Johnny Manziel (update: waived by Browns)

His dad said the best place for his kid is jail. He is right. If he wants to keep him sober and out of trouble. Rehab would be better, but he can't keep him in. One of the more interesting parts of the article was where his dad said Johnny has more money than him. I feel like we were lead to believe his family was very wealthy and had crazy oil money going back generations. . That was an odd statement.

Johnnys first contract plus initial endorsements plus any inheritance probably adds up real fast

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People do recover from addiction. My brother in law was an addict for over 20 years. He's been sober for the last five and now runs two addiction counseling centers. He's dedicated the rest of his life to helping people avoid making the same mistakes he did.

When he graduated from college he had it all. Several job offers, a handsome guy who had no trouble getting dates, etc. Then he was at an office party one night and tried some crack, and the slide began.

But he survived it and came out a stronger, wiser person.

Manziel's story is a fairly common one. All his family can do at this point is hope that when he hits bottom, he'll still be alive to start recovering. I never got the impression that Johnny was a stupid guy, so let's hope he'll wake up before it's too late.

he may be smart but he seems like he is the more rebellious type, so the harder people try to reign him in the harder he fights back.

I think he could still probably get some kind of cushy job at A&M where he gets paid to golf with alumni and do appearances.

It'll be awhile before anyone gives him that. He's going to have to get things straight and do well for awhile.

not for long, Johnny will be broke soon.

Oh I'm sure it's bleeding out fast- but he's got A LOT to burn through.

His dad said the best place for his kid is jail. He is right. If he wants to keep him sober and out of trouble. Rehab would be better, but he can't keep him in. One of the more interesting parts of the article was where his dad said Johnny has more money than him. I feel like we were lead to believe his family was very wealthy and had crazy oil money going back generations. . That was an odd statement.

Thats hilarious.

On this you have no idea. None.

I respect you but sometimes folks know not of what they speak.

His Dad sends the worst possible message to his Son and has been all along.

As Father with struggling Kids I would never ever make such a public statement.

He would be better said " I failed my Son, I have been a poor Father and am at a loss here "

Wishing jail is just absurd.

Thats hilarious.

He would be better said " I failed my Son, I have been a poor Father and am at a loss here "

One of my best friends wished for jail for his son, and helped the cops put him there. (It's where he deserved to be!) No public statements, but helped the cops find him to lock him up. It kept him alive and now years have passed and the son is actually living a productive life. It's certainly far from ideal, but sometimes it's the best alternative.

As crazy as it sounds, it's a huge relief when they're in jail. It sucks, but at least you know they are relatively safe compared to being on the streets. Detox or treatment is far better, but the streets are far worse. One day they can have a full life again.

Edited by Augie

What a shame. Been through drug addiction with my dad (granted he had cancer but thank God he beat it). 6 days in ECMC detox. It wasn't easy to getc him to agree, but now he looks back and realizes what he had become and changed his approach to life completely. I wish and pray the same for Manziel.

Edited by It's in My Blood

One of my best friends wished for jail for his son, and helped the cops put him there. (It's where he deserved to be!) No public statements, but helped the cops find him to lock him up. It kept him alive and now years have passed and the son is actually living a productive life. It's certainly far from ideal, but sometimes it's the best alternative.

As crazy as it sounds, it's a huge relief when they're in jail. It sucks, but at least you know they are relatively safe compared to being on the streets. Detox or treatment is far better, but the streets are far worse. One day they can have a full life again.

I suppose in depend on the jail.

See your point Augie for sure and thanks for countering my opinion !

I have other not so good stories about jails .

Each case is different I suppose.

An i probably overreacted to YOLO.

My apologies buddy !!

I have some jail horror stories in my baggage still.

Thats hilarious.

i meant from the standpoint of its the safest place to keep him alive since he couldn't keep him in rehab. It sounded like keeping him alive was his goal at this point. Edited by YoloinOhio

I know. I overreacted :thumbdown: .

