Is a Former President Considered a Veteran?

okay now that it's moved to PPP

Put down the Kool Aid©

The world does not always share the same world view as you. And when somebody points out the inconsistency in your view by applying the same logic to another scenario (Obama vs Reagan), don't go off hinting at subtle Racism©

do you not know roger? meet roger. roger was bored. he was trying to one up fergy

that people are fallign for this...hilarious.

Edited by Boyst62

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny (not !@#$ing really) that people get behind a white ex-president who traded !@#$ing arms with our enemy over our black President who coordinated the effort to bring down the person responsible for 9/11.

This country will never close the gap between black and white. !@#$ing crazy.

No that's not why we're behind Reagan vs Obama. What the !@#$ does their skin color have to do with this? I truly hope you stick around now that his has been moved because you're being an ass. It amazes me that the party that preaches diversity is the one that uses labels. If it weren't so sad it'd be fue.

The US Constitution defines the president as the commander-in-chief of the Army, Navy, and state militias.

The VA defines a veteran as person who served in active military, naval, or air service who has been released honorably.

US code Title 10 Subtitle A Part I Chapter 101 Section 101 defines active duty as full-time duty in the active military service of the United States.

The position of "Commander in Chief" is not considered an Active Duty military rank and does not qualify as military service.

No. He's CinC, but that's very specifically a civilian, not military. position. Much like the Secretary of Defense, who is theoretically in the chain of command, but a civilian as well.

The US military has what's pretty much a dual military-civilian command structure, where at a high level each senior military commander has a corresponding civilian commander (e.g. the Assistant Secretary of the Navy roughly parallels the Vice CNO.) The President is the only high level where that mirroring is combined into one person...but that has always been considered a civilian position, for the simple reason that our form of government has always specified civilian control of the military, rather than military control of the civilian government (which would be the case if the President were considered a member of the military.)

Ergo, the President cannot be considered a veteran just because he was President. (I.e. Kennedy was a veteran, for serving in WWII before he was President. But Clinton would not be a veteran, having never been part of the military otherwise.)

"Coordinated the effort?" What happened to "DIRECTLY responsible?" You idiot.

Thank you...

/thread

Anyway... Myself & others as civilians working for the Army, our top district boss is a Colonel AND a civilian District executive. We get a new Colonel (usually Colonel... Does it have to be the rank of Colonel?) every THREE years. Now, like you said... The chain is followed right up with Generals and civilian execs. Then, merged into one: the Prez/CinC. Now... Sidenote. VETS do get prefence w/Federal hiring.

On the wall of my work powerhouse are pictures that represent that chain of command:

Distict Commander

General of The Corps

Then Army

The Prez.

Again Gug... The military is not just made up of JUST UNIFORMED service members. The Prez is the director of many more civilians in the military than uniformed service members. Of course @ CinC you can't have two bosses... The "buck has to stop" somewhere, gee I wonder who said that and took slack for it? Hmmmm, that Prez (Truman) served in the Army Guard...

Now... What's the difference between a uniformed vet and non-uniformed vet? I guess one would be a civilian... Both are serving their country right? Just in different capacities... ???

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Again... Should the term "Veteran" only mean uniformed veteran... There are many (actually more)non-uniformed service members overseas & in harm's way doing jobs just as important.

Why does everything have to be compartmentalized and turned into a pissing contest between "who is doing more important work/service"... If one is serving their country, they are serving their country... Just in different capacities.

Another point... Any Gr8 organization tries to refrain too much "inbreeding"... Maybe it is me, but Gr8 organizations have diverse talents that represent more than one career path.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Thanks for your service EX! :thumbsup:

Not Jefferson :bag:

I work with many retired "Vets"... I work w/many that were not in the uniform service... We are all DoD DoA employees... Is a DoD DoA uniform service member serving their country any "more" just because they serve under a different set of rules. We are all born civilians. The ones that go into uniform service serve under rules that differ... Rules that need to be changed from civilians because uniform service members have to take orders in a different way... And the military aspect doesn't enable choice or say in the matter when following an order. In the uniform service ONE either follows the order or gets the hell out of that service. Civilan have more rights and choice. One can't militarily lead a band of civilian soldiers too well... Yet, their are hybrid civilan soldiers like our past militias and present Guards...

Please... For anybody who finds this offensive... It is not intended to be. I respect everybody's service... Some just have to follow stricter guidelines, have less rights and freedom of choice.

14 Presidents were never in uniform: John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, Millard Fillmore, Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, Woodrow Wilson, Warren G. Harding, Calvin Coolidge, Herbert Hoover, Franklin D. Roosevelt, William Jefferon Clinton, Barack Hussein Obama II.

That is 14/44.

There is an earthen dam that is ready to rupture in Mosul, Iraq... And possibly wipe out close to a MILLION people... I wonder how many non-uniform (along w/of course the much more heralded uniform service) service member engineers are on the job... Serving this country, other countries, the world, AND HUMANITY!

http://www.vietnambreakingnews.com/2016/02/u-s-warns-citizens-to-be-ready-to-leave-iraq-if-mosul-dam-collapses/

Me asking you serious questions (do you consider all Presidents as veterans or just Obama) is not trolling you responding with dumbass answer is trolling.

Obama got bin laden. First hand experience with military. Aka veteran

Bush caused 9/11 and started the war in Iraq plus was in the reserve. Aka veteran

Clinton was involved in black hawk down war and that makes him a veteran

Bush sr defended Iraqi freedom and was involved with the war. Ala veteran

Reagan had no wars. He was not a veteran.

Obama got bin laden. First hand experience with military. Aka veteran

Bush caused 9/11 and started the war in Iraq plus was in the reserve. Aka veteran

Clinton was involved in black hawk down war and that makes him a veteran

Bush sr defended Iraqi freedom and was involved with the war. Ala veteran

Reagan had no wars. He was not a veteran.

Lebanon, Grenada.