Nigel Bradham's comments about Rex Ryan's defense

Please give me the facts of how the plan has not failed using actual team win/loss records. Giving me your opinions, your hopes, your beliefs for the future are not facts. Facts are what will educate me. Give me actual facts of how last years team, or this years TEAM as a whole is better than the pre-Pegula teams. Pre Pegula teams had numerous players who didn't just have potential, but proved their ability by their play and their player statistics as proof. Drafting a player/players who "has potential" is not a fact until he actually displays that potential. Potential is a belief, not a fact.... ??????

Two actual facts are that we now have Rienhart and Eichel on our team. Far better players at their respective ages than anyone on our last playoff team. That was a major goal of the tear down and was successfully brought to fruition.

I don't fault your skepticism as ultimately, it all needs to translate to wins and playoff berths. And that remains to be seen.

But again, citing the designed tear down and rebuild of the Sabres as an example of Pegula incompetence is weak at best. So far, that plan is working to perfection.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. I understand it was intentional. But unlike so many Buffalo sports fans, I do not suffer from having such low expectations based on years of suffering and misery for having losing teams for my whole lifetime. Most fans in Buffalo have set the bar so incredibly low, they accept incompetence and losing as a way of life.

It is 2016, how many more promises of a 5 year plan for building a competitive team are you willing to accept, only to be handed another 5 year plan when the last one fails? The very fact that it was intentional is why I fault the ownership. They gutted what posters have called a "mediocre" team to build a better one. But after 4 years we now have a bottom dwelling team that is showing no signs of ever climbing out of that cellar. The facts don't lie, you can have "faith" the team is getting better, but the standings show a different story. Show me the proof, don't feed me Koolaide and beliefs.

A pattern of failure with the Sabres, and destroying the Bills defense show a repeat of a pattern. Pegula preaches consistency, but has tore down a very good Buffalo defense, brought in Rex who wants to rebuild the team in his image and brought in his brother and his record of failure. The team has made decisions that put the team in "cap hell", to "win now " last year. They "lost now" and failed.

Don't feed me platitudes and excuses. Give me a competitive team that shows me it is competitive by the only results that count, actual win/loss figures. Not with opinions and beliefs that things will be better "next year".

I am aware the gutting of the Sabres was an intentional plan, and the facts show a failure of that plan over 3 years later.

I fear the Bills will backslide this year as the result of management's new intentional plan to gut the defense and rebuild it to fit Rex's desires. I don't see any facts to prove the defense will be better this year than the one they are gutting to build it. Expecting to get more than 1 new above average starter in the defense as a rookie player in their first year in any draft year defies history and is unrealistic. All draft choices have still been shown to be a big gamble, no matter how much research or how good the scouting staff is. All the holes created by the rebuild are not going to be filled this year by the draft. And because of the incompetency in cap management, FA will not be there to help. Letting players like Bradham go is not by itself a bad plan, but doing so without a realistic plan to get a better player to replace them when they are gone is what makes it a bad plan. And this team has created holes to fill everywhere.

bolded

thanks for the insult since you have us all figured out and corralled like cattle. generalize much?

under lined part. Its just a Bradham, a 4th round pick who never really shined did he? And how the heck do YOU know they do not have a plan? are you a soothsayer of sorts.

Get some windex on that nasty olde crystal ball of yours

Yep. Time to give up.

nevergiveup ever. that is the definition of a loser.

retreat , make adjustments and make a new plan of attack.

Please give me the facts of how the plan has not failed using actual team win/loss records. Giving me your opinions, your hopes, your beliefs for the future are not facts. Facts are what will educate me. Give me actual facts of how last years team, or this years TEAM as a whole is better than the pre-Pegula teams. Pre Pegula teams had numerous players who didn't just have potential, but proved their ability by their play and their player statistics as proof. Drafting a player/players who "has potential" is not a fact until he actually displays that potential. Potential is a belief, not a fact.... ??????

Muddling facts with your opinions perhaps?

Bradhams potential is not a fact is it?

: )

bolded

thanks for the insult since you have us all figured out and corralled like cattle. generalize much?

under lined part. Its just a Bradham, a 4th round pick who never really shined did he? And how the heck do YOU know they do not have a plan? are you a soothsayer of sorts.

Get some windex on that nasty olde crystal ball of yours

nevergiveup ever. that is the definition of a loser.

retreat , make adjustments and make a new plan of attack.

Muddling facts with your opinions perhaps?

Bradhams potential is not a fact is it?

It's just like a farmers trying to date city girls with the hope of ultimate happiness. They have given up and started looking on farmersonly.com :lol:

Surprisingly, you might find the better woman long term is the country girl. Ultimate happiness LOL! Like a unicorn

But my lesson applies even more so with your analogy in regard to womens.

never give up. because some day you will find what works.

Try, freak out, retreat, regroup reload , and get back after it!!

I know some folks here are hard head and bummed about being Bills fan. But if that is what one chooses to do.

please find some joy in it !

Like wow! We have a nice O line coming back! looking forward to the continuity up for for the first time in forever. How cool is that?

and heck its a pretty decent group on balance

bolded

Well the username "simpleman" would support the theory that he generalizes people into boxes.

As he did in his post.

Simpleman: taken on a shallow year to year perspective, you have points. I suggest you expand your view to a multi-year plan. That's where the there is.

ame="Jerry Jabber" post="3894783" timestamp="1457896859"]

One: You have no proof players were trying to get Rex fired nor have I ever heard this.

Two: Mario and Preston Brown did not perform well last season yet were good to very good in 2014. What changed in 2015?

Three: It shouldn't take all year to learn a system and if players are having a hard time learning it, then its on the coach to adjust.

Again, these are facts I've mentioned numerous times over the past 4 months.

1. Never heard that either

2. Mario didn't like what he was being asked to do, so he phoned it in. Blame Rex for not sitting him, but he didn't make Mario quit. Preston simply didn't have the wherewithal, knowledge or command ability to run the defense. I'd blame Rex for putting to much faith in him.

3. I never understood this argument. It's the players job to learn the playbook, no? These are professionals making millions, DO YOUR JOB.

I'm willing to accept the belief we don't have the right players to execute Rex's scheme. My concern is we also aren't adding players to fit his scheme. We used our 1st pick last year on a corner to help play it, but we did not sign anyone last year who could help transition to a 3-4, and aren't likely to sign anyone of substance this year. It seems the people who gave him a pass last year will also be forced to give him a pass this year if we don't show improvement, that puts him into year 3 before we can supposedly accurately judge him.

In my opinion, Rex should have recognized the good thing he had in Schwartz and his defense and left that in place. A good coach is able to adapt to his talent and scheme for them to succeed. A bad coach runs his principles regardless of talent and throws his hands up at not having players that fit.

Very good post!

I too am tired of fans being blamed for this mess. We thought we were getting a tough, aggressive defensive mind. I bought into this, until I saw Mario and Marcel dancing around, and consistently going backwards into coverage. There is no excuse for being down more than 60% in sacks. Not one.

I enter this season with very low expectations. We rewarded poor coaching by giving Rex's brother a job. How many teams would do something this stupid?

you're going to get called out for saying they dropped and be told they only dropped a certain level of times.

it is all too strange that dareus spoke out against the schemes, than mario, than lawson (yes lawson was quoted saying it's complex and nothing negative but it was negative for a reason you'll see below)... players talked on and on...

mario or anyone on that dl who is paid to attack the qb...not doing so...is laughable.

How has the plan failed with the team one year beyond the intended drop to the bottom with them still in the midst of the roster rebuild? You still don't get it.

the plan failed because rex failed. rex insisted he would not tinker or change up the defense. he did. he lied. he was in over his head in getting schemes and packages in there and we can't just blame the coordinators and position coaches. the d was rex's baby.

one year in to a plan is hard to fail, but rex sure did so. he failed in that he was not true to his word and could not coach. he let slacking players play. he couldn't get plays in. he could not get personnel in the right positions and placements. he did not use his best asset in the best fashion. he continuously left players not skilled for his scheme out to dry on the field - the players didn't fit and rex did nothing to adjust for this and kept forcing his square peg in the round hole.

rex failed. if you disagree, please, offer a reasonable response to this beyond 2 or 3 sentences besides just disagreeing and saying something silly.