I suppose you could have stuck with facts more but don't be hard on yourself. There are jails and jails ('country club' vs hell-hole)

I expect JM's dad is thinking more along the lines of the jail described here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15472532/how-reche-caldwell-googled-way-patriots-prison

than some of the jails I know of where guys mysteriously die er "commit suicide" and they're overcrowded and every kind of drug still gets in.

Or maybe just not thinking.

It's been pretty clear all along that JM's immediate family has been part of his problem. When the kid can't relax with his fam because every trip home his dad has a trunkload of crap for him to autograph, the dad has no idea how to help the kid control his anger and responds to drunk-driving issues by getting the kid a fancy BMW, and the daughter is the one who has to talk the parents out of getting "JFF Mom" and "JFF Dad" vanity plates, that kind of tells you what you need to know.

I suppose in depend on the jail.

See your point Augie for sure and thanks for countering my opinion !

I have other not so good stories about jails .

Each case is different I suppose.

An i probably overreacted to YOLO.

My apologies buddy !!

I have some jail horror stories in my baggage still.

Oh no, I get it! Jail/prison can be very, very bad places. But they are likely to survive the time served. Time on the streets can be far deadlier. My buddy kept his son out of prison and in the county jail for almost 2 years, and they said it wasn't that bad. We spent last weekend in a household where the 25ish year old son had just been released after several years in minimum security prison and he said it was like camp for delinquent adults and not threatening. One of his cohorts got caught with a cell phone one day and was sent to maximum security. He spared us the horror stories from there, but my sister used to be a teacher there, so I know it can be truly awful. (She was often teaching "high school graduates" how to write their names - encouraging, huh?) Edited by Augie

I suppose you could have stuck with facts more but don't be hard on yourself. There are jails and jails ('country club' vs hell-hole)

I expect JM's dad is thinking more along the lines of the jail described here: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15472532/how-reche-caldwell-googled-way-patriots-prison

than some of the jails I know of where guys mysteriously die er "commit suicide" and they're overcrowded and every kind of drug still gets in.

Or maybe just not thinking.

It's been pretty clear all along that JM's immediate family has been part of his problem. When the kid can't relax with his fam because every trip home his dad has a trunkload of crap for him to autograph, the dad has no idea how to help the kid control his anger and responds to drunk-driving issues by getting the kid a fancy BMW, and the daughter is the one who has to talk the parents out of getting "JFF Mom" and "JFF Dad" vanity plates, that kind of tells you what you need to know.

I was probably ranting at Manziel's father more than anything.

Guy really pisses me off.

Having had a my far share of challenges raising the kids under difficult situations , i loathe the quitter attitude.

You don't get the choice to give up on your Kids !

Mr Manziel might be the one who should seek help so he can help his son.

A father is the most important role model for a young Man.

there i go ranting again.

My Son's dear friend has been cast aside by his Father and it has been horrible to watch for the last 15 years. The addictions the lack of hope and self respect is heart breaking.

The public statements by the father are sending a poorly thought out message, but at some point you can't reward or even accept negative behavior.The dad realizes he can't control him. Calling him a "druggie" shows a lack of......many things. Johnny has a serious problem and the negative connotation does not help him reconnect with family or anyone else. I could go on and on, but I won't.

Last word (for now), this thread shows a lot about people who are posting. There's a lot of ignorance and judgment out there. Some think they're just so clever and above this kind of tragedy. Maybe they (and their families) are "too good" for that, they're above it. Maybe they resent people with money, maybe there's a sense of disdain for some reason. They just don't have a clue.

Troy Vincent says NFL is still trying to help "out of control" Johnny Manziel

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/06/29/troy-vincent-nfl-is-still-trying-to-help-out-of-control-johnny-manziel/

I don't care what ulterior motives others will likely point out ... I just think it's great that this kid is getting some support/help. I hope he takes advantage of it and turns his life around. Whether or not he ever cracks another 53 is irrelevant. This could actually save his life.