Rex won't change

vegas55

But the Eagles don't have the same personnel as the Bills. So how does what he does in Philly show anything on what he'd do in Buffalo?

It would show whether he is smart enough to adjust his defensive approach to the talent he has on hand. Modifying one's favored scheme to suit the talent one has to work with is a quality that good coaches have. That trait was not demonstrated by Rex last year.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would show whether he is smart enough to adjust his defensive approach to the talent he has on hand. Modifying one's favored scheme to suit the talent one has to work with is a quality that good coaches have. That trait was not demonstrated by Rex last year.

But that's irrelevant when we've had the perfect talent for his defensive approach. If he can't make it work the Philly, it doesn't matter. He would've made it work here, he already did.

But that's irrelevant when we've had the perfect talent for his defensive approach. If he can't make it work the Philly, it doesn't matter. He would've made it work here, he already did.

Schwartz didn't have perfect talent (your description) when he coached in Buffalo. That isn't an accurate characterization of the talent he had on hand. He maximized the talent he had on the defensive line and by doing so he covered up the weaknesses, most notably with our LBs. What it came down to is that he emphasized the defense's strengths and minimized its weaknesses. That is the opposite of what Rex did. He neutralized the defense's strengths of the d-line and exposed the weaknesses of our linebacking corps.

The mistake that many people are making when discussing the coaches is associating them with schemes when that isn't the core issue. Smart coaches adjust to the talent that have to work with. Limited coaches adhere to their defensive philosophy even when they have too many players not suited to play the scheme they are overly attached to.

Schwartz will not take the same approach with the Eagle defense that he did with Buffalo because his players have different talent levels and different skill sets. Of course there will be similarities but there will be modifications compared to what he did in Buffalo because he is a smarter coach than the bombastic and bloviating coach that works in western NY.

Was wondering the same thing.

What Philly does next year on defense has nothing to do with how Schwartz did/would've done here.

You see.....not a down played and here come the excuses. That didnt take long

He would have? We know that with all certainty?

We were top 5 in the previous year where everyone stayed pretty healthy.....opposing teams had a year of film on our defense and all the good QBs were getting that ball out quick.

How do we KNOW that he would have done it last year? And dont say because he did it the year before because that does NOT mean it would have happened in 2015.

Schwartz didn't have perfect talent (your description) when he coached in Buffalo. That isn't an accurate characterization of the talent he had on hand. He maximized the talent he had on the defensive line and by doing so he covered up the weaknesses, most notably with our LBs. What it came down to is that he emphasized the defense's strengths and minimized its weaknesses. That is the opposite of what Rex did. He neutralized the defense's strengths of the d-line and exposed the weaknesses of our linebacking corps.

The mistake that many people are making when discussing the coaches is associating them with schemes when that isn't the core issue. Smart coaches adjust to the talent that have to work with. Limited coaches adhere to their defensive philosophy even when they have too many players not suited to play the scheme they are overly attached to.

Schwartz will not take the same approach with the Eagle defense that he did with Buffalo because his players have different talent levels and different skill sets. Of course there will be similarities but there will be modifications compared to what he did in Buffalo because he is a smarter coach than the bombastic and bloviating coach that works in western NY.

I disagree. Schwartz has been running the same scheme since he's been an DC. He has tweaked things, but the Wide-9, maximizing d-line, low exotic blitzing scheme has been the key points of every place he's ever coached. He is no more flexible than Rex. He will run his system in Philly, and if he has the horses, he'll be successful. If he doesn't, he won't.

Rex came in and ran his system, just like Schwartz did. Rex's system just had the focus on the LBs and S's, our two weakest positions, where Schwartz' was predicated on the D-line, our strongest positions.

You see.....not a down played and here come the excuses. That didnt take long

He would have? We know that with all certainty?

We were top 5 in the previous year where everyone stayed pretty healthy.....opposing teams had a year of film on our defense and all the good QBs were getting that ball out quick.

How do we KNOW that he would have done it last year? And dont say because he did it the year before because that does NOT mean it would have happened in 2015.

It's not an excuse. Stop being obtuse.

All the good QB's were getting the ball out quick? Like Peyton, Brady and Rodgers? Curious.

You're just reaching now, just the opposite of how you reach for Rex positives. Somehow a year of experience in Rex's scheme means that our safeties, our linebackers, like Preston, will all miraculously improve, no? But another year in the Schwartz scheme means they'd magically suck. You want it both ways. You can't have it.

Schwartz' system fit our defense. Rex's didn't. That's why before Schwartz left, we had one hole at S. We now have holes at NT, S, ILB, OLB, DE. This is indisputable.

If you want to nitpick and say we may have only been top 8 or so in year 2 of Schwartz, so be it. I doubt we'd have been as bad as we were with Rex, and I can't imagine you'd dispute that.

I disagree. Schwartz has been running the same scheme since he's been an DC. He has tweaked things, but the Wide-9, maximizing d-line, low exotic blitzing scheme has been the key points of every place he's ever coached. He is no more flexible than Rex. He will run his system in Philly, and if he has the horses, he'll be successful. If he doesn't, he won't.

Rex came in and ran his system, just like Schwartz did. Rex's system just had the focus on the LBs and S's, our two weakest positions, where Schwartz' was predicated on the D-line, our strongest positions.

It's not an excuse. Stop being obtuse.

All the good QB's were getting the ball out quick? Like Peyton, Brady and Rodgers? Curious.

You're just reaching now, just the opposite of how you reach for Rex positives. Somehow a year of experience in Rex's scheme means that our safeties, our linebackers, like Preston, will all miraculously improve, no? But another year in the Schwartz scheme means they'd magically suck. You want it both ways. You can't have it.

Schwartz' system fit our defense. Rex's didn't. That's why before Schwartz left, we had one hole at S. We now have holes at NT, S, ILB, OLB, DE. This is indisputable.

If you want to nitpick and say we may have only been top 8 or so in year 2 of Schwartz, so be it. I doubt we'd have been as bad as we were with Rex, and I can't imagine you'd dispute that.

Im saying that past performance does not give certainty of future performance........simple as that. NOBODY here can guarantee that Schwartz staying would have mean that this defense would not have taken a nose dive....nobody.

Now.....I will say I was not a fan of Schwartz leaving.....but when they picked Rex Ryan as the coach that was going to happen no matter what.

Lol, what?

Schwartz in Philly has nothing to do with him in Buffalo. It's a different team with different players.That's a fact not an excuse.

What are you talking about?

but.....if Schwartz had stayed we would be a top 5 defense

uh....no we dont know that

Im saying that past performance does not give certainty of future performance........simple as that. NOBODY here can guarantee that Schwartz staying would have mean that this defense would not have taken a nose dive....nobody.

Now.....I will say I was not a fan of Schwartz leaving.....but when they picked Rex Ryan as the coach that was going to happen no matter what.

Okay. So we can't be sure we won't be the 32nd defense next year. We can't be sure Preston won't be the worst ILB in the NFL for 2 years in a row after having a decent rookie campaign. Just so you know.

Schwartz's performance in Philly is still irrelevant.

Edited by FireChan

Okay. So we can't be sure we won't be the 32nd defense next year. We can't be sure Preston won't be the worst ILB in the NFL for 2 years in a row after having a decent rookie campaign. Just so you know.

Schwartz's performance in Philly is still irrelevant.

All true.....Our D could be better....Preston Brown could be worse....its true all of it.

I just hear a lot of lamenting how Schwartz is not our DC.......I am just in total wait and see mode now

Am I the only one who thinks Rex has stepped back on being so cocky? He seems more on the humble side than last year. Maybe he needs his brother to bring him back down to earth. We are stuck with him for another year so I hope for the best. We need to find a way to win 12 games this year. Yes 12. Go get em TT.

Am I the only one who thinks Rex has stepped back on being so cocky? He seems more on the humble side than last year. Maybe he needs his brother to bring him back down to earth. We are stuck with him for another year so I hope for the best. We need to find a way to win 12 games this year. Yes 12. Go get em TT.

10 wins and Rex would keep his job......book it