Will We See Changes to Sunday Ticket??

I received an email today regarding settlement of a class action suit brought against MLB Extra Innings and MLBTV. The suit was still going on but it appears the "plantiffs" and MLBTV settled and offered to discount the package this year by around 15% and the next two years 12.5% per year, but more importantly are now offering a single team package. The single team package will cost roughly 2/3 the cost of the full package, so not sure it's really worth it, but does make me wonder if ST won't be far behind in offering a similar option. I've often read head in threads many folks wanting such an option, may be there sooner than you'd think, though would imagine ST would fight something like this harder and not be as quick to settle.

Apparently it's only offered through either DTV or Comcast so if you had it through TWC, sounds like you're out of luck

I received an email today regarding settlement of a class action suit brought against MLB Extra Innings and MLBTV. The suit was still going on but it appears the "plantiffs" and MLBTV settled and offered to discount the package this year by around 15% and the next two years 12.5% per year, but more importantly are now offering a single team package. The single team package will cost roughly 2/3 the cost of the full package, so not sure it's really worth it, but does make me wonder if ST won't be far behind in offering a similar option. I've often read head in threads many folks wanting such an option, may be there sooner than you'd think, though would imagine ST would fight something like this harder and not be as quick to settle.

Apparently it's only offered through either DTV or Comcast so if you had it through TWC, sounds like you're out of luck

Got the same email and MLB.TV was also included.

yeah, it was really a joke to be honest...

The real wall that needs to crumble is the blackout restrictions. If I want to watch the Sabres, I MUST subscribe to a cable/satellite service (and I think DISH doesnt get it?) Also, Im an Indians fan. we for some reason are in their "market". In order to watch the Indians, I need to subscribe to Directv, and add a $12/mo sports package so I can get Sports Time Ohio. Its a racket. In Philly, you can only watch the Phillies, Flyers, and 76ers if you subscribe to Comcast.

Once the blackout restrictions are done... then cords will be cut. I would absolutely pay for stand-alone MLB/NHL streaming services if I could get my home teams.

I think this is why they were so eager to 'settle'.

Edited by May Day 10

For baseball it says the full package will be $109, single team $89, so tend to agree, probably not worth saving $20

The NHL single team rate is hardly worth it. You only save a couple of bucks off the full package.

I think there may be a pending suit involving Sunday ticket.

Would be great to get single team option; that is really all I need.

The real wall that needs to crumble is the blackout restrictions. If I want to watch the Sabres, I MUST subscribe to a cable/satellite service (and I think DISH doesnt get it?) Also, Im an Indians fan. we for some reason are in their "market". In order to watch the Indians, I need to subscribe to Directv, and add a $12/mo sports package so I can get Sports Time Ohio. Its a racket. In Philly, you can only watch the Phillies, Flyers, and 76ers if you subscribe to Comcast.

Once the blackout restrictions are done... then cords will be cut. I would absolutely pay for stand-alone MLB/NHL streaming services if I could get my home teams.

Well the single team option is $85. 6 months of STO at $12 a month is $72. Seems like you still come out ahead.

Personally I'm a Tigers fan and I only care about watching the Tigers. They are out of market for me. I wasn't planning on returning to MLB.tv at $130, but for $85 to watch what I want might have lured me back.

Well the single team option is $85. 6 months of STO at $12 a month is $72. Seems like you still come out ahead.

Personally I'm a Tigers fan and I only care about watching the Tigers. They are out of market for me. I wasn't planning on returning to MLB.tv at $130, but for $85 to watch what I want might have lured me back

The single team option is not even a choice for me. They are blacked out in WNY because we are in their "market".... which is criminal.

I would like to just drop Directv. The only things tying me to it are Cleveland and the Sabres, really. I enjoy College football season too. Thats a HUGE expense to have the ability to watch my 'home' teams legally.

Edited by May Day 10

It's simpler than that. just threaten to leave DTV, and they give you a break almost every year. Been working for years. I don't have the other tickets as I'm just an NFL junkee.

its very easy call and be nice and ask for discounts. Last year they offered free ST to me but I opted for the ST Max for iPhone or iPad app and paid like 150$. This year will likely just go for the free ST don't need max

Even with the annual haggling, it costs a lot. They still pull some dirty tricks with the tiering. Just to get stupid Nbc sports to watch the sabres it's a big upgrade.... Nhl network, MLB network... I watch very little to no television so it's just a coordinated money syphon between the sports leagues and cable providers.

Comcast owns an nhl team, the biggest cable provider, and is the Nhl TV partner. They haveven a vested interest in the antiquated rules and not progressing.

All I need is netflix, an MLB app, nhl app, and Disney app. Would subscribe to NCAA football too.

Our main home is in Jax, FL, so I've been burdened with ST since '96. Our children & grandkids live there too, so its the main reason for Family Sunday's in the Fall. For as BS as the co$t will be for just the Bills games, I'm still interested -Sabres too. I don't follow any other Hockey team and with football, the RedZone channel is our 'Jump to' channel during commercials anyway.

IMO, the day the exclusive rights pkg the NFL has w/ DTV ends, that's the day DTV dies.

Everytime the contract ends, they renew it. I agree that if it ended DTV would go down the tubes, so for that reason, they seem to be willing to pay a boat load to the NFL so they keep the exclusive deal going. But do think with the direction things are headed the end is sooner than you'd think

IMO, the day the exclusive rights pkg the NFL has w/ DTV ends, that's the day DTV dies.

Everytime the contract ends, they renew it. I agree that if it ended DTV would go down the tubes, so for that reason, they seem to be willing to pay a boat load to the NFL so they keep the exclusive deal going. But do think with the direction things are headed the end is sooner than you'd think

at least 6 more seasons.....

I too would "cut the cable" if I could get my home teams via MLB.com and NHL Center Ice.