It's just like a farmers trying to date city girls with the hope of ultimate happiness. They have given up and started looking on farmersonly.com :lol:

cute, but i date city girls all the time. and do quite well.

plus farmersonly.com is a joke. when it came out a girl i was dating at the time saw the commercial and checked it out. its nothign but wannabe country girls on 4 wheelers, at a carrie underwood concert or drinking pbr.

I'm willing to accept the belief we don't have the right players to execute Rex's scheme. My concern is we also aren't adding players to fit his scheme. We used our 1st pick last year on a corner to help play it, but we did not sign anyone last year who could help transition to a 3-4, and aren't likely to sign anyone of substance this year. It seems the people who gave him a pass last year will also be forced to give him a pass this year if we don't show improvement, that puts him into year 3 before we can supposedly accurately judge him.

In my opinion, Rex should have recognized the good thing he had in Schwartz and his defense and left that in place. A good coach is able to adapt to his talent and scheme for them to succeed. A bad coach runs his principles regardless of talent and throws his hands up at not having players that fit.

again, Do you really think Jim Schwartz wanted to play under Ryan?

He surely expected to supersede the idiot that was Marrone as HC. who wouldn't?

There was NO WaY IN HELL Jim was going to DC for Ryan.

that acceptance is a major issue of why rex failed. if he is a 1 dimensional coach, than so be it, but it's a lot to invest in a coach who has never won and is a perennial loser - and proven as such.

schwartz was called a loser before he came but he was not the hc. he came in and said he would succeed and offered changes to his own scheme to do so. he succeeded. yes, it was an anomaly to get that good that fast in the way we did, but there is no reason to believe he would not have had success in 2015 if allowed to do so before rex fired him.

you're going to get called out for saying they dropped and be told they only dropped a certain level of times.

it is all too strange that dareus spoke out against the schemes, than mario, than lawson (yes lawson was quoted saying it's complex and nothing negative but it was negative for a reason you'll see below)... players talked on and on...

mario or anyone on that dl who is paid to attack the qb...not doing so...is laughable.

the plan failed because rex failed. rex insisted he would not tinker or change up the defense. he did. he lied. he was in over his head in getting schemes and packages in there and we can't just blame the coordinators and position coaches. the d was rex's baby.

one year in to a plan is hard to fail, but rex sure did so. he failed in that he was not true to his word and could not coach. he let slacking players play. he couldn't get plays in. he could not get personnel in the right positions and placements. he did not use his best asset in the best fashion. he continuously left players not skilled for his scheme out to dry on the field - the players didn't fit and rex did nothing to adjust for this and kept forcing his square peg in the round hole.

rex failed. if you disagree, please, offer a reasonable response to this beyond 2 or 3 sentences besides just disagreeing and saying something silly.

cute, but i date city girls all the time. and do quite well.

plus farmersonly.com is a joke. when it came out a girl i was dating at the time saw the commercial and checked it out. its nothign but wannabe country girls on 4 wheelers, at a carrie underwood concert or drinking pbr.

whats wrong with Pabst Blue ribbon?

Rex got himself turned around, realized he was screwed and had difficulty recovering.

I don't think he lied. I think he just f'd up.

I am quite sure his recent meditations will clear his mind and define his purpose.

He should have never compromised his process for the players sake. Thats weak sauce.

we are glad you do well with city girls they mostly have short attentions spans. and are looking at their phones or taking selfies

again, Do you really think Jim Schwartz wanted to play under Ryan?

He surely expected to supersede the idiot that was Marrone as HC. who wouldn't?

There was NO WaY IN HELL Jim was going to DC for Ryan.

I don't know if Schwartz would have wanted to play under Ryan, but there was no way in hell he was going to stay coach under him.

They interviewed Schwartz a week before they hired Ryan. During his interview for the HC job, Schwartz made it crystal clear he was not interesting in staying for anything less than the HC position. Whaley and the Pegulas were keenly interested in retaining Schwartz as DC in the event they offered the HC job to someone else, but Schwartz simply wasn't interested.

