Rex won't change

vegas55

IF the Bills still had Schwartz as the DC and Rex focused on coaching, this team could've broke the wall of mediocrity and could've made a decent playoff push.

But, that didn't happen...

Cap strapped in '16, a star RB on the verge of getting suspended for 2-16 games for beating off duty police officers, hiring a twin brother who coached one of the worst defenses in the league in '15 and multiple question marks surrounding scheme/difficulty to process Rex's D package with the players we have, leaves this upcoming season with A LOT of work for Whaley and Co.

Edited by KollegeStudnet

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the trend sort of breaks when you look at who was #30...

Hint: Lombardi trophy

Meh.

Three of the teams ranked 20-32 made the playoffs, and the other two were from the league's two worst divisions (AFCS/NFCE) I'm pretty confident your outlier disproves nothing.

Also, it was intended to highlight that our offense wasn't really that good.

And as far as the "team" game goes, it's a stat that has direct bearing on the defense.

Edited by The Big Cat

During the Super Bowl on Radio Row multiple Broncos defensive players credited Wade Phillips on his coaching.

More than one said that the reason why their defensive game plan was top notch under their first season with Wade as DC was because he SIMPLIFIED and made plays easy to understand and UTILIZED PLAYER STRENGTHS.

I wish all Bills defensive players say this about the Ryan bros and Thurman after they win SB51. #dreambig

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Which games and how did his 'ineptness' result in a loss?

Bills had 8 losses

NE1 - "Just let the other team score by not trying to tackle them" philosophy turned out to be their undoing

Giants - Defensive guys not knowing where they belonged on the field due to the overly complex scheme results in game clinching touchdown on a play designed by the offense to go for a moderate gain.

Bengals - Lack of adjustments from NE1 produces same result. Offense also performs poorly

Jags - Offense digs hole, climbs out, defense blows it with help of ref. I don't bale the D for this loss.

NE2 - Defense plays well in relatively tight loss. Can't blame the D. Week 11 and there have finally been some adjustments. Things are looking up.

KC - Did I say adjustments? Just kidding. Horror show of epic proportions.

Eagles - Sam Bradford tears Rex a new one

Redskins - At will does not even begin to describe this fiasco.

Those are the 8 losses. I cannot see how the D gets blamed in NE2, Jax and potentially Cin. Pick any 3 of the remaining 5 to easily fulfill the initial poster's statement or explain how four of those 6 were not on the pathetic D. And remember it doesn't matter if you blame Mario for those games, Zika virus and world hunger, because he was part of the D.

If you don't feel like answering the above, please explain how the Rex D will contribute to a successful 2016 for the Bills. I prefer this as I would very much like to be optimistic.

Pick any 3 of the remaining 5 to easily fulfill the initial poster's statement or explain how four of those 6 were not on the pathetic D. And remember it doesn't matter if you blame Mario for those games, Zika virus and world hunger, because he was part of the D.

If you don't feel like answering the above, please explain how the Rex D will contribute to a successful 2016 for the Bills. I prefer this as I would very much like to be optimistic.

Easily. :lol:

I'll happily show you what 'easily' doesn't look like. But I won't bother, I don't foresee you or any other crusaders on the Rex Death March being even remotely rational about any of this.

Meh.

Three of the teams ranked 20-32 made the playoffs, and the other two were from the league's two worst divisions (AFCS/NFCE) I'm pretty confident your outlier disproves nothing.

And as far as the "team" game goes, it's a stat that has direct bearing on the defense.

But being number 31 in sacks is perfectly fine right? Especially after being #1 the previous year? What a joke.

What was more likely going into 2015:

A first year starting QB struggling on 3rd downs or

The 2014 sack champs dropping to #31?

But you somehow cherry pick which #31 matters because you are trying to prove Rex's defense is somehow acceptable? Why? It isn't.

Easily. :lol:

I'll happily show you what 'easily' doesn't look like. But I won't bother, I don't foresee you or any other crusaders on the Rex Death March being even remotely rational about any of this.

Convincing. And I'm not on a Rex death march for 2016. i just see it as inevitable, albeit regrettable for 2017.

Cuz. Rex. Sux.

Edited by 4merper4mer

It's a non-starter with you and company. Again, your word choice is alarming. You've already convinced yourself of all of this.

Easily was used because 5 is a greater number than 3 which was the original number used by another poster. Are you saying 5 is less than 3? Equal? Does the Rex D use common core math?

And don't forget option 2 which was:

I've given you a few opportunities to explain yourself and your answer seems to be to call me a poopy head.

