Buffalo Bills 2016 Theme: Continuity With Urgency

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Continuity is the theme for #Bills GM Doug Whaley... but there is urgency. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/26/continuity-the-theme-for-bills-gm-doug-whaley-but-there-is-urgency/

The word reverberates from Buffalo to the Gulf Coast: “continuity.” This is the theme of the Buffalo Bills’ offseason.

“I look at it this way,” Whaley said, “we haven’t had continuity: the Buffalo Bills. And was has it gotten us? So let’s try something new. What’s the definition of insanity?”

This was Whaley on Tuesday. Confident. Assertive. Steadfast that these Bills are trending in the right direction… and yet he is fully aware that urgency is, indeed, high.

A contract extension doesn’t necessarily guarantee immunity beyond 2016. He gets that.

“Let’s put it this way: anything can happen. You never say never in this business. But what it does is it confirms that everybody in the building is on the same page and feeling like, ‘Hey, we’re in the right direction.’"

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dialogue to begin with Bills free agents

Bills GM Doug Whaley and Buffalo’s player personnel and college scouting staffs will be at the Senior Bowl in Mobile all week, but the organization will be getting started on preliminary talks with their upcoming free agents.

“Last week we had the year in review with the coaches and going over the roster,” said Whaley. “(Senior VP of Football Administration) Jim Overdorf is going to reach out and starting touching base with all the free agents. Not just the restricted free agents, but the unrestricted guys as well and touch base with their representatives and get the ball rolling.”

Speaking of continuity......

"Continuity With Urgency"

It translates to: We don't have the cap space for any splashy free agent signings like last year, so we're pretty much going to go with the same players as last year if we can re-sign our free agents. We hope that the experience from being in the same system as last year and some player growth will translate to more wins.

What's not mentioned are the players that won't be back and how exactly additions through the draft and lower tier free agent signings will improve the overall level of talent from last season. I will be tremendously impressed by Whaley if the 2016 Bills have more talent than the 2015 Bills. Maybe, just maybe, the talent they do have will be better utilized by the coaches in 2016 than in 2015, but I can't see them having more talent to work with.

Also I'd like to know why there was a lack of urgency last season.

Edited by BarleyNY

It's a shame we'll soon lose Ty Dunne to bigger and better things...such an excellent beat reporter. Puts the other guys at TBN to shame.

Maybe he's under contract with TBN for a number of years.

If No. 2 WR can’t be added, Bills to go with mix

For the Bills adding a true number two wideout opposite Sammy Watkins that has size and commands attention from opposing defenses would be ideal, but in a draft year where talent at receiver is good, but size isn’t the Bills may have to choose a different approach in addressing that role.

Bills GM Doug Whaley, who will appear on the John Murphy Show tonight from Mobile, commented on how they would fill the No. 2 WR role if a single player can’t be acquired to step into it.

So he's essentially working as a freelance journalist? Doesn't sound right to me, but maybe you know better.

Fairly certain he works there just like you and I work our jobs. He can leave at anytime if a better opportunity presents itself. It comes down to what he defines as better. He could have made more money covering GB, but wanted to return home to be close to family. Just because ESPN calls, doesn't mean he'd take it and automatically make more- see TG returning to the Buff News. He may, however, be interested in taking same or less to be affiliated with a bigger, more recognizable national brand. Comes down to his priorities and life situation.

To my knowledge, the only ones under contract are on-air talent at major networks etc.

Fairly certain he works there just like you and I work our jobs. He can leave at anytime if a better opportunity presents itself. It comes down to what he defines as better. He could have made more money covering GB, but wanted to return home to be close to family. Just because ESPN calls, doesn't mean he'd take it and automatically make more- see TG returning to the Buff News. He may, however, be interested in taking same or less to be affiliated with a bigger, more recognizable national brand. Comes down to his priorities and life situation.

To my knowledge, the only ones under contract are on-air talent at major networks etc.

Thanks for your knowledge and explanation.