Rex's D

The Big Cat

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't either.

Big Cat seems to be the leader of the pack. Rex sucked last year. Plain and simple. Not sure why a few fans try to sugarcoat it. He has next year to get it fixed and if not he is a goner. I think this is obvious no?

I hope thats the case. agree Roman, Kromer, Tyrod and Cognito are the only good things Rex has done in Buffalo. I hope 2016 is a make or break for him, he at least got the opportunity, a good Defense to play with and an Offensive Coordinator known for making the best outta of below average offenses.

I also agree with this.....Rex has this next year to show that last year was not norm.

Bringing in his brother didnt really bring me hopes up any higher either, Ed Reed....idk well see, that might be a good call since he knows the defense but we lost a really good DB coach in the process.

I've never seen him say that he wouldn't even be able to get a DC job if he crapped out again.

He knows that his HC status is on the line but what NFL HC doesn't?

he said this is the end of the line.

I wont make an effort to pull up the quote, but he more than once said and alluded to his trial of St Peter. Either he succeeds or he has failed and is done. Gose to Coaching hell as a losing HC.

Wish more folks would pay attention to his attitude coming into Buffalo.

He Knows what this season means.

get off his ass and support the team.( not calling you out BADOL l He will win or be gone next year.

I root for the underdog,

Go Bills!

Although GG, it's not like he follows through on just about anything he says. He'll be an analyst living easily like Billick, the Chin, Ditka, and so on. He'll most likely be very entertaining, but no one is going to hire him as a HC.

Someone will probably offer though a DC job, and he'll need to see if he can make Gruden kind of money from ESPN. That guy is living the life. People don't realize the Glazers paid him for three years after getting fired and had the lucrative ESPN contract.

He's worth a mint now, and still lives near me.

why say that?

Oh because I took that as he expected to be stay on as DC if the HC job in Buffalo didn't work out. :rolleyes:

You know that line Marv Levy used to have about thinking about retirement?

I generally believe that if you aren't thinking about it, you aren't talking about it.

Like here on TSW.......the people that are always telling people that they don't care what they think........they actually care a lot about what they think or that concept wouldn't be part of the conversation.

Rex......in trying, inexplicably, to prove his commitment to the Bills HC job with that statement thru the media may have been letting on just how little effort he was ACTUALLY going to be putting into the job.

He brought a rudderless, confused, thoroughly unprepared defensive team into the season after a very public horse-around of an offseason.

Maybe what he was saying is that he's ok with going to the TV booth if being a successful HC is going to be hard work?

Since we are interpreting his words, I thought I'd chip in my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

No that was not what he intended. Why would you think that? he said he would be done if he did not succeed in bringing back the respect and winning that Bufffalo fans once knew>

sometime i dont think you follow the story. and of course you are not the only one potentially guilty.

You do know football for sure ! But you miss the bits and pieces that create the interesting chapters that complete the story. which is yet to be finished.

I also agree with this.....Rex has this next year to show that last year was not norm.

and this is his last chance. he better nail it to the wall !!

Oh because I took that as he expected to be stay on as DC if the HC job in Buffalo didn't work out. :rolleyes:

You know that line Marv Levy used to have about thinking about retirement?

I generally believe that if you aren't thinking about it, you aren't talking about it.

Like here on TSW.......the people that are always telling people that they don't care what they think........they actually care a lot about what they think or that concept wouldn't be part of the conversation.

Rex......in trying, inexplicably, to prove his commitment to the Bills HC job with that statement thru the media may have been letting on just how little effort he was ACTUALLY going to be putting into the job.

He brought a rudderless, confused, thoroughly unprepared defensive team into the season after a very public horse-around of an offseason.

Maybe what he was saying is that he's ok with going to the TV booth if being a successful HC is going to be hard work?

Since we are interpreting his words, I thought I'd chip in my 2 cents. :thumbsup:

Can't say I agree with everything.

It's true that the team was not as prepared as it should have been, but I don't think that it's because Rex already checked out of the job this summer. I think it's more likely that he and his team bought into the hype and didn't put the work in.

But knowing his competitive nature, I doubt he sits on his ass this offseason. If he believed all the superlative stories about how great his team was going to be in 2015, you can bet he's pissed off about the negative stories about how he's going to suck in 2016. He's always done better when doubted.

he said this is the end of the line.

I wont make an effort to pull up the quote, but he more than once said and alluded to his trial of St Peter. Either he succeeds or he has failed and is done. Gose to Coaching hell as a losing HC.

Wish more folks would pay attention to his attitude coming into Buffalo.

He Knows what this season means.

get off his ass and support the team.( not calling you out BADOL l He will win or be gone next year.

I root for the underdog,

Go Bills!

why say that?

No that was not what he intended. Why would you think that? he said he would be done if he did not succeed in bringing back the respect and winning that Bufffalo fans once knew>

sometime i dont think you follow the story. and of course you are not the only one potentially guilty.

You do know football for sure ! But you miss the bits and pieces that create the interesting chapters that complete the story. which is yet to be finished.

I think the point that you miss is that Rex knows how to tell the media and fans what they want to hear.

It's not a trait exclusive to him.

Do you remember Kevin Kolb talking about taking the Bills to the SB in his introductory PC? :lol:

Yes, Rex said he thought Buffalo would be his last shot as an NFL HC..........because he wanted to add gravity to his words and endear himself to the fanbase.

But make no mistake.......he was talking about being a HC.......not his ability to coach the defensive side of the ball.

But somehow his ability as a defensive strategist took an enormous hit this season.

NOBODY expected him to take a top 5 D and destroy it........somehow completely neutering a dominant pass rush in the process.

This wasn't Sanchez and Geno getting him fired like in NY.......this was Air Coryell not being not being able to execute a forward pass.......it was beneath anything you thought possible from Rex Ryan.

Can't say I agree with everything.

It's true that the team was not as prepared as it should have been, but I don't think that it's because Rex already checked out of the job this summer. I think it's more likely that he and his team bought into the hype and didn't put the work in.

But knowing his competitive nature, I doubt he sits on his ass this offseason. If he believed all the superlative stories about how great his team was going to be in 2015, you can bet he's pissed off about the negative stories about how he's going to suck in 2016. He's always done better when doubted.

Actions speak louder than words......do they not?

That mess we watched last year didn't look like the work of someone who both understood it was his last chance and was determined not to fail.

Hence my point.......that most of what Rex says is just hot air.......often designed to create some space between him and the truth.

Like......."we ran the 2014 defense that day"......when the tape shows a hodge podge of poorly mixed fronts and coverages with confused defenders uncertain of where to line up.

I hope he brings his competitive nature next season because this year was weak.

I respectfully but strenuously disagree with your take that Mario did everything he was asked to. I understand Mario's frustration with how he was being used and how the defense was schemed. Clearly, he didn't buy in, and so didn't others. But it was evident to me in a number of games that there was a demonstrable lack of effort. It was as if he was determined to show the loquacious HC that what he was proposing was not going to work.

Over the past few years Mario has been a dynamic pass rusher. One of the best rushers in the game (although not the best he consistently performed at an elite level) until the braggart HC arrived on the scene. On this issue I trust my eyes because I know what he was before Rex and how he performed with Rex. Even some of his teammates anonymously acknowledged that the Diva DE didn't always give maximum effort.

Mario should be held accountable for how he conducted himself. There should be no excuses for his sometimes listless play.

It's OK to have an opinion that doesn't agree with mine. But allow me to explain the situation as I see it a little further.

The defensive ends in a 3-4 alignment have jobs similar to that of the nose tackle: they want to take up space, fill gaps, and occupy blockers. In the 3-4, linemen aren't expected to make many sacks or tackles. Most of the playmaking responsibilities fall upon the linebackers.

In a 4-3 system, linemen are supposed to occupy blockers, but they are also expected to free themselves to make tackles and sacks.

In 2015 Rex Ryan ran a mumble - jumble hybrid defense of sorts that clearly didn't work very well most of the time because he simply refused to blitz very often. He ran variations of a 3-4 / 4-3 during games in which he asked his defensive line players to do many different things in his scheme that Jim Schwartz didn't ask in his scheme.

Schwartz asked his D-linemen to mostly rush the passer simply because that is what they were being paid so much money to do...like 28% of the payroll is tied up in that front four...to rush the passer!! Jim Schwartz still had his D-line players dropping into pass coverage like a zone blitz, it's just he didn't ask them to do that as much as Ryan did this year. Plus, I can't recall Schwartz ever dropping Dareus or Kyle Williams into pass coverage much at all, if ever!

Schwartz made his defense work without asking his defense to blitz very often and that is a tribute to how good those front four players really are!! They all are worth every penny the Bills were paying them and yes even this past year. I say this because it's not their fault if they are being asked to do stupid things like occupy the O-linemen and stand in space while the crappy linebackers behind them try and make plays.

It looked to me like the Bills ran the 3-4 zone blitz scheme a lot last year and if I'm not mistaken that is or was the Steelers claim to fame under former Steeler DC Dick LeBeau. In that defense, it was OK to have a bunch of average D- linemen dropping into pass coverage because they had such great linebackers behind them to make the plays. Kinda the exact opposite of the Bills situation.

So, when I watched Mario Williams this year in games and I noticed he would fly off the snap like he was going to rush and then just stop, like standing in place. That is because that is exactly what he was supposed to do in a 3-4 set, and he did exactly what he was asked to do by Ryan, in taking up space, controlling the gap, occupy blockers. Many fans want to label him as a player with a bad attitude because he voiced his opinion to the media or someone who wasn't doing his job and they have it all wrong as I see it. This is why my opinion differs from yours.

I think the point that you miss is that Rex knows how to tell the media and fans what they want to hear.

It's not a trait exclusive to him.

Do you remember Kevin Kolb talking about taking the Bills to the SB in his introductory PC? :lol:

Yes, Rex said he thought Buffalo would be his last shot as an NFL HC..........because he wanted to add gravity to his words and endear himself to the fanbase.

But make no mistake.......he was talking about being a HC.......not his ability to coach the defensive side of the ball.

But somehow his ability as a defensive strategist took an enormous hit this season.

NOBODY expected him to take a top 5 D and destroy it........somehow completely neutering a dominant pass rush in the process.

This wasn't Sanchez and Geno getting him fired like in NY.......this was Air Coryell not being not being able to execute a forward pass.......it was beneath anything you thought possible from Rex Ryan.

I always appreciate your Feedback Badol : )

I remain firm in that he knows he defines his future in the NFL this year. Do or Die. Thats like my opinion Man.

: )

Like......."we ran the 2014 defense that day"......when the tape shows a hodge podge of poorly mixed fronts and coverages with confused defenders uncertain of where to line up.

I don't know if he was necessarily lying. The first 2015 Pats* game looked very similar to the second half of the first 2014 Pats* game.

One thing I noticed in most of the clips in that article is that Mario Williams looked like he was giving minimal effort.

I noticed confusion, late substitutions,late play calling, and d tackles dropping back into coverage. I know one thing, I didn't see a bully of a defense. I saw a POORLY coached defense. If one guy alone screwed the defense it was Rex, not Mario (this year's whipping boy). Who is it next year,Hughes?!

Actions speak louder than words......do they not?

That mess we watched last year didn't look like the work of someone who both understood it was his last chance and was determined not to fail.

Hence my point.......that most of what Rex says is just hot air.......often designed to create some space between him and the truth.

Apropos of my link above and Rex's performance this season, I'm starting to think that Rex could be the defensive version of Mike Martz -- massive early success with his system, an increasing belief in how ingenious he is, and declining results over time because (without being fully conscious of it) he has evolved into a pure system guy.

Martz is now in the TV booth.

Edited by dave mcbride

I think you're misunderstanding the point. JohnC says that Rex left the Jets in shambles. You're pointing out the defensive players he lobbied for in the draft, who also happen to be good (why no respect for Mo?). That list doesn't look like a roster in shambles.

What I'm referring to, which is what Rex was screaming about was that the offense was an utter mess and all the pressure to win games was put on the defense. Do you think that Bowles gets 10 wins without Fitz/Marshall?

I don't think Bowles gets 10 wins without those two guys, but I DO THINK BOWLES GETS 11 OR 12 WINS WITH OUR TEAM. He's a better coach, where Rex is a media hound of a clown.

It's OK to have an opinion that doesn't agree with mine. But allow me to explain the situation as I see it a little further.

The defensive ends in a 3-4 alignment have jobs similar to that of the nose tackle: they want to take up space, fill gaps, and occupy blockers. In the 3-4, linemen aren't expected to make many sacks or tackles. Most of the playmaking responsibilities fall upon the linebackers.

In a 4-3 system, linemen are supposed to occupy blockers, but they are also expected to free themselves to make tackles and sacks.

In 2015 Rex Ryan ran a mumble - jumble hybrid defense of sorts that clearly didn't work very well most of the time because he simply refused to blitz very often. He ran variations of a 3-4 / 4-3 during games in which he asked his defensive line players to do many different things in his scheme that Jim Schwartz didn't ask in his scheme.

Schwartz asked his D-linemen to mostly rush the passer simply because that is what they were being paid so much money to do...like 28% of the payroll is tied up in that front four...to rush the passer!! Jim Schwartz still had his D-line players dropping into pass coverage like a zone blitz, it's just he didn't ask them to do that as much as Ryan did this year. Plus, I can't recall Schwartz ever dropping Dareus or Kyle Williams into pass coverage much at all, if ever!

Schwartz made his defense work without asking his defense to blitz very often and that is a tribute to how good those front four players really are!! They all are worth every penny the Bills were paying them and yes even this past year. I say this because it's not their fault if they are being asked to do stupid things like occupy the O-linemen and stand in space while the crappy linebackers behind them try and make plays.

It looked to me like the Bills ran the 3-4 zone blitz scheme a lot last year and if I'm not mistaken that is or was the Steelers claim to fame under former Steeler DC Dick LeBeau. In that defense, it was OK to have a bunch of average D- linemen dropping into pass coverage because they had such great linebackers behind them to make the plays. Kinda the exact opposite of the Bills situation.

So, when I watched Mario Williams this year in games and I noticed he would fly off the snap like he was going to rush and then just stop, like standing in place. That is because that is exactly what he was supposed to do in a 3-4 set, and he did exactly what he was asked to do by Ryan, in taking up space, controlling the gap, occupy blockers. Many fans want to label him as a player with a bad attitude because he voiced his opinion to the media or someone who wasn't doing his job and they have it all wrong as I see it. This is why my opinion differs from yours.

I don't disagree with you that Rex's sometimes hodgepodge scheme inhibited Mario and some of the his mates. That was apparent for everyone to see. The before and after Rex influence is stark. What was evident to me (maybe not to you) was that Mario didn't always go full steam, even in the system that stymied him. Some of his own players anonymously called him out. So on this issue of Mario's lack of consistent effort I am going to respectfully disagree with you.

What you demonstrate in your post is that there was a "dumbness" to the way Rex was setting his defense. There also was a sloppiness that was reflected in the undisciplined way the defense played.

This season was set up to be a season of taking a step forward. The schedule unexpectedly worked in our favor and with even a more unexpected surprise the qb play was much better than anyone expected prior to the season. Rex's ineptitude squandered a season that was set up for success.

We ranked 19th in yards allowed, and 15 in points allowed. I'm sure there's other stats we were bad at, but if that's rex's worst statistical year ever. The sky probably isn't falling. He'll need to improve to keep his job though, that is a given. We brought him in to be a good defensive team.

Schwartz had his best year here, but if you look at his career numbers, its a total outlier. Were people not going to figure out how to beat his defense? I get that we were suited to run this scheme, but the quick passing and screen schemes we played against this year nullified our strength this year to a large extent.

Schwartz coached teams 6 times ranked below 19th in yards allowed, and 5 times ranked in the bottom 5 in points allowed. Injuries, and FA losses surely had something to do with this, but he also had a strong D-line in Detroit. Other issues can cause a top defense to fall in any scheme.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think we would have been top 5 or probably even top 10 if we had kept Schwartz. We don't have balance on our defense, and were missing playmakers in the middle of the defense. That doesn't work in any scheme.

We ranked 19th in yards allowed, and 15 in points allowed. I'm sure there's other stats we were bad at, but if that's rex's worst statistical year ever. The sky probably isn't falling. He'll need to improve to keep his job though, that is a given. We brought him in to be a good defensive team.

Schwartz had his best year here, but if you look at his career numbers, its a total outlier. Were people not going to figure out how to beat his defense? I get that we were suited to run this scheme, but the quick passing and screen schemes we played against this year nullified our strength this year to a large extent.

Schwartz coached teams 6 times ranked below 19th in yards allowed, and 5 times ranked in the bottom 5 in points allowed. Injuries, and FA losses surely had something to do with this, but he also had a strong D-line in Detroit. Other issues can cause a top defense to fall in any scheme.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think we would have been top 5 or probably even top 10 if we had kept Schwartz. We don't have balance on our defense, and were missing playmakers in the middle of the defense. That doesn't work in any scheme.

Agree with all of this.

I don't disagree with you that Rex's sometimes hodgepodge scheme inhibited Mario and some of the his mates. That was apparent for everyone to see. The before and after Rex influence is stark. What was evident to me (maybe not to you) was that Mario didn't always go full steam, even in the system that stymied him. Some of his own players anonymously called him out. So on this issue of Mario's lack of consistent effort I am going to respectfully disagree with you.

What you demonstrate in your post is that there was a "dumbness" to the way Rex was setting his defense. There also was a sloppiness that was reflected in the undisciplined way the defense played.

This season was set up to be a season of taking a step forward. The schedule unexpectedly worked in our favor and with even a more unexpected surprise the qb play was much better than anyone expected prior to the season. Rex's ineptitude squandered a season that was set up for success.

I'm very aware that some "anonymous" player on the 2015 Buffalo Bills was upset because he thought Mario didn't give 100% and had "totally checked out". That story was in the Buffalo News. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

I'm also aware that some of his own "defensive" teammates like linebacker Preston Brown and Leodis McKelvin are saying the exact opposite,

Not everyone agrees with this critique. Williams’ numbers may be down across the board, but inside linebacker Preston Brown asserts that Williams “definitely bought in” to Ryan’s defense and that effort hasn’t been an issue.

“He was trying to do what the coaches asked him to,” Brown said. “When you’re 30 years old, it’s kind of hard to start doing stuff you’ve never done. … He’s out there doing his job. I know he’s out there doing his job day in and day out.”

Added cornerback Leodis McKelvin, “With him, it could be frustration in getting to the quarterback a lot more. But he wants to play – there’s no doubt about it. He wants to play. But you’re used to getting to the quarterback and now you’re making sacrifices for someone else to get to the quarterback. ... You can’t say one man did something wrong and it caused the whole defense to shut down. It was a complete, total everything.”

That so-called anonymous player is probably an offensive player that doesn't sit in with the defensive players in the player meetings and really has no idea what Mario Williams was being asked to do this past season. So, some of his own players on the team might not be aware of his responsibilities during games on certain play calls. Then, so far all his coaches have said that they are satisfied with Mario Williams play,

Ryan. Defensive coordinator Dennis Thurman. Defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. Coaches have supported Williams all season long – possibly to a fault. Their message has never wavered.

Dunbar, all smiles, praised the veteran on Thursday.

Asked how one of this generation’s best pass rushers can last 54 snaps without one tackle, one hit, one sack, Dunbar reiterated they’re pleased with Williams’ play.

“He’s doing a good job of coming off the edge and the quarterback’s getting rid of the ball,” Dunbar said. “It’s kind of hard because the defense we play is predicated on what they give us and who’s going to be the hot guy. Yeah, you wish you had more tackles, you wish you had more sacks. But I think he’s helping our defense based upon the things he’s doing.”

Dunbar cited linebacker Manny Lawson’s hit on Dallas’ Kellen Moore – the team’s only registered QB hit in the game – as one such play. Williams covered tight end James Hanna out of the backfield, eliminating the hot read and Moore was walloped.

The coach asserts Williams “has been around the quarterback” and didn’t hesitate on if Williams has been giving his all.

“Yeah, I think so,” Dunbar said. “He’s out there doing the things we’ve asked him to do. … It’s a little bit different than what he’s done in the past, but I think it’s working for us.”

And Dunbar does view Williams as a fit in Buffalo’s defense, even when the player himself puts the scheme on trial."

Do you not see that Rex Ryan's 2015 Buffalo Bills defensive scheme was asking superstar pass rusher, Mario Williams, to drop into pass coverage so that the linebacker can make the play. The team registered one freaking, stinking lousy hit on the QB all game and the coaches are happy about it :wallbash:

Anyway, I must have missed the plays Mario Williams didn't go full steam in this past year. So, perhaps, you would please be so kind to point out the specific plays in certain games that Williams didn't make any effort in.

Edited by Nihilarian

We ranked 19th in yards allowed, and 15 in points allowed. I'm sure there's other stats we were bad at, but if that's rex's worst statistical year ever. The sky probably isn't falling.

It's not his worst statistical year ever.

2007 Ravens: 22nd PPG (32nd T/G no spike in O turnovers)

2011-2012 Jets: 20th PPG (19th and 29th T/G)

2013 Jets: 19th PPG (29th T/G)

2014 Jets: 24th PPG (30th T/G)

The apologist explanation for the poor showing in PPG is that the O and/or ST killed them with turnovers, giving the D short field to defend and little rest.

I looked under the hood at the Ravens between 2006 (1), 2007 (22) , and 2008 (3). The number of INTs thrown by Ravens QBs was similar: 14, 14, and 12. No explanation there.

The difference in number of INTs made by the defense was stunning: 26, 17, and 26 as was the number of opponent fumbles 24, 12, 21. Clearly a big part of the T/G change was productivity on D.

