Friday Mock Draft Day!

RyanC883

Composite board, usual rules about not picking someone who I think would obviously be gone, and limiting myself to choosing between the top 3 players on the board each time it was my pick (with the exception of the last pick):

1: R1P19
ILB DARRON LEE
OHIO STATE
2: R2P18
OLB SU'A CRAVENS
USC
3: R3P17
DT AUSTIN JOHNSON
PENN STATE
4: R4P19
S JAYRON KEARSE
CLEMSON
5: R4P41
WR KENNY LAWLER
CALIFORNIA
6: R5P17
OT SPENCER DRANGO
BAYLOR
7: R6P17
CB ANTHONY BROWN
PURDUE
8: R6P43
QB VERNON ADAMS
OREGON

I'd be overjoyed with that draft.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will do a naked back flip into a pool of butterscotch pudding if we land Correa in round 4...I think he's a top-35 pick and that he'll end up going in round 1.

DJ Reader is my guy at NT...if we can land him round 4 or later I'm thrilled.

I will do the "Triple Lindy" from the back to school the movie. lol.

I know there is no way in Hades that Stanley lasts until pick #19 in the first round. But if this were to happen for us? Wow:

19: R1P19
OT RONNIE STANLEY
NOTRE DAME
49: R2P18
C RYAN KELLY
ALABAMA
80: R3P17
DE CARL NASSIB
PENN STATE
118: R4P19
OLB SCOOBY WRIGHT
ARIZONA
140: R4P41
DT ADOLPHUS WASHINGTON
OHIO STATE
157: R5P17
DT D.J. READER
CLEMSON
193: R6P17
S KAVON FRAZIER
CENTRAL MICHIGAN
219: R6P43
DT ANTHONY ZETTEL
PENN STATE
Here is a 2nd one I did using a different draft board:
OLB DARRON LEE
OHIO STATE
DT ROBERT NKEMDICHE
OLE MISS
C RYAN KELLY
ALABAMA
WR PHAROH COOPER
SOUTH CAROLINA
DT D.J. READER
CLEMSON
S JAYRON KEARSE
CLEMSON
ILB CASSANOVA MCKINZY
AUBURN
QB JACOBY BRISSETT
NC STATE
Edited by H2o

Used the composite board, weird draft. i wouldn't be upset with it. positions i wanted were too much of a reach to go after...

ended up like this.

OT TAYLOR DECKER
OHIO STATE
WR TYLER BOYD
PITT
DT ROBERT NKEMDICHE
OLE MISS
S TYVIS POWELL
OHIO STATE
CB D.J. WHITE
GEORGIA TECH
OLB DADI NICOLAS
VIRGINIA TECH
ILB ANTONIO MORRISON
FLORIDA
QB JAKE COKER
ALABAMA

I did it again. i took leonard floyd. a higher risk player but he could be good in a 34 set. put him on the strong side if we can get good DE play. Oakman could be a project but he does well against the run setting the outside edge, something important for this scheme that mario didn't do.

This draft here would make me very happy.

OLB LEONARD FLOYD
GEORGIA
outside edge rusher will be good against the patriots, do well against most teams. could work his way to 34 MLB @ Jack.
WR MICHAEL THOMAS
OHIO STATE
This guy could be a steal in the draft. He is just a few notches better than Woods in my opinion and is insurance should we lose him. If we could get him and still keep Harvin at 4 or 5 I would be happy.
DT WILLIE HENRY
MICHIGAN
Big DT and someone to work in the future with behind Kyle Williams. He would be PERFECT on this team. He can get to the QB but has some work to do, very young. 21 years old.
RB ALEX COLLINS
ARKANSAS
He is not as good as Karlos but I still think he could be good for us as a 3rd back. He is not afraid of powering up the middle - about the best thing he can do as he does not get outside well.
CB D.J. WHITE
GEORGIA TECH
I could see him playing safety one day. But, in the meantime he would battle Roby for the inside position.
DE SHAWN OAKMAN
BAYLOR
Is deal for the run stopping outside edge setter. Not the best at pass rushing - Oakman with Floyd flanking him could be a good combinmation.
ILB TYLER MATAKEVICH
TEMPLE
This is a hard hitting type of guy that leads. If Preston Brown is to remain inside at 34 ILB he may be best playing Jack and letting Matakevich be the Mike and fill in where Brandon Spikes left off. He is the smart player and has the awareness that would suit him with Rex Ryans mess of a defense. Could be a late round steal and flourish under Ryan Bros.
S KAVON FRAZIER
CENTRAL MICHIGAN
a box type safety that would be good for depth and do well on special teams. He likes to stop the run. He was a special teams as for the Chippewas. Soemthing we need to keep in mind.

