Nigel Bradham's comments about Rex Ryan's defense

A very good read.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2016/3/11/11200722/nigel-bradham-buffalo-bills-personnel-didnt-match-rex-ryan-defense

This shows what i was afraid of. That the ultimate Jim Schwartz defensive scheme that made the Bills defense so dominant in 2014 was extinct in 2015 under Rex Ryan.

I always believe that Rex was a clown, along with his brother, and that he isn't head coach material.

I'm afraid to say this, but I feel like the defense will regress this year under Rex too until Rex is fired.

Why didn't we give J. Schwartz a head coaching offer he couldn't refuse? The defense was stellar. The offense was getting its feet wet.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very good read.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2016/3/11/11200722/nigel-bradham-buffalo-bills-personnel-didnt-match-rex-ryan-defense

This shows what i was afraid of. That the ultimate Jim Schwartz defensive scheme that made the Bills defense so dominant in 2014 was extinct in 2015 under Rex Ryan.

I always believe that Rex was a clown, along with his brother, and that he isn't head coach material.

I'm afraid to say this, but I feel like the defense will regress this year under Rex too until Rex is fired.

Why didn't we give J. Schwartz a head coaching offer he couldn't refuse? The defense was stellar. The offense was getting its feet wet.

So a player....who did not play well in the scheme his HC employed....left and talked doo doo about it

and you....who already had a pre conceived opinion about said HC now says that you had worst fears and this confirmed it.....because of course said player who was not resigned by the bills said so

ok?

Edited by John from Hemet

So a player....who did not play well in the scheme his HC employed....left and talked doo doo about it

and you....who already had a pre conceived opinion about said HC now says that you had worst fears and this confirmed it.....because of course said player who was not resigned by the bills said so

ok?

Haven't we all agreed the personnel and scheme didn't match? I don't understand what you're fighting here.

Yeah, it didn't really sound like he was bashing Rex, just pointing out in year 1 that the personnel wasn't a perfect match for the scheme.

I guess you could take this as some sort of confirmation, but I don't see anything in this that all parties wouldn't more or less agree with.

Yeah, it didn't really sound like he was bashing Rex, just pointing out in year 1 that the personnel wasn't a perfect match for the scheme.

I guess you could take this as some sort of confirmation, but I don't see anything in this that all parties wouldn't more or less agree with.

Yeah he wasn't bashing Rex. He just gave insight from a players perspective that the reason he left was because of how Rex ran the defense and it didnt match the personnel. We're only missing a couple players from 2014 to now. I'm worried about the success of the defense, is all.

A very good read.

Pretty sure this is already being discussed in a thread somewhere.

But regardless, how is this "a good read"? It's literally ONE quote from one player. And if anything that one quote is throwing top players under the bus by saying "some of them" (*cough* Mario *cough*) didn't buy in and "it didn't work out", rather than saying Rex is a clown...

The problem is the Bills fron office went all in to win in 2015. They used up their salary cap wiggle room to upgrade the offense, taking several chances, and most of them worked out. But Wrecks wasn't all in to win in 2015. He was in to install his 2010 or so Jets defense. The dominant defense Pettine and Schwartz built didn't fit, so Wrecks used 2015 as preseason to find players to fit his system. The offense did get better but the defense is now in free fall, and by the time Wrecks gets the players he wants, if he isn't fired first, Kyle Williams will join Mario Williams as ex-Bills (Kyle will retire), Gilmore will be gone due to someone else paying insane money for a good CB, and we'll be back to a couple of good players with a ton of mediocrity holding them back. In other words, just what we've gotten used to over the past decades, with rare flashes of excellence.

We had our chance, last year, and the arrogance of Wrecks pissed it away.

As good as our defense was under Schwartz, I would hardly classify it as "dominant." We haven't had a dominant defense in years. Not since the days of Phat Pat.

We were good in a couple nice statistical areas, but let's reserve the term "dominant" for defenses that really merit the title.

GO BILLS!!!

No surprise. It takes a year or two to match personnel with scheme. I still think we bring in a few depth players and draft 1-2 guys that will step in as better scheme fits. Nothing here says Rex can't coach d.

...Just his recent history...

The problem is the Bills fron office went all in to win in 2015. They used up their salary cap wiggle room to upgrade the offense, taking several chances, and most of them worked out. But Wrecks wasn't all in to win in 2015. He was in to install his 2010 or so Jets defense. The dominant defense Pettine and Schwartz built didn't fit, so Wrecks used 2015 as preseason to find players to fit his system. The offense did get better but the defense is now in free fall, and by the time Wrecks gets the players he wants, if he isn't fired first, Kyle Williams will join Mario Williams as ex-Bills (Kyle will retire), Gilmore will be gone due to someone else paying insane money for a good CB, and we'll be back to a couple of good players with a ton of mediocrity holding them back. In other words, just what we've gotten used to over the past decades, with rare flashes of excellence.

