Flip Aaron Rogers and David Carr situations

HardyBoy

Carr is in the discussion of best college quarterbacks of all time, as is Rogers (less so). What happens to Carr if he gets to sit for four years and play with that online in Green Bay?

What if Rogers has to start right away, behind the oline at the time in Houston? Does he do worse than Carr?

Carr is in the discussion of best college quarterbacks of all time, as is Rogers (less so). What happens to Carr if he gets to sit for four years and play with that online in Green Bay?

What if Rogers has to start right away, behind the oline at the time in Houston? Does he do worse than Carr?

Huh?

Rodgers definitely benefited from sitting behind Favre.

However, he always had the ability to be great, obviously.

You have to think that if Carr had that ability, including intangibles like work ethic, that he would have eventually made it.

He took an absolute beating in houston. He had no o line at any point.

He was good in college but he's nowhere near any of the great college qbs.

It comes down to the fact that David Carr didn't know how to get his throws out early and often where Rodgers does. I don't care if you flip flop their situations. Carr was a hot steaming pile of garbage as a QB.

He was - but he might have had a better chance not to be if that Houston line had been able to protect him even a little bit. I am not saying he would have been Aaron Rodgers, he almost certainly wouldn't, but when you look at the last 6 or 7 games of this season that Rodgers played you see how much a mess of a line can spook a Quarterback... even a proven great one.

This argument is a stretch, but one thing that should be in no doubt is circumstance matters for developing a Quarterback in the NFL. I absolutely believe that the same individual could have a totally different trajectory in two different places.

He took an absolute beating in houston. He had no o line at any point.

He was good in college but he's nowhere near any of the great college qbs.

Yeah, he couldn't overcome Chris Palmer's coaching and team construction. Palmer imposed upon Carr a career death sentence by defensive mauling - exactly like he did to Couch in Cleveland.

Yeah, he couldn't overcome Chris Palmer's coaching and team construction. Palmer imposed upon Carr a career death sentence by defensive mauling - exactly like he did to Couch in Cleveland.

The same Chris Palmer that's part of the Bills' coaching staff http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/palmer-chris/abd87091-3782-4fad-a984-c61f374f91ea

The same Chris Palmer that's part of the Bills' coaching staff http://www.buffalobills.com/team/coaches/palmer-chris/abd87091-3782-4fad-a984-c61f374f91ea

Yes it is. Obviously he doesn't have the same power here as when he was head coach in Cleveland or offensive coordinator in Houston. Maybe he's in a role where he can do some good here. Honestly, I had forgotten he was on the staff.

Edited by BarleyNY

Yes it is. Obviously he doesn't have the same power here as when he was head coach in Cleveland or offensive coordinator in Houston. Maybe he's in a role where he can do some good here. Honestly, I had forgotten he was on the staff.

Repeated the trick again with Locker in Tennessee too. He runs a very old school drop back and throw deep offense that is ill suited to the modern NFL when pass rushers have the edge over offensive linemen and everyone else is moving to quick passing offenses that get the ball out fast. His lines in Cleveland, Houston and Tennessee were terrible.

EDIT: I think his role in Roman's staff is to consult on the passing game. I would actually wager our success with the deep ball this past season had something to do with Palmer. If they keep him away from protection schemes and overall construct of the offense then I am good with him being here.

Edited by GunnerBill

Repeated the trick again with Locker in Tennessee too. He runs a very old school drop back and throw deep offense that is ill suited to the modern NFL when pass rushers have the edge over offensive linemen and everyone else is moving to quick passing offenses that get the ball out fast. His lines in Cleveland, Houston and Tennessee were terrible.

That is all true. I'm not sure what his responsibilities in Buffalo are, but I'd prefer he'd not be big part of TT's development team. Maybe he's learned from the past and is a good coach now, but I do not have confidence in him due to that track record.

The OP is talking about David Carr of the Texans, not his younger brother, Derek Carr, of the Raiders.

Yeah I understand but to call David Carr one of the best QBs ever to play college football is a bit of an exaggeration. I mean obviously he was good enough to get drafted #1 overall but come on. He played out at Fresno St. They had a decent team but they were an afterthought in the grand scheme of big time college football.

Edited by Gordio