Airline Complaints

shrader

I'm curious if any have had luck filing complaints after bad travel experiences with airlines. My wife and I flew out to Vegas on Friday (technically saturday after reading this story) and that and the return flight were a series of screw ups. Our first flight was a connection through Chicago (we're in Raleigh). Due to mechanical issues, that flight was delayed. The delay was going to be long enough to make us miss our connection to Vegas. Not a great start there.

I worked with the agent at the desk for at least a half an hour with little luck. Ultimately, they put us on a flight to LA and then we'd catch an early morning flight to Vegas. She said they'd put us up in a hotel for the night. Fine, it seemed like the best option, as opposed to staying home and getting into Vegas much later the following day. So when we landed in LA, there's no record in the system that we're owed the free hotel. After a good amount of fighting, we finally got that, but by then it's 2AM eastern time and we had been up since 5AM. We were put in a room where they had been working on the sink, complete with a tool kit still sitting in there. So we have to get that changed too.

The morning flight to Vegas was fine, the only one of the trip that worked out. Still, we're into town 14 hours later than originally planned and stuck paying for one night at the resort that we weren't even there for. All of this was booked through travelocity, so I'll be checking with them to see if we can get anything back, but I doubt it. And speaking of that, the flights were actually two different airlines, United to Vegas, American back. United actually bumped us to an American flight (that one to LA), then we caught a United flight in the morning to Vegas.

Fasf-forward to the return trip. I was having no luck printing boarding passes from the hotel, so we decided to get them at the airport instead. The machines aren't working for us either. We have to talk to an agent. It turned out that when United changed our friday night flight, they also somehow deleted our reservation for the return flights (connecting through Miami). They sent us off to another agent who after a long series of phone calls was able to get us back onto those same flights, which were oversold. But thanks to the amount of time it took, we weren't able to eat breakfast/lunch at the airport as we had planned. So we're stuck on that long American flight to Miami without having eaten, and they just happen to be a cheap airline that doesn't give any snacks.

Also on that flight to Miami, as we're about to board, they announce that the overhead bins are full and larger roller bags will have to be checked, which you can pick up at baggage at your final destination (yeah, you know where this is going). So we've got no choice, had to check one bag. As we're boarding, we were greeting by a ton of available overhead bin space, so who knows why they forced that upon us and a few others.

Our connection in Miami wound up being delayed one hour, no big deal. But as you've already guessed, that checked bag never made it to Raleigh. It sounds like they had major screw ups in Miami, as there was a line about 20 deep from just our flight of bags that didn't make it. This is also all happening at 1AM this morning, so everyone's thrilled. We'll see if/when I actually get that bag today.

Sorry for the long post. It's good to vent though. Do you think I'll have much of a chance of getting anything back from these two airlines? I'll try with travelocity too, but my initial chats with them during the initial delay weren't exactly productive.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks. However not really much you can do. The problems all resulted from the original delayed flight and the airline will say that's beyond their control. I assume you already tried arguing with the Vegas hotel over the missed night, so I doubt there's much you can do there either. If you're feeling up to it, you can try and make calls to see if anything can be done, as there's no harm in trying.

All of this was booked through travelocity, so I'll be checking with them to see if we can get anything back, but I doubt it.

I think venting here will get your more relief than calling anyone. Travelocity is the worst-- you will be connected with service people in India, who are nice but unhelpful.

You're screwed with Travelocity. JR sums it up perfectly. You'll get no help.

We went to NYC in November. Through Travelocity we booked a round trip shuttle for the airport and hotel. First trip fine. Return to the airport they are insisting we should have a voucher from either the shuttle service or TC. The guy with the van was a 3rd party contractor. He needed that as proof for him to get paid. We had never gotten any paperwork. My wife was on the phone non-stop with TC and the shuttle, and then when we got home too. Never got anything other than accused of us messing up our paperwork. We NEVER got any. I ended up paying the contractor guy cash at the airport as none of this was his fault. He tells me: "Oh with TC you saved $2 off our every day price" BFD!

Edited by MarkyMannn

I think venting here will get your more relief than calling anyone. Travelocity is the worst-- you will be connected with service people in India, who are nice but unhelpful.

