NFL Execs say Bills should get moving on new stadium

I realize that it's just one example (and admittedly it's the only one that I looked up), but LucasOil is booked with 21 non-football events from now until the end of the year.

http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/upcoming-events.aspx

Am I to believe that the Bills wouldn't want to do something similar?

Bingo!

I posted the Lucas bookings a bout a year ago when this never ending topic was also being discussed. Only 5 of those events get on the field. Weddings won't generate enough money to keep the heat and lights on for a few hours.

A new stadium isn't going to take away the smaller events that make up the majority of bookings that Lucas (actually, it's the adjacent Convention Center) has because Buffalo already has an under booked Convention Center for such events.

A new stadium should be paid for by the owner in full (maybe a few million for access improvement, etc). HE will build it knowing that events other than NFL games won't contribute real money to covering his debt.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that it's just one example (and admittedly it's the only one that I looked up), but LucasOil is booked with 21 non-football events from now until the end of the year.

http://www.lucasoilstadium.com/upcoming-events.aspx

Am I to believe that the Bills wouldn't want to do something similar?

11 of those events are projected for under 1000 people. The state football playoffs are in Syracuse and draw no where near the numbers projected for the Indiana ones. and we have no big ten football. Basically the place is dormant.

This ****'s exhausting.

We do not need a new stadium.

WNY market is not ready for expensive PSLs and the crazy prices they pay in other cities. I have no idea if Pegula has the backbone or the capacity to stand up to them, but it's pretty obvious they're going to bang the drum till they get what they want

Clearly the other owners have not moved on from their fantasy of driving the Bills out of Buffalo. I'm sure they're still trying to figure out how to drive the Bills to Toronto.

No more "welfare" ticket prices. PSLs and 20% above average nfl* ticket price. Let's get this team to the 21st century.

Black out rule is gone.

Imo

Increase prices and increase expectations.

Right now you have a cheap game day experience bouyed by a tailgater cult that shows up to see a marginal/average/even losing teams, year after year after year.

So be careful what you ask for...

This ****'s exhausting.

We do not need a new stadium.

WNY market is not ready for expensive PSLs and the crazy prices they pay in other cities. I have no idea if Pegula has the backbone or the capacity to stand up to them, but it's pretty obvious they're going to bang the drum till they get what they want

Clearly the other owners have not moved on from their fantasy of driving the Bills out of Buffalo. I'm sure they're still trying to figure out how to drive the Bills to Toronto.

Fans in GB paid, on average, 50% more for a PAckers ticket than Bills fans paid for a Bills ticket. An overnight %50 increase would be a huge change, but in dollars, it comes out to $25. You don't think the Bills could hike up the price to equal what they pay in Green Bay Wisconsin?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/25/erie-county-official-to-nfl-show-numbers-proving-bills-need-new-stadium/

I really like Poloncarz' response

Fans in GB paid, on average, 50% more for a PAckers ticket than Bills fans paid for a Bills ticket. An overnight %50 increase would be a huge change, but in dollars, it comes out to $25. You don't think the Bills could hike up the price to equal what they pay in Green Bay Wisconsin?

I think this where you start. If it comes down to revenue.

Seems to me Buffalo is just going to be limited in it growth (spending fans ).

so like WEO don't sink more money hoping for a dramatic ROI

Since GB owns the team, don't they set the prices?

How exactly is the market for concerts saturated?

Comparing a downtown stadium to UB is kind of misguided, but yes, it can certainly be used for track events. Why not Olympic or Junior Olympic trials etc.?

Motorcross is actually pretty popular. Events happen in nearby locations like Batavia and Holland pretty regularly.

As to wrestling, yes, they could host an event. Folks need to get used to the idea that the new stadium will have a retractable dome for the exact reason of hosting events year-round.

And, you don't have to like it.

Um, other NFL venues host soccer games without ruining site lines at all--I don't really see a salient point here.

Am I mistaken, or did Yankee Stadium start hosting a college bowl game recently?

