid base. My customers knew I would be able to provide them with a spot unlike the cheaper lawn lots. Hammers Lot is not for everyone. From give aways, former Bills, A documenter was filmed there (another will premiere in August partly shot in the lot) Weather Channel interviewed tailgaters for 3 hours last season, to the Ralph Wilson Thank You banner photo op., to some of the most friendly, sharing tailgaters, to the $500 Omaha Steak Gift card winner to the 2 time Jack Daniels Tailgate Award winning party to the unique parking receipt this year, to the cheerleaders, to Baby Joe Mesi, to the WGR tailgater winner this year, to the bands to the ..... I would disagree with your statement that "folks are paying more for less at Hammers Lot"

Hammers' Lot has advantage - a frierce guard dog which keeps the rif raff out - notice you do not park there!

He is getting up there in age, 99 years old. He is official retired. Living a dogs life! Edited by Hammered a Lot

I Thank You but I would not say closer but the cost is less. My overhead is higher. Where you park one restroom. I provide 6 restrooms 2 for women only use so women do not have their face near the " purse holder" after it is used.The lot is cleaned up while my customers are in the game so they do not drive over glass and other trash. If there is coals on the ground a magnet sweep is preformed. The last game, Jets, most of the lawn lots were closed due to wet grounds. I put down fabric and rock on part of my lot ($5,000)providing a solid base. My customers knew I would be able to provide them with a spot unlike the cheaper lawn lots. Hammers Lot is not for everyone. From give aways, former Bills, A documenter was filmed there (another will premiere in August partly shot in the lot) Weather Channel interviewed tailgaters for 3 hours last season, to the Ralph Wilson Thank You banner photo op., to some of the most friendly, sharing tailgaters, to the $500 Omaha Steak Gift card winner to the 2 time Jack Daniels Tailgate Award winning party to the unique parking receipt this year, to the cheerleaders, to Baby Joe Mesi, to the WGR tailgater winner this year, to the bands to the ..... I would disagree with your statement that "folks are paying more for less at Hammers Lot"

He is getting up there in age, 99 years old. He is official retired. Living a dogs life!

Representing! When I ever get to a game at RWS (hopefully sooner than later (go sooners)), I know where I'm parking!

Charlotte is limited parking, Detroit and Cleveland, too. Indy, I have heard is not all that easy.

The prices to park there are not too high but still you can't tailgate or really go anywhere to congregate.

If $50 gets me the front row parking in the future, than I am 100% down. Of course, I get there by 7am, so that helps.

Not sure how long it's been since you've visited Charlotte but I'll have to disagree with you. I went twice last year - we tailgated very well and had plenty of space. Things have changed and if people want to congregate the people figure it out and the area tends to accommodate. As you said parking is $20-$30 as you get closer to the stadium. We were in the Charlotte Observer parking lot and it was excellent. 4 Tents together, grilled, corn hole, etc.

Not sure how long it's been since you've visited Charlotte but I'll have to disagree with you. I went twice last year - we tailgated very well and had plenty of space. Things have changed and if people want to congregate the people figure it out and the area tends to accommodate. As you said parking is $20-$30 as you get closer to the stadium. We were in the Charlotte Observer parking lot and it was excellent. 4 Tents together, grilled, corn hole, etc.

i'll have to go this year. i befriended a girl from buffalo who goes to tavern every game. i have never been - i've been to coopers in gboro, though.