AW vs. Rambo

H2o

What are your thoughts about McKelvin, who went public saying he was open to taking a pay cut and open to playing Safety?

i would keep him with a pay cut and I suspect Rex would like to as well. He's not a starter Rex can put on an island like Gilmore or Darby, but he's good versatile depth at safety and corner. And in subpackages we need as many DBs who can play as we can get. DB depth is so thin across the league. He knows the D and wants to be here, and can still play. Just keep him off of punt returns!!! Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't have a traditional separation of duties with a SS in the box type with primarily run support responsibilities nor do they have a dedicated FS with a primary responsibility of pass coverage. They expect their safeties to do both things well and interchange responsibilities contingent upon what defense is called in a particular down and distance situation.

Oh, Lordy.

I can see where having a safety who can do both things well and interchange responsibilities is a big advantage to the DC in drawing up plays on defense. I can see where interchanging responsibilities can add a layer of uncertainty to the offense, but it also adds a potential level of confusion on the D if the two players don't have it straight before the play who does what.

I think overall, these two positions have specialized in the league because it's easier to find players who excel at one or the other, but not both.

Is this one more example of Rex demanding top levels of specific skill sets at key positions, and not being able to adjust to effectively use what he has?

This was a joke right? Rambo had one nice game, and was an absolute disaster down the stretch for the Bills. He was completely incapable of making tackles, to the extent I consider him one of the worst tacklers I have ever seen in the NFL.

AW may not be pro bowl caliber, but he was pretty solid at the safety position, and certainly was a strong tackler. His weakness in my eyes was not knowing what to do in redzone situations, something he could hopefully be coached on.

As far as McKelvin goes, I'd prefer to see him used as the 3rd corner...but maybe they are thinking his contract is too much for that role.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

i would keep him with a pay cut and I suspect Rex would like to as well. He's not a starter Rex can put on an island like Gilmore or Darby, but he's good versatile depth at safety and corner. And in subpackages we need as many DBs who can play as we can get. DB depth is so thin across the league. He knows the D and wants to be here, and can still play. Just keep him off of punt returns!!!

Almost getting to the point where we might end up taking a cb pretty high, especially if they are far apart with Gilmore's next contract.

Graham is a fine player. I don't understand the hate for a 9 year vet with a Pro Bowl and a Ring. He seems to genuinely enjoy being here and the staff has always tooted his horn. I'm sure he'll be back next season. Can we do better? Sure -at nearly every position. He's a gamer.

Graham is a fine player. I don't understand the hate for a 9 year vet with a Pro Bowl and a Ring. He seems to genuinely enjoy being here and the staff has always tooted his horn. I'm sure he'll be back next season. Can we do better? Sure -at nearly every position. He's a gamer.

Agree 100%. Somehow Graham became the new scapegoat on this team. He was the only consistent safety and tackler in general on this team all year. He was beaten on a handful of big plays, but was otherwise very good.

Agree 100%. Somehow Graham became the new scapegoat on this team. He was the only consistent safety and tackler in general on this team all year. He was beaten on a handful of big plays, but was otherwise very good.

That's usually the difference between winning and losing, and it sure was in the Bills case.

Rambo was a playmaker for us down the stretch last season. Interceptions, forced fumbles, and he is one of those guys who just loves to hit people.

Now that Whaley has come out and said that AW is 100%

Problem with Rambo is didn't he take out at least a couple of our own players? Gotta have some level of self-control

I don't believe AW will ever be 100% effective. By that I mean he will sub-consciously pull back from contact so as not to risk his long term health. Heck I would

That's usually the difference between winning and losing, and it sure was in the Bills case.

Point out the games that Graham lost on his own. No one has a 100% success rate in stopping the opponents offense.

Lets blame Dareus too, because he didn't have more game wining QB pressures. Or any one else we want to scapegoat for a bad 2015 Bills season.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Point out the games that Graham lost on his own.

Lets blame Dareus too, because he didn't have more game wining QB pressures.

Jags game, lost his man for GW score, IIRC.

Pats part two, the awful James White tackle on the wheel, for the go-ahead TD IIRC.

I'm not saying he lost the games on his own, or that's he's complete trash. But he had a handful of bad plays that you could look back at and say "Hey, if Graham didn't screw up here, we probably win." It's not the fact that he didn't make a great play, he didn't make any sort of play. He gapped.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwrOGk_OXMk

Edited by FireChan

Point out the games that Graham lost on his own. No one has a 100% success rate in stopping the opponents offense.

Lets blame Dareus too, because he didn't have more game wining QB pressures. Or any one else we want to scapegoat for a bad 2015 Bills season.

Well, his missed tackle in the game in NE was killer.

Well, his missed tackle in the game in NE was killer.

Pats part two, the awful James White tackle on the wheel, for the go-ahead TD IIRC.

I'm not saying he lost the games on his own, or that's he's complete trash. But he had a handful of bad plays that you could look back at and say "Hey, if Graham didn't screw up here, we probably win." It's not the fact that he didn't make a great play, he didn't make any sort of play. He gapped.

Right, I'm the one that said he had a handful of bad plays. The point is people ignore all of the good plays made, and focused on the tiny minority of plays that weren't. This is a perfect example. He played well overall throughout the course of the season. Even Revis and Sherman allow big plays, it hardly means they need to be replaced. Inst

You also just contradicted yourself, in your previous post you indicated his plays lost the games, in this post you said it's not all on him.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It's always tough to say that one person loses you a game, or one play loses you a game, or that a game comes down to one play because every play affects the game. But you do look for your veterans to make a big time play when you need it, and when it's a one on one match-up, it's easy to get pissed about our guys losing that, especially vets like Graham, or Mario getting abused by a TE.

Positive one on one play from the year though: Darby's tackle on Marshall on 4th and two.

Right, I'm the one that said he had a handful of bad plays. The point is people ignore all of the good plays made, and focused on the tiny minority of plays that weren't. This is a perfect example. He played well overall throughout the course of the season. Even Revis and Sherman allow big plays, it hardly means they need to be replaced. Inst

You also just contradicted yourself, in your previous post you indicated his plays lost the games, in this post you said it's not all on him.

Because I meant this.

It's always tough to say that one person loses you a game, or one play loses you a game, or that a game comes down to one play because every play affects the game. But you do look for your veterans to make a big time play when you need it, and when it's a one on one match-up, it's easy to get pissed about our guys losing that, especially vets like Graham, or Mario getting abused by a TE.

Positive one on one play from the year though: Darby's tackle on Marshall on 4th and two.

clutch. 28 is a machine when it comes to tackling. Edited by YoloinOhio

I agree with this. And, IMO, he's the most versatile player in our D backfield. He proved that when he transitioned to S from CB the year prior, and lead our team in tackles. How do you bag on the guy who was our best tackler?