Is a Former President Considered a Veteran?

I can't find the answer to this question. Now that we're headed into electing our 3rd consecutive president with no prior military service, it's got me wondering.

Since the President is the Commander in Chief, it would make sense that he (or she) is "part of the military" since, as Commander in Chief, they head all military branches.

I'm torn about this - mostly because one of our recent Presidents was a draft dodger. Calling him a veteran doesn't sit well with me.

This is a serious question to which I am in search of a definitive (link would be necessary) answer.

Prayerfully yours,

Gugny

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find the answer to this question. Now that we're headed into electing our 3rd consecutive president with no prior military service, it's got me wondering.

Since the President is the Commander in Chief, it would make sense that he (or she) is "part of the military" since, as Commander in Chief, they head all military branches.

I'm torn about this - mostly because one of our recent Presidents was a draft dodger. Calling him a veteran doesn't sit well with me.

This is a serious question to which I am in search of a definitive (link would be necessary) answer.

Prayerfully yours,

Gugny

Your disrespect for the coast guard sickens me.

No.

Not just no but HELL NO.

And GWB was a member of the national guard, so technically a veteran.

This clown tho?

:lol:

Actually, I'd be all for considering Barack Obama a veteran.

Actually, I'd be all for considering Barack Obama a veteran.

On what basis? He was never a member of the military. Ex-presidents like Eisenhower and Kennedy, for example, can be considered veterans because of their service as members of the military. Any president not a member of a military branch, simply doesn't qualify.

I say no. Wouldn't Reagan have earned a Purple Heart for the attempt on his life had he been considered an actual member of the military?

He barely got shot!

There's getting shot and not getting shot. Barely getting shot does not exist.

I'll wing you with my glock and see if you feel you've been barely shot.

Not true. He got grazed. Brady got shot. But Brady wasn't President, so it's irrelevant. Obama should get the honor.

What has Obama done? GW was at least in harms way.

I really don't want this to go to PPP, but GW put himself (and our troops/country) in harm's way voluntarily. President Obama was DIRECTLY responsible for taking bin Laden down.

I really don't want this to go to PPP, but GW put himself (and our troops/country) in harm's way voluntarily. President Obama was DIRECTLY responsible for taking bin Laden down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duLds-TZMGw

Lest we forget, GW landed in a war zone and faced live fire from ground to ground weapons of mass transportation. The end result? MISSION shoe dodge ACCOMPLISHED. Obama microwaved a bag of popcorn and watched his minions do his dirty work. I think you see the difference.

Edited by Jauronimo

Punctured lung and internal bleeding is not grazed.

it's certainly not shot. I can get a punctured lung and internal bleeding falling off of a step ladder.

Lest we forget, GW landed in a war zone and faced live fire from ground to ground weapons of mass transportation. The end result? MISSION shoe dodge ACCOMPLISHED. Obama microwaved a bag of popcorn and watched his minions do his dirty work. I think you see the difference.

Gold, Jerry! Gold I tell ya!

If you take a detailed look at the Constitution, the separation of powers clearly vest military power with the President..."The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States". Interestingly, though, the Constitution does not grant military powers with regard to the Marines, the Coast Guard or the Army Corps of Engineers. So really, he can kick ass with the Army and the Navy, but he can't tell the Marines, the Army Corps of Engineers or the guys in the speed boats what to do.

My understanding is the President is a veteran of the Army and Navy...but not for the other branches like the Marines, Army Corps of Engineers, the Coast Guard or the Postal Service.

If you take a detailed look at the Constitution, the separation of powers clearly vest military power with the President..."The President shall be commander in chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the militia of the several states, when called into the actual service of the United States". Interestingly, though, the Constitution does not grant military powers with regard to the Marines, the Coast Guard or the Army Corps of Engineers. So really, he can kick ass with the Army and the Navy, but he can't tell the Marines, the Army Corps of Engineers or the guys in the speed boats what to do.

My understanding is the President is a veteran of the Army and Navy...but not for the other branches like the Marines, Army Corps of Engineers, the Coast Guard or the Postal Service.

Well technically the Marines are a Department of the Navy. Granted we are the mens department but... :nana: