good news on the ralph..

This has proven false many times in many places.

They should keep the Ralph in OP. It's the only option that makes any sense at all. The state has no interest in contributing significant money (every municipality will forever be looking at the sad situation that the goofballs in STL got themselves into) and the Pegulas know that a new downtown stadium will never bring a return on investment to justify its cost.

Yep. Pegs is a self made billionaire. He didn't start life with Dad's money. One thing he knows that other idiot-inheritance NFL owners don't: economics and investing.

Good. I like the Ralph

Me too. The picture in the article shows the superior site lines the Ralph has in the bowl. Better site lines than many of these new stadiums.

Great news for fans' wallets!

Yeah. For sure. WNY is not the land of richie-rich Fortune 500 executives. I think if they build a palace, many of us would be priced out.

What they should be looking at is ways to improve the transportation of fans to games from other areas and setting up areas for people to tailgate, perhaps using covered shelters, and keep their gear until end of game for some sort of fee. This will reduce the impact on roads, encourage more fans during poor weather and let them concentrate services in a smaller parking area,

Good points. It's not just the stadium that could be updated---the Ralph campus could use some upgrades.

I guess playing their games in a 1970s era stadium with few amenities and an unsympathetic family environment is what everyone wants so that's what they get. It's cheap. Democracy.

I support of full remodel of the Ralph. That would break the 70's theme. Though I don't know a fix for the family issue.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess playing their games in a 1970s era stadium with few amenities and an unsympathetic family environment is what everyone wants so that's what they get. It's cheap. Democracy.

I'm still amazed at how much people want from a stadium. A place to park, a beer/sofa/hot chocolate and a sandwich, a bathroom, and a decent sized jumbotron. There's a big family section if you'd like.

Its a 3 hour sporting event, and then you leave. What's the big deal about extra amenities. God we're getting wimpier by the day.

The mud lot?

Yep. Mrs Barco passed on Jan 2 2016 leaving the property to 2 of her 8 kids. The property is 10 acres. The Barcos from my info have in the past been offered fair market value which they turned down. I can't tell you what they want $$ but if they get it Wow. There is rumors about a family parking lot ( no drinking) which would work with the Family Events in the Field House and Family Zone seating in the Ralph. There are other modifications to the stadium complex which are in consideration. If I were the Barcos I would be careful because eminent domain could be used. My Dad had that happen to him when they built the stadium. Edited by Hammered a Lot

I'm still amazed at how much people want from a stadium. A place to park, a beer/sofa/hot chocolate and a sandwich, a bathroom, and a decent sized jumbotron. There's a big family section if you'd like.

Its a 3 hour sporting event, and then you leave. What's the big deal about extra amenities. God we're getting wimpier by the day.

exactly.. i want a place to tailgate, then watch the game. all the "amenities" really are just fluff. we are buffalo, not L A or dallas.. lambeau works, so does the ralph.

Yep. Mrs Barco passed on Jan 2 2016 leaving the property to 2 of her 8 kids. The property is 10 acres. The Barcos from my info have in the past been offered fair market value which they turned down. I can't tell you what they want $$ but if they get it Wow. There is rumors about a family parking lot ( no drinking) which would work with the Family Events in the Field House and Family Zone seating in the Ralph. There are other modifications to the stadium complex which are in consideration. If I were the Barcos I would be careful because eminent domain could be used. My Dad had that happen to him when they built the stadium.

The Barcos should be OK IF they hire a lawyer with eminent domain experience. They should get a "highest best use" valuation for the property, not "market value." https://www.google.com/search?q=new+york+highest+and+best+use+eminent+domain

I don't know if the best use valuation existed when your Dad got ED'd.

I am not a lawyer.

Yep. Mrs Barco passed on Jan 2 2016 leaving the property to 2 of her 8 kids. The property is 10 acres. The Barcos from my info have in the past been offered fair market value which they turned down. I can't tell you what they want $$ but if they get it Wow. There is rumors about a family parking lot ( no drinking) which would work with the Family Events in the Field House and Family Zone seating in the Ralph. There are other modifications to the stadium complex which are in consideration. If I were the Barcos I would be careful because eminent domain could be used. My Dad had that happen to him when they built the stadium.

Great info, thank you. I have a buddy who runs a big tailgate in that lot, and has for like 12-13 years. I will pass this info along to him, as he may want to begin thinking about alternate locations.

Bingo! You are so correct.

And the Bills need to change with the times and accommodate the wimps.

Because:

If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less.

General Eric Shinseki

Or said another way: If you don't like change, you're going to like not having a team even less.

Me, all I ever wanted changed at the Ralph was ... nothing actually, 'cept the W-L record.

On a side note, there is continuing construction at the offices at OBD. Last fall there was steel erected for perhaps more offices space for the ever increasing coach hirings. There also have been surveyors seen walking "around" the stadium area. For what, only time will tell.

It's pretty obvious, actually. The steel work is to reinforce the structural foundation under Rob Ryan's office and the surveyors are planning for widening of the tunnel entrance to allow Rex and Rob to walk in side-by-side.

Great info, thank you. I have a buddy who runs a big tailgate in that lot, and has for like 12-13 years. I will pass this info along to him, as he may want to begin thinking about alternate locations.

You could give him a heads up about the rumors but until something happens no worries. If it does happen it could be all the property (more than likely) or partial. It would take no time at all to cross the street and negionate. They cut each other's throat.

exactly.. i want a place to tailgate, then watch the game. all the "amenities" really are just fluff. we are buffalo, not L A or dallas.. lambeau works, so does the ralph.

i think the amenities are more important to the nfl and Roger than they are to actual fans. Goodell wants the new type of stadium because it will bring in more money for the league. He wants people spending their money inside the stadium, not tailgating in the lots. I think the new stadiums are cool, but I like the Ralph as well. It is unique. And I don't need cabanas and pools and red zone on the tv during the game like they have in Jax. I'm there to watch my team.

'...pumped the breaks'? Jesus, can't anyone proofread anymore? I get that a lot of posters here are grammatically challenged, but come on, you're the Buffalo (#$%^ing) News! You're the only newspaper in town, you need to do a lot better.

LOL.

But pumping the "breaks" can be real.

Richie Incognito was a break that the Bills pumped.

Chip Kelly selling out LeSean was a break the Bills pumped (jury still out on that one, pun intended).

LOL.

But pumping the "breaks" can be real.

Richie Incognito was a break that the Bills pumped.

Chip Kelly selling out LeSean was a break the Bills pumped (jury still out on that one, pun intended).

LOL. I didn't even get into the fact that with today's anti-lock braking systems, pumping the "breaks" is actually bad.

Not as long as the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum exists. Arrowhead stadium is as old as the Ralph, so why isn't anyone in KC talking new stadium?

they did a retrofit in current location to meet the new NFL stadium standards and I believe that is still an option on the table for us, could be wrong as haven't followed this closely