I fail to understand why there's such pushback on maximizing the revenue from added events

You miss read. Concerts FNC there are to many Convention venues already across the land. Quick, when was the last motorcross/monster truck event held in Da Ralph? 25-30-35-40 years ago? And I did give thumps up on the 2 Types of football. Track events there goes great sight lines, Maybe you missed the thread about the track at the UB football stadium making the game day experience poorer. They should rent binoculars ala Jerrys palace! I can't wait till spring of 2017 when the stadium topic will reappear. The 4 stadium sites are just suggestions, I know of a 5th site. Let's see what happens in 3-4 years.

At the present time I live in northern Saratoga County, moved here in 1985 for work... I had season tickets from 1978-1988 when I finally gave them up... I try to attend at least 2 games a year in Buffalo and quite often bring friends to the games... I'm surprised when those friends who have never been to Ralph Wilson Stadium are amazed at just how great a venue it is... They always say something like, "I expected this place to be a dump, but it's Great!".... They ask, "Why do people always talk about how Buffalo needs a new stadium?'... I remember going to games at Cleveland's old Municipal Stadium, the place was literally falling apart... There was no league wide cry for a new facility, but when it comes to Buffalo, it's always the same old bad press...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/25/erie-county-official-to-nfl-show-numbers-proving-bills-need-new-stadium/

Pegula knows the only way to dramatically increase his ROI is to build a new stadium. He overpaid for the Bills but he could easily reap a big profit if he sold the team with a fairly new stadium.

The numbers that separate the average ticket prices between teams isn't an order of magnitude. As I showed, a whopping 50% increase is only on average $25--that's on trip to the beer stand.

Since GB owns the team, don't they set the prices?

Of course not. The market sets the prices. The point was that a decidedly non-affluent town like GB can support ticket prices that, percentage-wise, are far higher than what the Bills currently charge. No reason to think the Bills couldn't get the same for their tickets.

Poloncarz made his points repeatedly but did not address the central issue raised by the NFL. They did not want 130 million dumped into the Ralph for the most recent renovation. Then the NFL is supposedly not happy that the earnings of the top quartile of teams is outpacing the growth in the other quantiles.

I still think the comments out of the NFL are short sighted. Buffalo and the average fan will have an uphill battle with the Billionaires club that consists of NFL owners.

Pegula knows the only way to dramatically increase his ROI is to build a new stadium. He overpaid for the Bills but he could easily reap a big profit if he sold the team with a fairly new stadium.

The numbers that separate the average ticket prices between teams isn't an order of magnitude. As I showed, a whopping 50% increase is only on average $25--that's on trip to the beer stand.

Of course not. The market sets the prices. The point was that a decidedly non-affluent town like GB can support ticket prices that, percentage-wise, are far higher than what the Bills currently charge. No reason to think the Bills couldn't get the same for their tickets.

your killing me Homz.

now you are selling the team?

My thought is building a new stadium will be sunk cost with a limited revenue increase. The request from Mara is just not viable in the Buffalo market place

The numbers that separate the average ticket prices between teams isn't an order of magnitude. As I showed, a whopping 50% increase is only on average $25--that's on trip to the beer stand

And to expand on that a bit, to get into the next level of season ticket charges, you are talking about another $100. Buffalo cheapest season ticket $260. Detroit, small market and fairly new stadium, cheapest season ticket $350.

Poloncarz made his points repeatedly but did not address the central issue raised by the NFL. They did not want 130 million dumped into the Ralph for the most recent renovation. Then the NFL is supposedly not happy that the earnings of the top quartile of teams is outpacing the growth in the other quantiles.

I still think the comments out of the NFL are short sighted. Buffalo and the average fan will have an uphill battle with the Billionaires club that consists of NFL owners.

Agreed Bill.

It is certainly not about Buffalo, Buffalonians and Bills fans.

Thats part of why i like him calling out he NFL. It is solely to line the owners pockets. Which IS shortsighted.

Pegulas should be quietly pissed