Here's some sportsmanship for ya

In HS lacrosse the clock keeps running once a team is ahead by 12 goals. I think it's a good thing.

Last season we were playing a prep school team that was far more talented that us. With about 30 seconds left in the game, up 22 goals, the opposing coach called time out so his goalie could get an offensive stick and try to score a goal. The kid won the face off, carried the ball right down the middle of the field, and stuck a goal right in the top corner with about 5 seconds left. Insult to injury.

It took a great deal of restraint to keep me from punching this coach in the face, and the turd had the colossal stones to tell me I had "no class" for refusing to shake his hand after the game.

calling it a mercy rule ... up by 12... whatever the score, that's debatable.

gotta see two sides of the story - the goalie got a once in a lifetime chance, perhaps or maybe now he has experience to get better for a new position.

in wresling they have tech falls. if you are up by more than 15 you win. that's not a mercy rule, it's part of the sport. i've seen guys that are terrible on the mat wrestling. they take someone down and let them get up, giving up a point. they take them down they let them back up again, they'll always keep taking them down. they always keep letting them get up again. (pissing the night away). eventually, they win the match 30-15. i've seen a few matches won in the first period that way, actually.

I am not saying that... Just speed the game up an put them out of their misery.

It is obvious when a certain will win, what's the point of dragging it out.

It has nothing to do w/lowering the bar and e everything w/raising the bar!

again, like in wrestling. anyone who's wrestled long enough can pick out the winner 99 times of 100 before they step on the match. should that mean the likely loser should get aid? should that mean he shouldn't even wrestle?

in track it was the same way. i remember a particular race against a much weaker school and one kid told me he had a time far better than he ever had - knowing it was better than mine when he was over 2 full seconds behind me in the 110HH. I blew him away by over 3 seconds that race, 2 seconds ahead of the 2nd placer on my own team.

maybe yale should have just gave up, too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

calling it a mercy rule ... up by 12... whatever the score, that's debatable.

gotta see two sides of the story - the goalie got a once in a lifetime chance, perhaps or maybe now he has experience to get better for a new position.

in wresling they have tech falls. if you are up by more than 15 you win. that's not a mercy rule, it's part of the sport. i've seen guys that are terrible on the mat wrestling. they take someone down and let them get up, giving up a point. they take them down they let them back up again, they'll always keep taking them down. they always keep letting them get up again. (pissing the night away). eventually, they win the match 30-15. i've seen a few matches won in the first period that way, actually.

Then try getting the goalie to score against a good team that is killing your team!

Goalies usually don't score... I don't know what is worse your position on this or a sympathy ph*ck. Yeah, score on the bad team! Huh? "Once in a lifetime?" Bet it made him really proud that he scored on a team that didnt even belong being matched up with them... Any of them, even the goalie!

Then try getting the goalie to score against a good team that is killing your team!

Goalies usually don't score... I don't know what is worse your position on this or a sympathy ph*ck. Yeah, score on the bad team! Huh? "Once in a lifetime?" Bet it made him really proud that he scored on a team that didnt even belong being matched up with them... Any of them, even the goalie!

why would i be sympathetic on the field of sports?

is there a particular reason? honest question.

Drag that one out so you can sit on your couch all sweaty cover in remnants of Cheetos masturbating.... I see how you like it...

he said he didn't watch last nights wrestling finals. only the special ones got to enjoy the cheetos and lotion last night.

basketball, cheerleading, volleyball, tennis, water polo or archery.

it does not matter. competition and sports are the same. sportsmanship.

going back and forth with you is a lost cause, historically proven.

Not a lost cause, for me that is. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition. It's just when people like you take competition to the unhealthy edge is when I get the heatburn.

Peace...

Drag that one out so you can sit on your couch all sweaty cover in remnants of Cheetos masturbating.... I see how you like it...

I never watched a wrestling match in my life. Do they even put that sh*t on TV? Well outside the "fake wrestling" that is.

Not a lost cause, for me that is. There is nothing wrong with healthy competition. It's just when people like you take competition to the unhealthy edge is when I get the heatburn.

Peace...

I never watched a wrestling match in my life. Do they even put that sh*t on TV? Well outside the "fake wrestling" that is.

i will take time to respond once more briefly.

1) it is a lost cause with you, you do not argue. similar to me you just share your thoughts against all others without constructive argument or criticisms.

2) healthy competition happens from time to time but seldom are there teams where such things happen. the ncaa tournament now is proof. the best 64 teams in the country and only 5 or 6 are truly better than the rest.

3) people like me - what a ridiculous statement.

