Mock Draft

john_bult

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initially in his career, I could not agree more.

I do think long term, his passing skills translate to a high threshold and like Newton can develop into a true pocket passing QB, but unlike Newton who I thought could develop pocket passing skills because of his game tape vs. higher level comp, that tape vs. higher comp doesnt exist with Wentz, hence the rub for me moving forward and why the senior bowl is a huge measuring stick for him IMO.

I've seen enough at his current level to believe he can make the adjustments needed at the next level, so I feel comfortable giving him a high 1st round grade today (the process is young, so things change), but could see why others would not.

I think that having a plan for him, and young QB's in general is crucial. I hate, yet love comparisons, but I think evaluating him individually first is more important than anything.

What do you see his ceiling being?

Not so much his ceiling but a career projection for Wentz is something akin to Russell Wilson. I know, nothing about that sounds right but bear with me!

The reason that I earmarked Buffalo/Denver as landing spots (outside of offensive fit) is because they could both sustain success with defensive personnel (yes, I think Rex can revive the D to that level) and do similar to what Seattle did with Wilson. Run the ball, control the clock, play suffocating defense and gradually mix the passing game into the fold more and more over time.

I think both Wilson and Wentz are very nuanced passers but both needed to work on their play in the pocket early on. You've started to see it come to fruition with Wilson this year and, for the first time, he's been able to put the team on his shoulders for extended periods of the game and won games by himself. I think with the right plan, you could see Wentz make similar strides as a passer and a leader on the field.

It's taken 4 years for Wilson to reach that point. It might take Wentz as long, maybe even longer, to assume that position. Maybe Seattle could've taken the reigns off Wilson earlier and the injuries to Lynch just forced their hands to allow it this season. I can only speculate. Either way, Wentz isn't as accomplished as Wilson was so the learning curve is significantly steeper.

I don't think Wentz is destined for superstar status but I think if you stand by him for the duration of his rookie contract, he'll earn his way into a lucrative second deal. Like Miami has done with Tannehill, you have to let him make his mistakes and use them as teachable moments.

19: R1P19
OLB MYLES JACK
UCLA
49: R2P18
DT KENNY CLARK
UCLA
80: R3P17
OLB SU'A CRAVENS
USC
114: R4P19
TE NICK VANNETT
OHIO ST
144: R5P17
WR BRAXTON MILLER
OHIO STATE
174: R6P17
PK ROBERT AGUAYO
FLORIDA ST

This was using the draftek board updated on 1/27. I would love this draft! I will attempt another draft using the fanspeak board which was also updated 1/27

OLB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
DT SHELDON RANKINS
LOUISVILLE
OLB JOSHUA PERRY
OHIO STATE
DE BRONSON KAUFUSI
BRIGHAM YOUNG
WR BRALON ADDISON
OREGON
WR DEVON CAJUSTE
STANFORD

Fanspeak board-

until they just do. every year we have about 100 " sure fire 1st rounders "

OLB JAYLON SMITH
NOTRE DAME
OG VADAL ALEXANDER
LSU
OLB KYLER FACKRELL
UTAH STATE
WR BRAXTON MILLER
OHIO STATE
DT ADAM GOTSIS
GEORGIA TECH
ILB JARED NORRIS
UTAH

OT TAYLOR DECKER

OHIO STATE

OLB NOAH SPENCE

EASTERN KENTUCKY

DE SHAWN OAKMAN

BAYLOR

DT VERNON BUTLER

LOUISIANA TECH

K ROBERTO AGUAYO

FLORIDA STATE

ILB JARED NORRIS

UTAH

No way Vernon Butler will be there in the fourth.

I really wonder if folks will still think Nkemdiche is a 3-4 DE fit if he comes in at 6' 2" and 270-ish lbs.

There's also rumours of a s**t storm coming surrounding the Ole Miss recruitment of him and Tunsil.

Edited by Blokestradamus