Liberal Protests

B-Man

Beaten by men in the pool, now beaten by men in the streets. Could you imagine if the roles were reversed and she had attacked a trans person? It would be national news. What a double standard. Trans privilege indeed

• Agree 2

‘I was screaming before you interrupted me’: American politics has become amplified rage

BY JONATHAN TURLEY

Nobel Laureate Albert Camus once said, “Insurrection is certainly not the sum total of human experience but … it is our historic reality.” Those words came to mind this week when Tennessee’s House of Representatives expelled two members accused of disrupting legislative proceedings in what some called an “insurrection” or a “mutiny.”

The scene on the floor of the Tennessee House perfectly captured our “age of rage.” Protesters filled the capitol building to protest the failure to pass gun-control legislation. However, they were in the minority in both the state and its legislature. Three Democratic state representatives — Justin Jones from Nashville, Justin Pearson from Memphis, and Gloria Johnson of Knoxville — were unwilling to yield to the majority. They disrupted the floor proceedings with a bullhorn and screaming at their colleagues.

It is a scene familiar to many of us in academia, where events are regularly canceled by those who shout down others. The three members yelled “No action, no peace” and “Power to the people” as their colleagues objected to their stopping the legislative process. Undeterred, the three refused to allow “business as usual” to continue.

Nothing says deliberative debate like a bullhorn. American politics, it seems, has become a matter of simple amplification.

Many on the left lionized the three for their disruption of the legislature. President Biden denounced the sanctioning of their “peaceful protest” as “shocking, undemocratic, and without precedent.”

There was little criticism of the members for obstructing the legislative business or refusing to accept the democratic process that rejected their gun-control demands.

Today, for many, there is no room for nuance. Instead, they live in a world occupied only by “fascists” and “insurrectionists.”

I have long been critical of the media declaring the Jan. 6, 2021, riot on Capitol Hill as an “insurrection” in spite of my criticism of Trump’s speech on that day and the riot that desecrated our constitutional process. Many in the public agree.

Despite the efforts of the House’s Jan. 6 committee and the media referring to the riot as an insurrection, some polls show that 76 percent of the public view it as a protest that went too far. Likewise, a Harvard study showed more citizens viewed Jan. 6 as motivated by loyalty to Trump than a desire for a national insurrection.

More at the link: https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/3940490-i-was-screaming-before-you-interrupted-me-american-politics-has-become-amplified-rage/

• Like (+1) 2

Protesters Attempt to Disrupt Official Proceeding of House Judiciary Committee in NYC

Protesters-Javits-building-730x0.png

The House Judiciary Committee held a field hearing in New York City at the Jacob Javits Federal Building on Monday to deal with the horrible crime problem that has only gotten worse under the policies of Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg. While Bragg has been focused and even ran on an effort to “get” former President Donald Trump in a disgusting effort to take out a political opponent of the Democrats, when it comes to real crime and his real job, Bragg has done everything he can to let criminals off.

What was funny was they looked like mostly old NY leftists, the signs were obviously professionally made. But even for New York City, they couldn’t get very many people out and the people who showed up were a tired lot. They also had a small group chanting a bit outside the Javits building.

https://redstate.com/nick-arama/2023/04/17/protesters-attempt-to-disrupt-official-proceeding-of-house-judiciary-committee-in-nyc-n732516

• Haha (+1) 1

DOMESTIC TERRORISM: 

Violence erupts at the University of Pittsburgh over Michael Knowles event:

Demonstrators threw flares at attendees trying to enter the building and lit an incendiary device outside of the venue.

https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=22401

It’s basically state-sponsored terrorism, too, given that there’s a near-zero chance the DOJ will go after the people behind it.

Read this and tell me what the state of liberals is in America.

My personal account of the violence at UPitt's Knowles-Polumbo debate

by Gabrielle M. Etzel 

I never thought I would be in the middle of a violent physical battle on the streets of Pittsburgh, a practical war zone breaking out in my hometown. But it happened on Tuesday night.

Michael Knowles and Brad Polumbo were in Pennsylvania to debate transgender rights and the role of government in those rights. The protest itself, though, was an illustration that free speech and intellectual inquiry in America are being replaced with acts of intimidation and violence.

As a reporter covering the event, I walked amongst the protesters for nearly an hour before the start of the debate, hearing the organizers with their microphones screaming that they were going to “get in the faces” of the attendees. I followed them to the venue and heard them chanting “Nazis go home” and “Shut it down.”

But as soon as I crossed the barricade to attend the event itself, I became the protesters’ enemy.

From that point, the scenes became increasingly frightening.

Obscenities were screamed at my companion and me. We were told that we “should have been wiped out in 1945” and that there would “be no Nuremberg Trial for us this time.”

Shortly after this, someone in the crowd threw a lit road flare into the line of attendees, which landed inches away from me. Thankfully, my companion and I, as well as the other attendees, were able to swiftly flee and escaped harm.

Even once we made it into the event hall and through the intense security, everyone inside the venue sat in shocked silence when an incendiary device exploded close enough to the building that the lights shook and the sound reverberated throughout the room.

Being told to stand clear of the windows as the chants of the protesters became louder at the end of the debate, and being rushed out of the back exit by armed police were also new experiences for me.

What struck me to my core, however, was being screamed at by an individual protester, “Go home, nobody wants you here, Nazi.”

I am not a Nazi, and Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, is and will always be my home.

But freedom of speech is not just under attack in my home. Although the protests at the Knowles-Polumbo event may have been extreme, they were just one manifestation of a growing problem.

In recent weeks, Campus Reform has been following the outbursts of trans rights activists at both the Cabot Phillips and Riley Gaines speeches that were held at the University of Pittsburgh, which were met with hostility from students and the broader community.

Gaines was also physically and verbally assaulted by activists at San Francisco State University, where she was locked in a room for three hours until the San Francisco Police Department was able to secure her exit.

Matt Walsh experienced similar backlash when he had to cancel his university speaking tour due to death threats because of his traditional views on biological sex.

More at the link: https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=22407