4) take it to ridiculous levels...etc... how so? by playing my best against anyone i have the opportunity of facing? by doing so within the rules of the sport? by doing so with dignity when defeated, with pride after a loss and in victory doing no more?

and yes, they put wrestling on television. and if you ever want to play a real sport which will teach anyone valuable life lessons, step on the mat. there are only a handful of sports which can be held on the same level for the extreme level of athleticism, toughness and mental focus as wrestling. gymnastics is the one that comes closest.

I guess I just have a different perception of HS sports based on my experience. The HS I went to in CNY was a state power house. We were contending for section/state titles just about every season. We beat most teams handily. But my coach preached character and class, and would never run up the score intentionally on some lowly team.

Now giving 3rd/4th stringers the green light to fire away is one thing. The those kids come to practice every day, work hard, and deserve to score goals for their efforts. Calling time out with a running clock when there is 5 seconds to go (up 22 goals) so your goalie can score is classless and despicable.

In HS, if my team was up more than 10 goals with 5 minutes left we would get the "red light" call from coach. Just passing....no shooting. Teaches young student-athletes good character, and shows respect for their (albeit vastly inferior) opponent.

I saw my son get manhandled by Sectional champ when he was about 15. The other kid was built like a brick **** house and was an amazing wrestler. Afterward, my son was ok with it because he knew the kid was dedicated to wrestling and my son was more into acting/studies/fishing, etc. But as my son grew into wrestling, he had matches where he was the aggressor and was able to dominate someone else. Similarly, the kids on the losing team in this article will remember this game and will beat up on some other smaller team some day. I hate to say it but it's "the circle of life". It does suck, but it has been happening for years and years.

quick, lower the bar so everyone can get over it! instead of shooting free throws after a foul the player should be given a hug and one point for being hurt.

tough it up, play the game or don't do either.

pussification of uhmerika.

complete and utter bull ****.

I saw my son get manhandled by Sectional champ when he was about 15. The other kid was built like a brick **** house and was an amazing wrestler. Afterward, my son was ok with it because he knew the kid was dedicated to wrestling and my son was more into acting/studies/fishing, etc. But as my son grew into wrestling, he had matches where he was the aggressor and was able to dominate someone else. Similarly, the kids on the losing team in this article will remember this game and will beat up on some other smaller team some day. I hate to say it but it's "the circle of life". It does suck, but it has been happening for years and years.

That's not what I'm talking about & I think you know that. BTW, doesn't wrestling have rules in place to keep a match from getting totally out of hand?

complete and utter bull ****.

why? if you're able to call my view of this bs can i call yours soft? i'm not trying to mince words with ya beer, because you know i respect you...a lot.

what he did was well within the rules. if his players celebrated and danced after, it may be against the rules.

if you're within the rules of the sport than how is it unsportsman like? sure, it's not exactly a nice gesture to the other team. but it is the best gesture to his team. thats what matters. his jv squad wants to play varsity and to do so they must master their teams scheme and play. the more reps at it in competition the better.

if people complain about such things as this they should find other sports.

Edited by Boyst62

why? if you're able to call my view of this bs can i call yours soft? i'm not trying to mince words with ya beer, because you know i respect you...a lot.

what he did was well within the rules. if his players celebrated and danced after, it may be against the rules.

if you're within the rules of the sport than how is it unsportsman like? sure, it's not exactly a nice gesture to the other team. but it is the best gesture to his team. thats what matters. his jv squad wants to play varsity and to do so they must master their teams scheme and play. the more reps at it in competition the better.

you can call my view whatever you like as long as you leave sexual preference and masturbation out of your response. What you're saying is, to me, BS. Your bravado whether false or real gets tiring.

you can call my view whatever you like as long as you leave sexual preference and masturbation out of your response. What you're saying is, to me, BS. Your bravado whether false or real gets tiring.

I don't feel that he's trying to impress or intimidate anyone.... Maybe I'm wrong...

I guess I just have a different perception of HS sports based on my experience. The HS I went to in CNY was a state power house. We were contending for section/state titles just about every season. We beat most teams handily. But my coach preached character and class, and would never run up the score intentionally on some lowly team.

Now giving 3rd/4th stringers the green light to fire away is one thing. The those kids come to practice every day, work hard, and deserve to score goals for their efforts. Calling time out with a running clock when there is 5 seconds to go (up 22 goals) so your goalie can score is classless and despicable.

In HS, if my team was up more than 10 goals with 5 minutes left we would get the "red light" call from coach. Just passing....no shooting. Teaches young student-athletes good character, and shows respect for their (albeit vastly inferior) opponent.

I am w/you 'Sticks... Agree...

Fair enough boyst...