GO BILLS!!!

whats wrong with Pabst Blue ribbon?

Rex got himself turned around, realized he was screwed and had difficulty recovering.

I don't think he lied. I think he just f'd up.

I am quite sure his recent meditations will clear his mind and define his purpose.

He should have never compromised his process for the players sake. Thats weak sauce.

we are glad you do well with city girls they mostly have short attentions spans. and are looking at their phones or taking selfies

listen to player interviews. he changed stuff he said he wasn't going to. beerball has one of the best posts on this topic i've seen. its around here somewhere.

he got himself turned around? how? week 16 and 17 players and coahces said they just let the players play. yes, that's coaching becuase he finally stopped being stupid but he was already stupid. 2 weeks don't fix 15.

I don't know if Schwartz would have wanted to play under Ryan, but there was no way in hell he was going to stay coach under him.

They interviewed Schwartz a week before they hired Ryan. During his interview for the HC job, Schwartz made it crystal clear he was not interesting in staying for anything less than the HC position. Whaley and the Pegulas were keenly interested in retaining Schwartz as DC in the event they offered the HC job to someone else, but Schwartz simply wasn't interested.

GO BILLS!!!

ha my poor wording i suppose.

I thought that Jim has HC interest again. be fun to see how he fares in Philly. home of cheese whiz

listen to player interviews. he changed stuff he said he wasn't going to. beerball has one of the best posts on this topic i've seen. its around here somewhere.

he got himself turned around? how? week 16 and 17 players and coahces said they just let the players play. yes, that's coaching becuase he finally stopped being stupid but he was already stupid. 2 weeks don't fix 15.

I meant the beginning of the season. He talked it up and he realized he could not implement some hybrid with success. I will stand on that game two against the Pats when Rex was doing some weird assd coverage stuff was when he said oh shucks. this aint gonna work. so all that implementation was a wash of sorts. Pretty hard to change up in the season i might guess ?

Of the spackling food group.

GO BILLS!!!

If i spits my soda out one more time i am billing you

and seriously what wrong with Pabst? because its 3.2 beer?

Edited by 3rdand12

GO BILLS!!!

please pin this for all the posters who insist we would have gone to the playoffs if they had only hired Hue Jackson and simply kept Schwartz as DC (which he didn't want). With what QB I have no idea, but apparently it would have been on like a mofo. Edited by YoloinOhio

Beer,

There is no disputing what you said there at all

I only say that because it happened you cant blow it up......because

- The bar was set exceptionally high

- It is not the norm for a scheme change to be extremely successful in its first year......as a matter of fact....it is COUPLED with the fact that the bar is exceptionally high. If our D would have been average in 2014 then nobody would have been looking at last years D they way they are now.

Gotta at least give Rex a chance to fix it

I am giving Rex a chance to fix it (I don't really have a choice, do I?)...but I gotta say, it was a terrible coaching job by him. He deserves every bit of the criticism he has taken, IMO. An ascending team, they say, has "a window" to achieve something...by my estimation, Rex, the coach, shut that window on his team. He deserves credit for improving the offense (or at least putting together the personnel and coaching staff to improve it), but he blew it on the other end..the defense. Defense is supposed to be his thing...being a "player coach" is supposed to be his other thing. To me, he failed monumentally on both fronts.

I heard/read somewhere in discussing Rex, a great comparison to Mike Tomlin. MT was a "Tampa 2" defensive co-ordinator...it was his trademark, what likely got him his head coaching job with the Steelers. Yet, when he got to the Steelers, he was bright enough to realize he didn't have the personnel on hand to run his defense, so he stuck with what had been successful for the franchise, for years, under LeBeau...eventually, as time passed, Tomlin converted the Steelers defense to his own model, but he didn't go all ham-fisted and try to force it on his team, at the cost of wins/losses...the bottom line for a head coach has to be doing whatever it takes to win. He took over an upper echelon defense, and honestly, blew it up.

I am not one of those who believes that Mario Williams is done, has suddenly "hit the wall" of age, and has no use any more. You might argue that his attitude sucked (and it did), but I find it unacceptable that Rex, the player coach, couldn't get his most talented players on the same page, for an entire season...as losses piled up...he just did a poor job of reading his team. There was really no other reason, I think, that this wasn't a playoff team in 2015.