Edited by 4merper4mer

This is from Parcells autobiography on his first year in NE and inherenting the players he was given on D:

" The scheme I used is what I thought was best for the players I had THAT year. I tried to use the players I had in a system that allowed their talents to flourish. The sign of a good coach is one who will fit the scheme to the personel, at least temporarily, until he can begin to integrate people more in line with his philosophy" It's a good read Rex. You might learn something.

Convincing. And I'm not on a Rex death march for 2016. i just see it as inevitable, albeit regrettable for 2017.

Well said, Cray.

Nobody is on a so-called death march just for the heck of it. Nobody is on a so-called death march due to any personal reasons. Rex is a fun character and seemingly a decent human being who we are ALL rooting like hell for.

However, opinions have been formed on his head coaching acumen based on watching Rex Ryan coach a division rival for 7 years plus the loaded roster that made up the 2015 Bills.

Many Bills fans simply demand an adaptable coach who can build and sustain a winning program.

Many fans produce well-reasoned arguments in favor of Rex, which is quite valuable to the discussion.

OTOH sometimes an optimistic fan will look to circumvent the discussion by crying subjectivity.

The evidence you provided was wildly slanted and dubious, at best.

Which should make it easy to refute. You can't dispute we lost the 8 games I listed because we did. I gave you free squares on 3 of the 8. To get below 3 you only have to cross off 3 more. Word is Kirk Cousins just threw yet another touchdown to Jordan Reed so you may want to avoid that fiasco.

Easier still should be explaining your optimism for Rex's defense in 2016. I want to be optimistic. I am a willing listener to your theory, but you offer nothing. Rex's defense has also offered exactly that....nothing....for multiple years running now. The title of this thread is "Rex won't change". Maybe you think he will and can explain why. Maybe you think he doesn't need to change and that his defense will work again after its long hiatus.

Well said, Cray.

Nobody is on a so-called death march just for the heck of it. Nobody is on a so-called death march due to any personal reasons. Rex is a fun character and seemingly a decent human being who we are ALL rooting like hell for.

However, opinions have been formed on his head coaching acumen based on watching Rex Ryan coach a division rival for 7 years plus the loaded roster that made up the 2015 Bills.

Many Bills fans simply demand an adaptable coach who can build and sustain a winning program.

Many fans produce well-reasoned arguments in favor of Rex, which is quite valuable to the discussion.

OTOH sometimes an optimistic fan will look to circumvent the discussion by crying subjectivity.

The bolded part there, I don't think that is exactly accurate.

PPG is a great stat, but 3 and out is a much better stat than 3rd down conversion to measure efficacy of an offense. 3 and out means you did NOTHING.

Well, other than giving the D a shorter field to defend.

Thank you. By why this is needed to be said, I'll never know.

Meh.

Because the D has to go right back onto the field again?

The Bills were 8th in the League in TOP at 31:18. In fact, over their last 3 games, they increased that to nearly 34 min. Even more time for the D to rest and figure out what the call signals coming in from the sideline mean.

They were also 20th in total plays per game.

They were in the middle of the pack for punts per score.

They were 10th in number of third down conversions per game (ahead of NE, GB, KC, Cincy, Pittsburgh...)

They were tied for 4th in yards per play

They were 13th in yards per game.

They were 20th in Drive Success Rate (% of drives that result in 1st down or TD)

But... their 3 and out rate was 4% points higher than teams 14 spots higher up the list.. Denver was no better, and some of those top performing teams in this category include... the Saints, Chargers, Buccaneers, Ravens..).

Well, other than giving the D a shorter field to defend.

Because the D has to go right back onto the field again?

The Bills were 8th in the League in TOP at 31:18. In fact, over their last 3 games, they increased that to nearly 34 min. Even more time for the D to rest and figure out what the call signals coming in from the sideline mean.

They were also 20th in total plays per game.

They were in the middle of the pack for punts per score.

They were 10th in number of third down conversions per game (ahead of NE, GB, KC, Cincy, Pittsburgh...)

They were tied for 4th in yards per play

They were 13th in yards per game.

They were 20th in Drive Success Rate (% of drives that result in 1st down or TD)

But... their 3 and out rate was 4% points higher than teams 14 spots higher up the list.. Denver was no better, and some of those top performing teams in this category include... the Saints, Chargers, Buccaneers, Ravens..).

You're right. I agree with you 100%. Great. Now you don't have to waste your time anymore!

PPG is a great stat, but 3 and out is a much better stat than 3rd down conversion to measure efficacy of an offense. 3 and out means you did NOTHING.

I would go so far as to say that 3d down conversion rate is virtually meaningless. If you looked at 3d down conversion rates across the league, I'm willing to bet there would be close to zero correlation between that stat and overall offensive ranking and/or PPG.