Wrestling really shouldnt be compared to the other games... Wrestling is primal. I say that not in a bad way. I say it because it just can't be compared w/the other games.

I am w/you 'Sticks... Agree...

Fair enough boyst...

Wrestling really shouldnt be compared to the other games... Wrestling is primal. I say that not in a bad way. I say it because it just can't be compared w/the other games.

Actually it can. Wrestling coaches get to slide wrestlers up or down depending on the match up they want. Believe it or not, wrestling is 30% tribal and 70% brains. It really is. But I'm not here to argue that point. As far as basketball goes, it's a kick in the butt to lose by 100...should the coach for the team that was losing just quit at halftime and not go on the court? What kind of a message would that send?

In HS lacrosse the clock keeps running once a team is ahead by 12 goals. I think it's a good thing.

Last season we were playing a prep school team that was far more talented that us. With about 30 seconds left in the game, up 22 goals, the opposing coach called time out so his goalie could get an offensive stick and try to score a goal. The kid won the face off, carried the ball right down the middle of the field, and stuck a goal right in the top corner with about 5 seconds left. Insult to injury.

It took a great deal of restraint to keep me from punching this coach in the face, and the turd had the colossal stones to tell me I had "no class" for refusing to shake his hand after the game.

What state are you referring to? This is not a standard rule in HS lax. In youth lax, they have a two and three pass rule when a team is up six, but at the HS level, they do not keep the clock rolling.

Not to speak for anyone, but a coach should rotate the bench when they are up like this. Doesn't sound like this guy did that and that is shameful on many levels. You see it at collegiate and pro levels when a game is out of hand, they play the backups, which in the big picture is the right thing to do. What if one of the starters got hurt in garbage time, not to mention that a starter may get hurt at some point and a reserve player may be needed to step up.

All it takes is one pissed off kid to foul someone extra hard and running up the score like that could blow up in your face quickly. Now maybe the other school has a reputation or the type of kids that wouldn't do something like that, but it's definitely a risk to keep agitating them like that. All it takes is one.

What state are you referring to? This is not a standard rule in HS lax. In youth lax, they have a two and three pass rule when a team is up six, but at the HS level, they do not keep the clock rolling.

Very few things are "standard" in Vermont. This is a rule that was imposed by the Vermont Principals Association; the governing body for HS athletics in the state.

Very few things are "standard" in Vermont. This is a rule that was imposed by the Vermont Principals Association; the governing body for HS athletics in the state.

Running clock is used here in Illinois HS Lax. I know the clock rule very well, my son's Lax team sux royally... But they try, last two games this season, they didn't need the running clock. Progress!

All it takes is one pissed off kid to foul someone extra hard and running up the score like that could blow up in your face quickly. Now maybe the other school has a reputation or the type of kids that wouldn't do something like that, but it's definitely a risk to keep agitating them like that. All it takes is one.

Yup. Not my proudest moments but some kid was sinking shots in a game against us and taunting our bench and my buddy who was guarding him.

Asked my friend to switch with me so I could guard him, he went up for a shot, I pulled his leg out and he landed hard on his hip. I was immediately pulled from the game, got a technical and didn't set foot on the court the rest of the game but that kid stopped being a jerk.

We would have lost with or without the technical, but I made sure he knew he wasnt going to pull that crap to my teammates and get away scot free.

I refereed wrestling for one season, years ago. Modified, so grades 7/8. I was at a tournament and this kid was getting killed. BUT he wasn't trying, either. After they went out of bounds, the losing kid's coach called me over and told me if his kid went to his back again, just call the pin. So I did. That kid did all but quit, so his coach did it for him. I thought it was the right move at the time, and still do.

This basketball game is a different scenario, though. By all accounts, the losing team was trying. I think, since there was no mercy rule available, if the winning coach was being a dick (clearly, he was), then the losing coach should have somehow, very discretely (perhaps at half, or via a messenger) gotten the message to the winning coach a) you're being a dick; b) take the foot off the gas; or c) if you won't stop being a dick, then we'd rather forfeit the remainder of the game.

The only lesson learned in this situation was how to be a schitty winner. Nobody wins with that lesson (remember, this is supposed to be about the kids).

As far as the "wait till the get in the real world," yes, Cletus - I get that ... but how about a slower learning curve? Not to mention, any self-respecting adult should remove himself from a situation in which he's being abused, or treated that poorly, right?

There's a time for tough life lessons like that. Parents should be in charge of helping to teach those lessons; not some ass hole coaches who only care about winning.

And this is not about lowering any levels, either. It's about respect and courtesy - which are both more important than a score in a high school sporting event.

Just my dos pesos.