Buffalo Bills 2016 Theme: Continuity With Urgency

Yeah, the "all in" language is silly. The Bills are finally spending to the cap -- which is what every team should do every season. It's not like 2015 was a "make or break" year for a veteran team about to be torn apart -- they spent a lot of money to upgrade the offense and now they have to make decisions (like every team) about re-signing FAs and how they will compose the roster for 2016.

The hand-wringing about the Bills' cap situation is nonsensical.

Thank you. People act like all the money is gone but McCoy, Clay, Hughes, Taylor, etc. not going to be on the team next year.

Going over the salary cap for FAs

How exactly does a team go over the cap? Isn't that what a 'cap' is....a maximum amount you can spend?

I guess you would have preferred if they hadn't signed any expensive FAs and stayed way under the cap. Then we wouldn't have had to worry about being "all in". I really miss the 'cash to cap' days too.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

continuity = keep Taylor at QB, let him keep growing, keep coaching staff the same, low roster turnover

urgency = need to show a high level of improvement/focus

I like his message.

It's not like they were terrible last season. Flip a couple games they should've won and they'd be in playoffs, considering Taylor missed a bunch of games they're not far away.

Can Taylor stay healthy? Can Rex fix the defense? Those answers will dictate where this team ends up in 2016.

Continuity? Like late 2008 when keeping Dick Jauron was the answer to Buffalo's problems?

You get continuity when enough decisions turn into good ones. You don't get continuity when the people running the team make a lot of bad decisions.

Doug Whaley hasn't made enough good decisions during his tenure and Rex shares in the blame for 2015.

This talk of continuity is just another recycled theme from the Russ GM/DJ as HC days to buy time.

It seems a number of people just see the negative with Whaley. He's made a lot of good decisions that have improved the team. There have been some good trades, drafts, free agents, and yes he made some mistakes. Polian has said many times on his radio show all GM's make some mistakes. There is no crystal ball.

I don't fault him for the Rex hire. i think that came more from the Pegulas and Brandon. all of us just speculate on this board so I can't prove it, but makes sense as Rex brought Buffalo to the National stage, increased seat sales, etc. It was a mistake just like Marrone, but it happened.

For now, I'm still in the Whaley corner. If he has another good draft in 2016 which we won't know until half way through next season at the very earliest.