I did have a useless encounter with one of their support people during our delay. I had a hard time cutting through his accent. He did everything in his power to make sure the hotel wouldn't cancer our reservation due to the late arrival. He completely ignored me when I tried to ask about any reimbursement for the lost day. The response was something along the lines of "you're all set now, do you have any other questions" each time I asked about money. After the third attempt, I gave up. I would have tried to take it to someone higher up the ladder, but we were about to board the new flight.

I'm going to try again today, but I don't expect much.

I did have a useless encounter with one of their support people during our delay. I had a hard time cutting through his accent. He did everything in his power to make sure the hotel wouldn't cancer our reservation due to the late arrival. He completely ignored me when I tried to ask about any reimbursement for the lost day. The response was something along the lines of "you're all set now, do you have any other questions" each time I asked about money. After the third attempt, I gave up. I would have tried to take it to someone higher up the ladder, but we were about to board the new flight.

I'm going to try again today, but I don't expect much.

Yep sounds about right. Don't bother trying again. It's an hour of your life gone with nothing to show for it. LOL

My wife was on a flight from Boise to Oak. There was a quick stop in Las Vegas and seeing she was on the same plane didn't get off. She got up to use the restroom and while she was gone the flight attendant took her coat from the overhead compartment thinking it was left there. When my wife landed in Oak and realized her coat was missing. They had her jump through hoops and she even sent a letter to the CEO. It got kicked back to her with a "sorry.....not responsible for lost or stolen items." Seriously?!?!? :censored: you. Pay for the goddamn jacket.

Yep sounds about right. Don't bother trying again. It's an hour of your life gone with nothing to show for it. LOL

I'm at 1 hour and 47 minutes currently. It actually sounds like progress though. We'll see how much I actually get out of this. This is all about the lost night at the hotel, the other stuff with the airlines is what I fully expect to go nowhere. The only think I expect to gain out of that is the knowledge of two airlines to never use again.

My wife was on a flight from Boise to Oak. There was a quick stop in Las Vegas and seeing she was on the same plane didn't get off. She got up to use the restroom and while she was gone the flight attendant took her coat from the overhead compartment thinking it was left there. When my wife landed in Oak and realized her coat was missing. They had her jump through hoops and she even sent a letter to the CEO. It got kicked back to her with a "sorry.....not responsible for lost or stolen items." Seriously?!?!? :censored: you. Pay for the goddamn jacket.

It's probably a post for the pet peeves thread, but coats in the overhead bin are a big part of why I still don't have the bag I was forced to check.

So couple of things here...mechanical issue is absolutely 100% on the airline, weather is not. I believe by rule of carriage they needed to get your destination in the most direct route possible and pay for your room, which they did.

Unfortunately, you are not getting back that one night in Vegas...they will say that is what travel insurance is designed for!!!

And they routinely say the overhead is full as it just takes extra time for people to find space, and that takes a few extra minutes to close the doors, which leads to a few extra minutes to leave the gate...which leads to the flight being marked late. Does not matter that you sit two feet from the gate for 30 minutes...that plane is on time if it left the gate, not the runway!

Sometimes it is Murphy's rule on plane travel.

BTW, i will move a coat to on top of rollerboard all the time, i always ask first.

Edited by plenzmd1

I actually did get the refund for the first night in the hotel. So far so good. I'd love to know their process for returning lost bags though. They gave me a tracking number and the bag has been sitting at the airport here for 4 hours now. I guess I'll be making that phone call shortly.

I actually did get the refund for the first night in the hotel. So far so good. I'd love to know their process for returning lost bags though. They gave me a tracking number and the bag has been sitting at the airport here for 4 hours now. I guess I'll be making that phone call shortly.

They will give you the option to pick it up in exchange for a $45 (or something close) voucher, or to have it delivered. Call now. You may be able to get it today.

1st problem is using Travelocity instead of looking into booking everything yourself. 2nd was flying United. 90% of the time someone tells me about a bad airline experience, they were on United. American is not much better. I use Delta myself.

Airlines should literally do away with overhead compartments and make everyone check everything that can't fit under the seat in front of you (coats, purses, backpacks).

That would really suck! But I also say that as someone who travels frequently for business(and hates it) , so all those extra 30 minutes waiting on bags would be awful.

What they need to do away with is reclining seats.

That would really suck! But I also say that as someone who travels frequently for business(and hates it) , so all those extra 30 minutes waiting on bags would be awful.

What they need to do away with is reclining seats.

Amen to that. The reclining serves no purpose other than stealing someone else's space.