That's is a whole bunch of assumptions rolled into one post. I can make some as well, here goes; Rex taught the defense his scheme during training camp and saw there was some "push-back" or reluctance of some players to 'get into" the new scheme. Rex knowing that the defense was stout the last 2 years under Pettine and Schwartz decides to do a mix between his own scheme and that of the Pettine/Schwartz scheme to mollify players. Rex understands that even though his scheme has proven successful, so has Pettine and Schwartz's recent schemes as well. The season starts and our defense for the beginning part of the year is "ok". Rex tries to install a little more of his scheme to the mixed scheme they are running to improve the defense, but it makes it worse. He backs off a bit and uses a little more of the prior regime's scheme and it doesn't seem to help as well. As the season progresses and the clearer the picture becomes to who can and/or will do the Rex scheme becomes apparent, as well as our playoff hopes are finalized. Rex finally goes "all in" on his own scheme the last 2 games and our defense plays some great ball. Thinking about the season in retrospect, Rex realizes that he should have stuck with his full out scheme from the first game and endeavors to not only bring the current players up to full speed on the scheme but also bring in new players, as well as drop existing players, to solidify that scheme for the upcoming season.

A very good read.

Because Shwartz has a bad HC rap that no team wanted to deal with. This is why he is still a DC. I wouldve preferred we kept Shwartz but Rex wrecked it and our 1st dominant Defense since 2004. In a perfect world Rex would have pulled a Tomlin in PItts, by keepin Shwartz and letting him run the defense, hiring Gro, bringing in Taylor and Incognito and just supervised the team adding good players, picks, and handled the press while letting this coordinators do their jobs instead of meddling and putting our defense into destroy and rebuild mode.

Ill agree with your comment except Gilmore. Whaley wont let him get away, we have new cap room next year and its more than enough to extend Gilmore Glenn and Taylor if need be.

As good as our defense was under Schwartz, I would hardly classify it as "dominant." We haven't had a dominant defense in years. Not since the days of Phat Pat.

We were good in a couple nice statistical areas, but let's reserve the term "dominant" for defenses that really merit the title.

GO BILLS!!!

Thank You!!

The defense was not Dominant, it was aggressive at times but far from dominant. The "dominance" was their ability to get after the QB. When they weren't getting after the QB, they were good against the run at times but susceptible at others. The D was horrible against the pass(see Leodis) and very weak stopping anyone when they weren't blitzing.

If anyone wants to look at the "dominant" D under Pettine, please look up any stat that isn't related to sacks!!! That D was atrocious overall and couldn't stop anybody.

I think there is a myth out there, because this team has sucked for so long, that somehow the team was great the two years prior to Rex. It wasn't and it was far from dominant!

Like it or not the Bills are locked into a Rex 3-4 complex D.

Now they need a NT , LBs and S

Most of all they need the D players to buy in and study

This could take at least 2 good drafts to pull off

That's is a whole bunch of assumptions rolled into one post. I can make some as well, here goes; Rex taught the defense his scheme during training camp and saw there was some "push-back" or reluctance of some players to 'get into" the new scheme. Rex knowing that the defense was stout the last 2 years under Pettine and Schwartz decides to do a mix between his own scheme and that of the Pettine/Schwartz scheme to mollify players. Rex understands that even though his scheme has proven successful, so has Pettine and Schwartz's recent schemes as well. The season starts and our defense for the beginning part of the year is "ok". Rex tries to install a little more of his scheme to the mixed scheme they are running to improve the defense, but it makes it worse. He backs off a bit and uses a little more of the prior regime's scheme and it doesn't seem to help as well. As the season progresses and the clearer the picture becomes to who can and/or will do the Rex scheme becomes apparent, as well as our playoff hopes are finalized. Rex finally goes "all in" on his own scheme the last 2 games and our defense plays some great ball. Thinking about the season in retrospect, Rex realizes that he should have stuck with his full out scheme from the first game and endeavors to not only bring the current players up to full speed on the scheme but also bring in new players, as well as drop existing players, to solidify that scheme for the upcoming season.

The defense did play better towards the end of the season and we beat a motivated jets team with momentum with mostly scraps of back ups on the field that was encouraging but, could also be seen as Rex knowing his former team and their weaknesses and exploiting them.

Like it or not the Bills are locked into a Rex 3-4 complex D.

Now they need a NT , LBs and S

Most of all they need the D players to buy in and study

This could take at least 2 good drafts to pull off

Also it kinda sucks were gonna have to rely on rookies to study a 300 page playbook, complicated scheme, and adjust to NFL game speed a the same damn time....its gonna work or blow up in Rexs face

Haven't we all agreed the personnel and scheme didn't match? I don't understand what you're fighting here.

I don't get it either....we all had high expectations for 2015 season and we flopped as a defense...why are many defending Ryan....and now we have his brother.

Here is the thing, Schwartzs D was good for the Bills personnel 2 yeas ago. That D needs a dominant front 4. It relies more on talent and less on scheme. This is good. The front 4 have the autonomy to usually just control their had with either a rush of clog for the run. Problem with this is cost. In Scwartzs D you have to pay 4 maybe 4 guys premium dollars. Of course you still have to have good corner play, which will come at a price as well.

Now Rex's D is more scheme based less individual talent based. Rex's D is based off the unit working together as 1. Rex's D relies on outstanding corner play, leaving them on an island so the other 9 guys can attack.

2 vs 4 premium paid .

My thought at least.