This was the basis for my emergent belief that Rex needs a specific type of personnel playing at a high level to make his D work (ball-hawking and fumble-forcing LB and DB). The Jets story may be different, I haven't looked.

It's a possibility that the D would have regressed under Schwartz. We don't get to go back and have a do-over.

People like myself who feel it would have been better - maybe not top 5 again, but better - believe that the strength of Schwartz D, the stout pressuring line, was intact for much of the season and that the Schwartz D asked less of the LB and DB. In contrast the needs of a successful Rex D (star DB and LB) didn't match our personnel. So LB who were adequate under Schwartz were inadequate as Rex used them (eg Bradham, Brown). I think Schwartz would have sadly missed Spikes, but I also think Schwartz would have lobbied hard for someone with Spikes-like run-stuffing skills to be added. We don't get to go back and have that do-over, either.

All we can do is hope for next year.

People like myself who feel it would have been better - maybe not top 5 again, but better - believe that the strength of Schwartz D, the stout pressuring line, was intact for much of the season and that the Schwartz D asked less of the LB and DB. In contrast the needs of a successful Rex D (star DB and LB) didn't match our personnel. So LB who were adequate under Schwartz were inadequate as Rex used them (eg Bradham, Brown). I think Schwartz would have sadly missed Spikes, but I also think Schwartz would have lobbied hard for someone with Spikes-like run-stuffing skills to be added. We don't get to go back and have that do-over, either.

All we can do is hope for next year.

Then I'm curious what you think would have been different given the concerted strategy to neutralize them in 2015: the quick passing game. Why would the d-line, under any circumstances, been more effective, regardless of the coordinator?

I think you and I are simpatico, however, on the impact of Spikes' departure, something that gets overlooked A LOT by Rex's most ardent critics.

Perhaps you missed the fact that this past years defense was historically bad in sacks and that the only year the Bills have had less sacks in a season was in a strike shortened season.

The 2014 Buffalo Bills led the NFL in sacks with 54.

The 2015 Buffalo Bills were 32nd in the NFL or second to last in sacks with 21.

How important are sacks? Ask the #1 defense and #1 sacking team in the NFL this year with 52 sacks. The AFC Championship Denver Broncos. The 2015 Buffalo Bills could have been right there with them defensively.

There is little doubt in my mind that the 2015 Buffalo Bills defense would have been even better with 2nd round pick CB Ronald Darby who should earn defensive rookie of the year.

In my view, a whole lot more Buffalo Bills defensive players would have made the pro bowl this past season with Schwartz running the show....OH, NOT ONE Buffalo Bills defensive player made the pro bowl roster in 2016...I wonder why.

I'm very aware that some "anonymous" player on the 2015 Buffalo Bills was upset because he thought Mario didn't give 100% and had "totally checked out". That story was in the Buffalo News. http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/31/marios-swan-song-with-bills-is-near/

I'm also aware that some of his own "defensive" teammates like linebacker Preston Brown and Leodis McKelvin are saying the exact opposite,

That so-called anonymous player is probably an offensive player that doesn't sit in with the defensive players in the player meetings and really has no idea what Mario Williams was being asked to do this past season. So, some of his own players on the team might not be aware of his responsibilities during games on certain play calls. Then, so far all his coaches have said that they are satisfied with Mario Williams play,

I don't know about the anonymous player being an offensive player. Mario implied that, but there were clues I think that implied it was a D player, probably a backup or bit player.

Frankly even Brown and McKelvins's defense seems apologist to me: "when you're 30 years old, it's kind of hard to start doing stuff you've never done" and "you're used to getting to the QB and now you're making sacrifices for someone else to get to the QB" is not exactly "the opposite", eh? Also, Ty Dunne claimed what he quoted was "the tip of the iceburg". But Nah, I'm not gonna go through and point out plays where I think Mario took off. For one thing, I'm not at the level some here are at interpreting D play.

Do you not see that Rex Ryan's 2015 Buffalo Bills defensive scheme was asking superstar pass rusher, Mario Williams, to drop into pass coverage so that the linebacker can make the play. The team registered one freaking, stinking lousy hit on the QB all game and the coaches are happy about it :wallbash:

This IMHO is inarguable, and the heart of my frustration with Rex's D. Our DL was our strength, our LB I would characterize as "adequate in the right scheme". So Rex brought in a scheme that demanded adequate line play and star LB. I think Preston Brown can be a smart, solid player in the right scheme (he was last year) but covering vast ground and rushing the passer is NOT his strength.