I could not find any value at OT. But I am perfect satisfied if this was our draft. Key needs with players among BPA at time of draft. no reaches.

I did it again. i took leonard floyd. a higher risk player but he could be good in a 34 set. put him on the strong side if we can get good DE play. Oakman could be a project but he does well against the run setting the outside edge, something important for this scheme that mario didn't do.

This draft here would make me very happy.

I could not find any value at OT. But I am perfect satisfied if this was our draft. Key needs with players among BPA at time of draft. no reaches.

I find it very difficult to settle on an OT after the first 4

Composite board, usual rules about not picking someone who I think would obviously be gone, and limiting myself to choosing between the top 3 players on the board each time it was my pick (with the exception of the last pick):

ILB DARRON LEE
OHIO STATE
OLB SU'A CRAVENS
USC
DT AUSTIN JOHNSON
PENN STATE
S JAYRON KEARSE
CLEMSON
WR KENNY LAWLER
CALIFORNIA
OT SPENCER DRANGO
BAYLOR
CB ANTHONY BROWN
PURDUE
QB VERNON ADAMS
OREGON

Holy crap that is a REALLY nice draft

ILB DARRON LEE
OHIO STATE
OLB SU'A CRAVENS
USC
DT AUSTIN JOHNSON
PENN STATE
S JAYRON KEARSE
CLEMSON
WR KENNY LAWLER
CALIFORNIA
OT SPENCER DRANGO
BAYLOR
CB ANTHONY BROWN
PURDUE
QB VERNON ADAMS
OREGON

I trust your takes but do you really think Jayron Kearse is worth anything more than a late round flyer?

IMO, he looks like the worst player on the Clemson D most of the time.

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jayron.

I went Offense early in this one which felt weird, but I'm okay with the results:

OT JACK CONKLIN
MICHIGAN STATE
WR JOSH DOCTSON
TCU
OLB KYLER FACKRELL
UTAH STATE
QB CARDALE JONES
OHIO STATE
DE BRONSON KAUFUSI
BYU
DT D.J. READER
CLEMSON
OLB TERRANCE SMITH
FSU
S DEON BUSH
MIAMI (FLA.)

I've been working on a 2016 roster for a while now and thought I'd look at how the draft would go if I went purely with need picks based off the holes left on my roster. I used the Composite board on Fanspeak so that I wasn't just picking guys from my rankings and making things work out wonderfully for me.

Starting ILB: Reggie Ragland - LB - Alabama

#2 WR: Kenny Lawler - WR - California

Developmental QB: Dakota Prescott - QB - Mississippi State

Backup boundary Corner: Eric Murray - CB - Minnesota

Nose Tackle: DJ Reader - NT - Clemson

Swing IOL: Joe Thuney - OL - NC State

Depth LB: Blake Martinez - LB - Stanford

Kicker: Ka'imi Fairbairn - K - UCLA

First of all, the thing that stands out is only 1 DL and he's a 30-40% of snaps guy in the 4th. This isn't how I would draft (although, with the exception of Murray, I like/love every pick) but I thought it was an interesting exercise to see what I'd get drafting BPA at a specific position in a specific round.

I know its not Fanspeak but I'm doing a mock draft on another board where we have fans of all 32 teams making selections. I'd appreciate any feedback on how you feel about it.

