Maddog Sports segment on the non hiring of Marrone

mellaman101

Maddog Sport morning NFL weekly is a great listen if anyone has Sirius.

Topic on Marrone was suppose to be 10 minutes but lasted almost 45 minutes.

Major reason for not being hired

VERY combative with General Managers and "disliked" by players everywhere. Buffalo's GM is said to put the word out about him. They are saying that Dareus and Woods got into Marrone's face when he degraded Hughes in practice one day.

Zimmerman called him a huge cancer. Said it was a dream come true in Buffalo upper management to get rid of this guy at any cost! All said that if Marrone is not hired this season then he should head back to college ranks. Zimmerman even said that his trust and credibility is so bad that Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie stated that the only way he would consider Marrone is if he would sign a deal where pay is based on his ability to preform, coach, and his ability to get along with management/players (Yuck). Also it was said Eagles were the ONLY team to take a serious look at Marrone because he is unproven and hated by staff/players in Buffalo. Buffalos D was mostly in place before he arrived and had nothing to do with Buffalo's D anyways.

Bottom line, they went off on topic by saying the guy is a proven micro manager and cancer.

Good luck Mr Marrone.....

Edited by mellaman101

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY combative with General Managers and "disliked" by players everywhere. Buffalo's GM is said to put the word out about him. They are saying that Dareus and Woods got into Marrone's face when he degraded Hughes in practice one day.

Zimmerman called him a huge cancer. Said it was a dream come true in Buffalo upper management to get rid of this guy at any cost! All said that if Marrone is not hired this season then he should head back to college ranks. Zimmerman even said that his trust and credibility is so bad that Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie stated that the only way he would consider Marrone is if he would sign a deal where pay is based on his ability to preform, coach, and his ability to get along with management/players (Yuck). Also it was said Eagles were the ONLY team to take a serious look at Marrone because he is unproven and hated by staff/players in Buffalo. Buffalos D was mostly in place before he arrived and had nothing to do with Buffalo's D anyways.

Bottom line, they went off on topic by saying the guy is a proven micro manager and cancer.

The two bills drive narrative for 2 years before Marrone quit was that he was "changing the culture". :doh::lol:

The Bills (and many posters here) were banging the "continuity" drum hard with him.

i still don't think the Bills wanted to fire him or that they wanted him to leave. They just didn't want to extend him that soon, or give him more power. all of the things mentioned above plus other things reported since aren't really fireable offenses on their own when you have a winning record, but they are a factor in those other decisions. I am sure they didn't expect him to opt out. But were willing to take the risk. Edited by YoloinOhio

That the same Jeff Luria who hired Chip Kelly?

The two bills drive narrative for 2 years before Marrone quit was that he was "changing the culture". :doh::lol:

Was it now?

Because I can remember plenty...I mean plenty of folks around here who did not like the guy...Myself included...

How was it the general narrative of the message board? Or did you mean to say One Bills Drive? B-)

i still don't think the Bills wanted to fire him or that they wanted him to leave. They just didn't want to extend him that soon, or give him more power. all of the things mentioned above plus other things reported since aren't really fireable offenses on their own when you have a winning record, but they are a factor in those other decisions. I am sure they didn't expect him to opt out. But were willing to take the risk.

I suspect you are right. They were willing to give him another year but Marrone overplayed his hand with the opt-out threat.

So it was basically just me and you then? :thumbsup:

I have to admit...It's a bit embarrassing...But I hated the guy from the minute he cut Da'Rick Rogers...

In retrospect it brought me to the right conclusion...Only for the wrong reason... :lol:

I have to admit...It's a bit embarrassing...But I hated the guy from the minute he cut Da'Rick Rogers...

In retrospect it brought me to the right conclusion...Only for the wrong reason... :lol:

To be honest the only poster I remember not liking Marrone was a guy that referred to him as "Greggo" because it would be us two constantly in battle with the Marrone is "changing the culture", he is a good head coach narrative...until he quit anyways... :)

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

They were? He up and quit two days after the season ended. I don't recall ever having the debate.

i didn't want him fired. Gave him benefit of the doubt. Until he showed himself to be a fraud and a quitter. However I remember the talk of him being fired heating up after the Denver game I believe? Or Oakland? Because the wgr guys asked Russ Brandon about the rumblings and Russ laughed saying it wasn't even a consideration. Edited by YoloinOhio

To be honest the only poster I remember not liking Marrone was a guy that referred to him as "Greggo" because it would be us two constantly in battle with the Marrone is "changing the culture", he is a good head coach narrative...until he quit anyways... :)

I really disliked the guy a lot...Like I said almost from the get go...Though I do tend to stay out of the fray a bit more these days...My feeling on Marrone was always that he was a run first coach...but we could not run with any consistency...And an ex O-lineman and O-line coach that could not develop O-linemen...Plus he hired a College kid to run his Offense...To me it just seemed like a trainwreck almost from day one... B-)

I really disliked the guy a lot...Like I said almost from the get go...Though I do tend to stay out of the fray a bit more these days...My feeling on Marrone was always that he was a run first coach...but we could not run with any consistency...And an ex O-lineman and O-line coach that could not develop O-linemen...Plus he hired a College kid to run his Offense...To me it just seemed like a trainwreck almost from day one... B-)

Yup.

Brandon and the rest of One Bills Drive successfully pulled the wool over the eyes of the fanbase on the hire by saying that he was a winner, that he was forward thinking, analytical and an aggressive head coach when it came to gameday decisions.

I just laughed when I heard that.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever