Seattle-based VICIS unveils new design for football helmets

The guy who discovered the whole CTE thing says that helmet technology is the wrong approach and won't help. The problem is not the blow to the head, it's the heads reaction to the hit that causes the brain to collide with the skull which causes the concussions and CTE. I suppose if you could build a helmet that would cushion the blow so much that the head didn't snap back causing the brain to collide with the skull that would work. I suppose it's possible.

The NFL could do a lot more to prevent this kind of stuff by ejecting any player that lowers his head and crams into an opponent. Would probably be a lot of ejections at first, but they'd learn.

He did NOT discover it, he labelled it and did research on it before getting press on it. He was told need to have catchy name.

There are TWO external factors which affect concussion - force of blow and change in speed including how quickly it happens. B

• Blow can be softened but that type of material needs to be replaced every time - it can become very expensive especially for players who lead with head
  • The change in speed is what they are partially attempting to fix with this helmet; the delta will not be a lot but anything helps.

Either way.....super athletic huge fast guys flying around at full speed, presumably their brains are going as fast as the rest of their body, if they come to an abrupt stop from a violent collision, even just a shoulder to shoulder hit, their brain may still smash into the inside of their skill regardless of helmet or design.

Brains are delicate and these guys are freakish athletes playing a game with violent collisions.

He did NOT discover it, he labelled it and did research on it before getting press on it. He was told need to have catchy name.

I got the book for Christmas and read it. What do you mean he did not discover it? He did an autopsy on Mike Webster and analyzed his brain and found it and then found it in other players. Did someone find it before? Yes he also came up with the name at the advise of his boss who was a master of self promotion.

Short sighted? Who is going to pay for the helmets for youth sports @ 1500 each which will probably be stolen very fast?

I agree with you cost-wise, however the theft concept I find, in my coaching experiences across multiple sports, wrong. Kids will keep jerseys and balls before they keep padding and helmets or other equipment, especially under threat of charging them to pay for replacement. The kid's parents will not want $1500 billed to them.

so

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/seattle-based-vicis-unveils-design-football-helmets-202745219--spt.html

The NFL players already plays bumper cars and need new bumper:

NFPLA has already commented that the league can not make any changes without their agreement; they already have that discussion in past with mandatory thigh pads that the NFL forced players to wear and may have cost some players performance bonuses.

So the NFLPA is more concerned about a few players making bonuses(not sure how a helmet would affect bonuses since all the players would be wearing them) than about longterm health implications of their players? If they are effective in reducing concussions even marginally, then I think they would be fools to try and recommend against it, and might lessen their bargaining powers in any future litigation because the NFL can point to them doing what they can to try and reduce concussions and the players themselves shot it down...

Edited by matter2003

so

So the NFLPA is more concerned about a few players making bonuses(not sure how a helmet would affect bonuses since all the players would be wearing them) than about longterm health implications of their players? If they are effective in reducing concussions even marginally, then I think they would be fools to try and recommend against it, and might lessen their bargaining powers in any future litigation because the NFL can point to them doing what they can to try and reduce concussions and the players themselves shot it down...

The players believe that extra equipment affects them negatively and that certain positions are affected to a greater degree than others. It's idiotic. This is why I don't pay much particular attention to the players talking about concussions. The NFL has tried before for safer helmets and the NFLPA rejects them. The NFLPA also supports players who intentionally try to injure other players. The NFLPA supports player who cheat and cost performance bonuses against players on teams the cheaters play against.

In short, the NFLPA is seriously corrupt.

Where does it mention evidence their helmet will or may reduce concussions? And how will they prove this in human trials?

I agree with you, why pay $1500 if it doesn't significantly help?

Here's a better article with a video near the bottom comparing the motion of VICIS vs a traditional helmet: http://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-vicis-football-helmet/

Here's an older study comparing different generations of Riddell helmets, so it is possible to achieve a reduction: http://www.momsteam.com/health-safety/football-helmets-reduce-concussion-risk-study-says

Personally, I doubt concussions can ever be eliminated with equipment but good equipment and good rules + enforcement may cut concussions dramatically. This area of research is just catching steam with the HITS sensor, so we'll see.

Seattle is also changing the way they tackle.. By playing as if they don't have a helmet on.

http://www.businessinsider.com/seahawks-tackling-style-could-change-nfl-2016-1

The concussion data at the end just says - per team. Any number of teams could be injured by other players reckless tackling.

This also looks like a much more effective way to tackle than Gilmore (and others) style of diving in front of the player and hope he trips over you.

Actually this looks like the way my YMCA coaches told us to tackle.

As far as the chart at the bottom goes, this is one thing that it's good we're below average in.

Edited by reddogblitz