We're currently in the middle of the 4th round. Here's how I've drafted so far, with some rationale behind each pick:

#19: Noah Spence - my targets here that were off the board were Rankins, Billings, Treadwell, Conklin, and Decker. I went the best edge rusher left. This got me Spence, which has obvious boom or bust potential. But I see Rex and Whaley going all in this year to secure their future here in Buffalo.

#49: Tyler Boyd - again I missed out on targeted players right before my pick including Jeremy Cash, Vernon Butler, and Michael Thomas. Boyd is a versatile athlete who Greg Roman likely loves in that end around/WR pass role in his offense.

#80 Shon Coleman - picked an OT here since Kouandijo is trash, Mills is just a guy, and Seantrel's medical condition puts him on shaky ground. Coleman could be a plug and play at RT.

#117 Christian Hackenberg - I went off my strategy a little bit and rolled the dice here. I saw him still on the board and thought the 4th round was a perfect place to gamble on a QB with the tools who needs some real intense coaching. Best case scenario here, you have another Kirk Cousins scenario. Worst case, you have a new, cheap backup QB in place of EJ for 2017.

I trust your takes but do you really think Jayron Kearse is worth anything more than a late round flyer?

IMO, he looks like the worst player on the Clemson D most of the time.

Looks like Tarzan plays like Jayron.

It's a good question. As I said, other than the flier on Adams I was taking the approach that the Composite Big Board was "my board" and so limiting myself to nobody outside the top 3 players according to the board each time I picked. I think the other choices there in round 4 were the running back out of Utah and an inside linebacker I have never heard of from a small school.... so safety and Kearse was the pick given I still think, with the uncertainty over Aaron Williams and the fact that Corey might be let go next year, we could stand to add one.

Is the 4th a bit rich for him? Maybe. I don't pretend to have the same level of knowledge about all the prospects who might go day 3... so it is hard for me to rank him up against other guys. I saw him play well last year, I also saw him look awful so it is a guy you would be picking and then letting Ed Reed get to work.

EDIT: The other safety on that board that seems to be there around the same spot is Davis from Maryland. I have never seen him play but when I took Kearse he was was there as maybe the 6th or 7th best player on the board. I do see safety as a day 3 need now with Blanton's signing.

Edited by GunnerBill

It's a good question. As I said, other than the flier on Adams I was taking the approach that the Composite Big Board was "my board" and so limiting myself to nobody outside the top 3 players according to the board each time I picked. I think the other choices there in round 4 were the running back out of Utah and an inside linebacker I have never heard of from a small school.... so safety and Kearse was the pick given I still think, with the uncertainty over Aaron Williams and the fact that Corey might be let go next year, we could stand to add one.

Is the 4th a bit rich for him? Maybe. I don't pretend to have the same level of knowledge about all the prospects who might go day 3... so it is hard for me to rank him up against other guys. I saw him play well last year, I also saw him look awful so it is a guy you would be picking and then letting Ed Reed get to work.

EDIT: The other safety on that board that seems to be there around the same spot is Davis from Maryland. I have never seen him play but when I took Kearse he was was there as maybe the 6th or 7th best player on the board. I do see safety as a day 3 need now with Blanton's signing.

From what I've seen Davis looks like a much better prospect.

Where a lot of these players get picked is relative to the depth of the position in that draft but I'd say Davis is on par with Aaron Williams as a tweener CB/S prospect......maybe even better because of his size.......but of course Buddy Nix was reaching desperately for need at CB in a draft that was weak at the position.

Which......of course.......is why you should always pick BPA at high impact/dollar positions early in the draft.

Williams was able to transition to safety and had one very good season there and an OK second season in 2014 before the physicality of the position took it's toll.

Some other recent reaches in early rounds they've barely gotten anything from.

From what I've seen Davis looks like a much better prospect.

Where a lot of these players get picked is relative to the depth of the position in that draft but I'd say Davis is on par with Aaron Williams as a tweener CB/S prospect......maybe even better because of his size.......but of course Buddy Nix was reaching desperately for need at CB in a draft that was weak at the position.

Fine. I was going with the board... but if Davis is the superior player I'd have no problem us taking him with one of our 4th rounders.

Messed around and thought about it if Gilmore is potentially gone - of the top 3 CB's there are 2 usually left.