And, the argument about the bar being high is kinda' flimsy too... if public perception set it high, Rex kept egging them on...as if saying something is going to be great will make it great, without doing all the leg-work necessary to ensure it actually turns out that way. I don't think anyone would have complained too much if the team dropped 5 spaces or so in defensive rankings...but they fell off the map under Rex's guidance...they went from being the teams' greatest reason for hope of a playoff season, to being, perhaps, one of its' biggest liabilities. There was just too much talent there to for them to mail in that performance.

Edited by Buftex

please pin this for all the posters who insist we would have gone to the playoffs if they had only hired Hue Jackson and simply kept Schwartz as DC (which he didn't want). With what QB I have no idea, but apparently it would have been on like a mofo.

I too think it is an important feature in the Pegulas rule o'er the land of Buffalos.

Maybe some folks did not know, and maybe some forgot. Maybe others turned a blind eye.

Pegulas made the decision.

For me ? I gotta just roll with it.

what might've been?

well it aint.

and here we are

so how about that Nigel ?

created a bit of a stir round here its seems.

Would anyone would have kept him at what Philly cream cheesed Eagles paid him?

Would anyone guess Bills cannot draft a bit better in this particular year?

Edited by 3rdand12

please pin this for all the posters who insist we would have gone to the playoffs if they had only hired Hue Jackson and simply kept Schwartz as DC (which he didn't want). With what QB I have no idea, but apparently it would have been on like a mofo.

I think this upcoming year is gonna say a lot......

Schwartz was not successfull with every defense......

Hue was fired by the raiders after ONE season (unjustly I thought)

But this much I can say....all the people clammoring for Schwartz and Hue.....and making fun of the clown car Rex drives....if they falter at their current team you wont hear a PEEP out of those people hoping that everyone forgets their silly statements

This is not to say that RR and his brother will be successful here.....only that armchair QBing GMinising is so friggen easy

I am giving Rex a chance to fix it (I don't really have a choice, do I?)...but I gotta say, it was a terrible coaching job by him. He deserves every bit of the criticism he has taken, IMO. An ascending team, they say, has "a window" to achieve something...by my estimation, Rex, the coach, shut that window on his team. He deserves credit for improving the defense (or at least putting together the personnel and coaching staff to improve it), but he blew it on the other end..the defense. Defense is supposed to be his thing...being a "player coach" is supposed to be his other thing. To me, he failed monumentally on both fronts.

I heard/read somewhere in discussing Rex, a great comparison to Mike Tomlin. MT was a "Tampa 2" defensive co-ordinator...it was his trademark, what likely got him his head coaching job with the Steelers. Yet, when he got to the Steelers, he was bright enough to realize he didn't have the personnel on hand to run his defense, so he stuck with what had been successful for the franchise, for years, under LeBeau...eventually, as time passed, Tomlin converted the Steelers defense to his own model, but he didn't go all ham-fisted and try to force it on his team, at the cost of wins/losses...the bottom line for a head coach has to be doing whatever it takes to win. He took over an upper echelon defense, and honestly, blew it up.

I am not one of those who believes that Mario Williams is done, has suddenly "hit the wall" of age, and has no use any more. You might argue that his attitude sucked (and it did), but I find it unacceptable that Rex, the player coach, couldn't get his most talented players on the same page, for an entire season...as losses piled up...he just did a poor job of reading his team. There was really no other reason, I think, that this wasn't a playoff team in 2015.

And, the argument about the bar being high is kinda' flimsy too... if public perception set it high, Rex kept egging them on...as if saying something is going to be great will make it great, without doing all the leg-work necessary to ensure it actually turns out that way. I don't think anyone would have complained too much if the team dropped 5 spaces or so in defensive rankings...but they fell off the map under Rex's guidance...they went from being the teams' greatest reason for hope of a playoff season, to being, perhaps, one of its' biggest liabilities. There was just too much talent there to for them to mail in that performance.

I actually cant argue with any of this very much.