This offseason...Whaley's last move to get over the hump

Billsfed

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the team fails blame should fall equally on Whaley.

Whaley has brought in talent. Rex has wasted it. Look at the defense year-to-year performance. Enough said. The offensive improvement is not a Rex thing any more than the defense was a Morrone thing.

we will resign Cog, franchise Glenn and try and negotiate a longterm deal, restructure Leodis, Kyle, and Clay. Cut Boogie and Felton. If we still have any cap room left, sign Mitchell Schwartz and a nose tackle. We will add a WR and front 7 help draft day, with most of our draft devoted to front 7. That is my prediction

There will likely be two big name additions in FA as well

Based on what?

Whaley has been saying since last offseason that the Bills would not be very active in FA this offseason and instead would be concentrating on resigning their own players

sure did, but at a fair cost. Glenn and Richie will be offered fair deals but nothing crazy. If they ask for something outrageous, they'll see the door like those two did

My guess is McKelvin and Kyle both take a decent cut to stay, Mario bolts. With that added space a big physical linebacker will be added

Not true. Spiller at $4.5M per year? I would've had an aneurysm.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/03/04/cj-spiller-bills-contract-free-agent-45-million

Why do people expect expensive additions when Whaley has plainly said this offseason will be about resigning our own players?

Do they think he is lying?

I expect

Glenn and Cog to be resigned

Either a "b" list free agent RT or a high draft pick RT

We will probably sign a true nose.....and they are not that expensive

There will probably be a lot of reworking of current player contracts.......like Clay

Mario will be gone.....and we will probably use a high draft pick to replace him.

Agreed

I like Whaley. No one hits on all moves, but it's important to have vision, and hit more than you miss. He's had many hits and some misses. Most likely most of these guys are resigned, and the critical key to success is he has to hit like last year.

We all questioned the draft, but Darby was a homerun, and lock CB's are expensive so we get him on the cheap for four years. Miller was injured but did well for the first 2/3 of the year, and I love Karlos Williams. RB's get hurt, but he was a fantastic compliment to Shady.

We need another draft of three to four starters.

I am a Whaley fan!

Whaley has made some decent moves in the last few years, but overpaying a player like Mario Williams is not the way to conduct business. It screams desperation. I don't care how much you pay a player, if he doesn't really want to be where he's paid to play, he's not going to play for the team. What Mario did was laugh all the way to the bank, and gave the Bills a half hearted effort.

The Fred Jackson release was upsetting to me as a Bills fan mostly because he gave 100% of what he had to give and bled Buffalo red white and blue. He actually wanted to be here. He tried his best to inspire the best out of his team mates even if it was a lost cause. The man definitely earned my respect, as well as being a class act. He was upset when he was cut, which was a pleasant surprise to me because most players in the last decade can't wait to get out of Buffalo.

And finally, Rex Ryan. I have to say at first I was excited about the hire. I thought with our defense as stout as it is, and Rex having a ton of defensive schemes, we were for sure going to have a top 3 defense. Wishful thinking. Undisciplined penalties, lack of attention, very little attention to details, was what most Bills fans saw for a good part of the season. Someone had written on here about the Rex hire being ill advised because the inmates would start running the asylum. More true words could not have been written. Our team seems to be slowly turning into a freak show with no end in sight. Rex, here are a few words for you...... never mind trying to relive the glory days with the Jets, and work on the Buffalo Bills. Don't boast about how great our team is going to be. Just build a great team!!! If we have a great team, great players will want to come to Buffalo and stay.

Not true. Spiller at $4.5M per year? I would've had an aneurysm.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/03/04/cj-spiller-bills-contract-free-agent-45-million

Nobody wants to hear this. Whaley can do no wrong, didn't you hear?

The very premise of this thread is pretty tough to take.

How about the Bills back into an away wild card slot before we throw a parade of love for Whaley?

And the best receiver we've had in twenty years involves his agent and goes public with his frustration, in a failed attempt to get targeted appropriately.

Sammy's public attempt did not fail at all. Once he went public, the coach said; "Oh I forgot you were on the team." Coach was publicly embarrassed and had to involve Sammy. Sammy responded with 900 yards and 7 TDs in 9 games. His vent actually worked to perfection.

Its very hard to speculate at this point. The only positions not up in the air for the Bills in free agency are QB, RB and TE. QB won't addressed in free agency because no meaningful players are available. The Bills are already over invested in RB and TE, and the players at those positions are adequate. Oline signings or lack thereof will revolve around whether or not Glenn is resigned. If Mario departs, then dline may be addressed in free agency. If he stays, nothing will happen there. If Gilmore is not resigned a CB may be targeted, if he is probably not.

At this stage the Bills really aren't an "up and comer", they are more in "wheel spinning" mode. The "young" team of two years ago is now middle aged in NFL terms. At the beginning of last season people anticipated three Nix hold overs, Mario Williams, Kyle Williams and Aaron Williams to all be part of a all-pro dominant defense. That is nearly 30% of the starting defense. None may be playing or effective for the Bills next year. That will leave two Nix hold overs Gilmore (if resigned) and Dareus as the only defensive players that could be called stars. None of the Whaley draft picks or free agency signings on defense really project to have a big impact in 2016. The Bills will likely have a middling defense next year.

On offense, Taylor is the key, if he can keep the same passer rating while increasing the number of passing plays by about 10 per game, he will be a reasonable force to reckon with. The line could be improved in free agency and the draft. And another receiver should be able to be added. In truth, the Bills will be relying on the offense not the defense for success in 2016. That is not a bad thing. Like a lot of other NFL teams, the Bills are squarely on the shoulder of the QB in 2016. There isn't enough talent around him for the team to be successful with Taylor as a game manager.

Whaley has made some decent moves in the last few years, but overpaying a player like Mario Williams is not the way to conduct business. It screams desperation. I don't care how much you pay a player, if he doesn't really want to be where he's paid to play, he's not going to play for the team. What Mario did was laugh all the way to the bank, and gave the Bills a half hearted effort.

except that aside from part of this year Mario was a great player and teammate until Rex came in and changed his role in the defence from something he was really good at to something he would not look good at. I don't blame him for being upset, people are more likely going to look at you and blame you and say your not as good when your put in a position of weakness and not where your strengths are utilized.

There won't be any big signings unless some big players are moved or allowed to walk, the team has already come out and set it will have enough trouble re-signing it's own FAs

Expect more bargain bin/dumpster diving moves to fill the roster this off-season cause it doesn't matter how much money TP has in his account, there's little room under the cap to use it.

This team will have to hope for some hidden gems, some starters in the draft, guys playing better then last year, and better coaching if they want to be better then they were last season cause they won't be getting an influx of talent through free agency without taking a hit to the roster