CB VERNON HARGREAVES III
FLORIDA
WR MICHAEL THOMAS
OHIO STATE
DT MALIEK COLLINS
NEBRASKA
DT ADOLPHUS WASHINGTON
OHIO STATE
QB BRANDON ALLEN
ARKANSAS
S K.J. DILLON
WEST VIRGINIA
ILB BENIQUEZ BROWN
MISS. STATE
G TED KARRAS
ILLINOIS

I drafted best on board for first 4 rounds, stritctly best on board.

I'd be surprised if Hargreaves is there at #19. Plenty of teams ahead of us with needs at corner.

i have done about 2 or 3 fantasy drafts a day. its what i do every year because it helps find talent and i google every player to learn about them - look at youtube, etc.

in almost every fantasy mock 2 of apple, hargreaves or jackson is there. in many Wentz is there. like this one... I went offense heavy since there was top talent available at the position:

QB CARSON WENTZ
NORTH DAKOTA STATE
WR COREY COLEMAN
BAYLOR
TE NICK VANNETT
OHIO STATE
CB KEVON SEYMOUR
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
DT HASSAN RIDGEWAY
TEXAS
ILB BENIQUEZ BROWN
MISSISSIPPI STATE
OLB CURT MAGGITT
TENNESSEE
DE JASON FANAIKA
UTAH

OT RONNIE STANLEY
NOTRE DAME
OLB SU'A CRAVENS
USC
DT ROBERT NKEMDICHE
OLE MISS
G PARKER EHINGER
CINCINNATI
TE TYLER HIGBEE
WESTERN KENTUCKY
S KEVIN BYARD
MIDDLE TENN STATE
OLB ALEX MCCALISTER
FLORIDA
DE JASON FANAIKA
UTAH

Edited by Boyst62

i have done about 2 or 3 fantasy drafts a day. its what i do every year because it helps find talent and i google every player to learn about them - look at youtube, etc.

in almost every fantasy mock 2 of apple, hargreaves or jackson is there. in many Wentz is there. like this one... I went offense heavy since there was top talent available at the position:

Fair enough, but I just do not think Hargreaves gets to #19. I'd be shocked actually. I see him as the number one corner in the class and as far as I can see Baltimore at #6, Philly at #8, Tampa at #9, the Giants at #10, the Bears at #11, the Saints at #12, the Dolphins at #13 are all in play for Hargreaves. If he makes it past 13 then maybe, but I'd be surprised if none of those teams took him.

As for Jackson - I have a high second round grade on him. He is being pushed up a lot of boards because of his measurables and combine performance but he is only the 5th best corner that I have looked at. I think he will still be there at #19, but I wouldn't pick him there.

There is also no way Wentz makes it to #19 for my money. Even if Cleveland passes (and I don't believe they will), him getting to #19 is a stretch.

Fair enough, but I just do not think Hargreaves gets to #19. I'd be shocked actually. I see him as the number one corner in the class and as far as I can see Baltimore at #6, Philly at #8, Tampa at #9, the Giants at #10, the Bears at #11, the Saints at #12, the Dolphins at #13 are all in play for Hargreaves. If he makes it past 13 then maybe, but I'd be surprised if none of those teams took him.

As for Jackson - I have a high second round grade on him. He is being pushed up a lot of boards because of his measurables and combine performance but he is only the 5th best corner that I have looked at. I think he will still be there at #19, but I wouldn't pick him there.

There is also no way Wentz makes it to #19 for my money. Even if Cleveland passes (and I don't believe they will), him getting to #19 is a stretch.

Jackson is my #1 corner.

I admittedly haven't done the kind of work that Bandit and others have done on this draft class........we thank them for that........but I think Jackson will be a better pro than all of the more highly rated corners. But then I really value guys who make big interceptions and can take it to the house.

Some years certain positions get ranked pretty early as if set in stone......and then I think sometimes the draft experts become afraid of bumping players with lesser accolades up the board..........or in the case of a guy like Nkemdiche.......bumping high pedigree disappointments way down the board where they deserve to be.