Report: Fitzy to hit the market

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another viewpoint:

http://www.pressreader.com/usa/new-york-post/20160311/282621736818325

Jets are offering less than Chase Daniels.

Mark Dominick makes good points. Fitz has money in the bank and he can just sit and watch the Jets go through the Kaep and RG3 motions and then what?---draft another QB? Start Geno? Team mates would go nuts. A nightmare scenario for the GM

According to this site, Fitzpatrick has an estimated net worth of $24M. His salary dating back to 2005 sums to something like $39M. He seems like a firmly grounded guy, so I doubt he's been squandering it. If indeed the Jets are offering him less than Chase Daniels, a 29 yr old backup with 2 career starts and 1 career TD and INT, I do think Fitz has a right to say "huh, that's what I'm worth to you? How about I sit over here and play Scrabble and make it to all my kids soccer games, Thankyouverymuch".

If Sexton is trying to get Fitz Brock Osweiler money, I don't think he'll manage that and in fact, he could price Fitz out of the market - Osweiler got crazy money for a guy who has started 7 games in 4 years. I can see where a team that has a D to win now, like Denver, would be more attracted to Kaepernick if they can land him and if Kubiak feels he can "rehabilitate" him. They probably have the cap space to accommodate his contract, as well.

I don't see how the Jets and their $2.5M cap space make a serious run at Kaepernick and his $12M 2016 salary + $2M roster bonus.

If he's getting a deal of $8 mil / yr with incentives up to $12 mil / yr that is low. It doesn't matter that some teams are over paying for QB's like Osweiler. Kaepernick, and RG3 are terrible from the last couple of years watching them play.

The Jets don't have all of the power as they could be left with Geno. Fitz problem is he isn't getting any other offers. If the Jets as Mark Dominic mentioned in the attached article can meet in the middle, no one loses. Give Fitz $12 mil a year and a one year guarantee of $12 mil. He'll have to repeat, and see what happens.

Here's Fitzy's dance card:

2005, 2006 - St Louis

2007, 2008 - SinSinatty

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 - Buff

2013 - Ten Thumbtacks

2014 - Houseton

2015 - JESTS

He always leaves for a shot and more money. He puts the "journey" in Journeyman.

You said "Well, we all know that Fitzy has a higher opinion of himself than any GM has that he's worked for for more than a year or two." There is only one GM that Fitz has worked for "more than a year or two" and that is Nix. So if you mean "Fitz thinks more of himself than Nix did", just say so!

Agreed, he puts the "journey" in journeyman, but Fitz typically doesn't "leave for a shot and more money". His 2nd GM on the Rams traded him for a 7th round pick (his draft round). The Texans traded him for what became a 6th round pick (you got to give it to him, he's held his draft value). The Bills and Titans released him. The only team that he arguably left for a shot was the Bengals to sign with Buffalo.

The best summation of Fitzpatrick's relationship with his various teams was the journalist who said something like "Fitzpatrick has a history of teams wanting to move on from him, but doing a wholly inadequate job of replacing him."

If he's getting a deal of $8 mil / yr with incentives up to $12 mil / yr that is low. It doesn't matter that some teams are over paying for QB's like Osweiler. Kaepernick, and RG3 are terrible from the last couple of years watching them play.

The Jets don't have all of the power as they could be left with Geno. Fitz problem is he isn't getting any other offers. If the Jets as Mark Dominic mentioned in the attached article can meet in the middle, no one loses. Give Fitz $12 mil a year and a one year guarantee of $12 mil. He'll have to repeat, and see what happens.

Machine gun, I think the problem is the Jets don't have the salary cap space to give Fitz a 1 year, $12M deal. They would have to give him a several year deal with a lower salary this year and a healthy signing bonus they can split up over several years.

Well, we all know that Fitzy has a higher opinion of himself than any GM has that he's worked for for more than a year or two.

If you mean "higher opinion of himself than Buddy Nix does", why don't you just say so?

Here's Fitzy's dance card:

2005, 2006 - St Louis

2007, 2008 - SinSinatty

2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 - Buff

2013 - Ten Thumbtacks

2014 - Houseton

2015 - JESTS

He always leaves for a shot and more money. He puts the "journey" in Journeyman.

Are you suggesting he left all of those places on his own just for greener pastures?

Putting it in context (above), and justifying my personal biases. :lol:

Sure looks like he's overplayed his card with at least 2 teams. What is his leverage at this point? Is he going to threaten to retire?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Jimmy Sexton's office when he's talking to Fitz. He's known for playing a high-stakes game of chicken with his guys.

But certainly, Fitz is in a position where he could say "make it worth my while or I'll sit", kind of like Orton shook down the Cowboys and Bills and showed up just before the season. It really comes down to how much does Fitz love playing football and how much does Fitz want to stay with Gailey and the Jets?

Putting it in context (above), and justifying my personal biases. :lol:

Well at least you admit it. Plus I got to have a soft spot for a guy with a Tim the Enchanter avatar.

Fitz must have seen this deal

Chase Daniels $7M a year , 3 years + big incentives

$12M initially guaranteed (signing bonus + 2016 salary, 2016 roster bonus, $5M of 2017 salary)

2016 Roster Bonus: $3M

70% playing time, (8-10 wins): $7.5M

3,500 passing yards: $3.75M (for all 3 years)

19 TD Passes: $3.75M (for all 3 years)

$12M initially guaranteed (signing bonus + 2016 salary, 2016 roster bonus, $5M of 2017 salary)

One report was that the deal offered to Fitz by the Jets was "a little better than Chase Daniel" and another "not as good as Chase Daniel".

I wonder what Sam Bradford with his recently signed 2 year, $35M contract ($11M signing bonus, $7M guaranteed salary this year, $4M guaranteed next) thinks about this.

I'm also sure Fitz is looking at Bradford's contract and thinking "huh" (and for the record, Bradford has never sniffed a playoff game either)

Edited by Hopeful

Things are starting to look bad for Fitzy...

Probably so. Where can he go to be a starter? Fitzy lost his big contract money in week 17 last year. Had he not stunk up the field with EJ-level hellaciousness, the JESTS probably would have given him more this year. He am what he am.

Hello Geno

@rapsheet

This is a surprise: #Jets QB Ryan Fitzpatrick is expected to hit the free agent market, sources say. Sides are far apart on a potential deal

well... he'll start somewhere, he's a gamer and can play a little. he;s probably not getting you to the promised land, but in any event, good for him

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/chase-daniel/

the Jets indicated their offer was slightly more than Daniel's.

That deal screwed the Jets.