Bills Named As One Of The Worst Teams At Managing The Cap.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no analysis, context, facts, it basically any type of reason applied here

Just a single statement of opinion from one person with no quantifiable data attached

I'm yet to here a good argument for a supposed cap issue for this team

He is going to do a post on the Bills in the near future to explain why. He says that in one of his most recent tweets. I'll make sure to get it in this thread.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

There is no analysis, context, facts, it basically any type of reason applied here

Just a single statement of opinion from one person with no quantifiable data attached

Isn't he the founder of the overthecap.com site?

He is going to do a post on the Bills in the near future to explain why. He says that in one of his most recent tweets. I'll make sure to get it in this thread.

That'd be good.

Very difficult to debate on either side without context

I still don't see what about the current cap situation is troubling, but perhaps that's what he's going to discuss

Yeah, the Jets are awesome with the cap

8 mil to Cromartie

5.1.25 mil to Giacomini OG (yeah, who?)

7.5 mil for David Harris MLB

5.575 mil to James Carpenter RT

7.75 mil to Buster Skrine CB

5.625 mil to Marcus Gilchrist S

Look at all that money alloted to the secondary and I'm leaving Revis out of this list because he's a great player. I would say the Jets are no better than us managing the cap

here is up to the day Salary Cap info from the NFLPA

https://www.nflpa.com/public-salary-cap-report

it ain't pretty for Buffalo

Ugh, 158 million. I'm liking our chances next year less and less. Even with cutting Mario, there will be a lot of players not signed and probably some more deep cuts. I didn't realize the cap situation was this bad. What's the cap expected to be next season?

When was the last time that too little cap space hindered the Bills from signing someone?

I'm honestly asking because I don't remember when that's happened. It's not like the Bills are losing people because they're too tight against the cap. Sure, this year looks a little tight, but until it actually hurts the front office, I'm not going to be too concerned.

When was the last time that too little cap space hindered the Bills from signing someone?

I'm honestly asking because I don't remember when that's happened. It's not like the Bills are losing people because they're too tight against the cap. Sure, this year looks a little tight, but until it actually hurts the front office, I'm not going to be too concerned.

Tom Donahoe era really screwed us from being able to re-sign a lot of our players

CBF

Bandit, Jason is the founder of OTC. He was asked on Twitter and likely responded according to this, which shows the teams with the lowest cap space as Saints, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Ravens. Cowboys.

So when asked about the teams with the worst job at managing the cap, he seems to have for the most part named teams with low cap space: "Other than Saints and Detroit, I'd say Miami, Bills, maybe Ravens."

The curious choice on that list is Detroit. Per his website Overthecap, Detroit comes after the Steelers, Redskins, and Jets for cap space, with $20M which is not bad. They also have a very low amount of dead money, $0.3M. So I'm not at all sure of his rationale there.

The omission on that list is the Patriots. I assume the rationale is that they're spending their money wisely since it's bringing them playoffs year after year.

It's understandable IMO that Bills are on the list of "poor cap managers". We are one of 2 teams who show as "over the cap" with a negative amount of cap space right now. It also doesn't help that we're still carrying $2.3M in "dead money". We are, however, about 8th on the list for amount of dead money, and in our case, it pretty much reflects a single bad signing (Chris Williams).

When people here tout Doug Whaley's mistakes, a curious omission from the list is Chris Williams. EJ Manuel may or may not be Whaley's mistake: from everything that was said, NIx (still GM) was insistent on drafting a QB before he stepped down as GM and EJ was the QB they consensus felt was best in that year. 1st round QB have a 50% miss rate and if it's true that the Bills went into the draft determined to draft a QB, Well. It's not like there's a Russ Wilson in that draft who was drafted later and lighting up the league that we missed on.

Chris Williams is the mystery of the Bills. What did they see in him? Why did they give him that contract? He's clear and away the biggest failure of Whaley's tenure as GM, bar none. The Director of Pro Personnel when Williams was signed, Tom Gibbons, got the ax after the season, and smart money might guess Williams is one reason why. We can only hope the failure in offensive pro scouting has been addressed. Brown - taking a flyer on a 4th round pick on a fast guy. Risk/reward if he worked out. Kouandjio - taking a flyer on a guy who fell from the 1st round due to medical concerns. Risk/reward. Again, flyer, and one does wonder how good the Bills medical staff is at scouting (Williams again). But Williams was a straight out head-scratcher.

Mario is likely cut after June 1st

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/buffalo-bills/

No. Any cap savings from releasing him won't be available until June 1st then and it moves dead money into the 2017 season, pretty much negating any benefit from cutting him.

Bandit, Jason is the founder of OTC. He was asked on Twitter and likely responded according to this, which shows the teams with the lowest cap space as Saints, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Ravens. Cowboys.

So when asked about the teams with the worst job at managing the cap, he seems to have for the most part named teams with low cap space: "Other than Saints and Detroit, I'd say Miami, Bills, maybe Ravens."

The curious choice on that list is Detroit. Per his website Overthecap, Detroit comes after the Steelers, Redskins, and Jets for cap space, with $20M which is not bad. They also have a very low amount of dead money, $0.3M. So I'm not at all sure of his rationale there.

The omission on that list is the Patriots. I assume the rationale is that they're spending their money wisely since it's bringing them playoffs year after year.

It's understandable IMO that Bills are on the list of "poor cap managers". We are one of 2 teams who show as "over the cap" with a negative amount of cap space right now. It also doesn't help that we're still carrying $2.3M in "dead money". We are, however, about 8th on the list for amount of dead money, and in our case, it pretty much reflects a single bad signing (Chris Williams).

When people here tout Doug Whaley's mistakes, a curious omission from the list is Chris Williams. EJ Manuel may or may not be Whaley's mistake: from everything that was said, NIx (still GM) was insistent on drafting a QB before he stepped down as GM and EJ was the QB they consensus felt was best in that year. 1st round QB have a 50% miss rate and if it's true that the Bills went into the draft determined to draft a QB, Well. It's not like there's a Russ Wilson in that draft who was drafted later and lighting up the league that we missed on.

Chris Williams is the mystery of the Bills. What did they see in him? Why did they give him that contract? He's clear and away the biggest failure of Whaley's tenure as GM, bar none. The Director of Pro Personnel when Williams was signed, Tom Gibbons, got the ax after the season, and smart money might guess Williams is one reason why. We can only hope the failure in offensive pro scouting has been addressed. Brown - taking a flyer on a 4th round pick on a fast guy. Risk/reward if he worked out. Kouandjio - taking a flyer on a guy who fell from the 1st round due to medical concerns. Risk/reward. Again, flyer, and one does wonder how good the Bills medical staff is at scouting (Williams again). But Williams was a straight out head-scratcher.

The only thing I would say regarding the Bills is that we have little cap room, but have 53 players signed to the roster. When we release Mario we will be $12 million under the cap with 52 guys signed. The Saints, Dolphins, Ravens, Steelers, Jets, and Lions will all be around the same free space figure with roughly 40 guys signed.

I don't think we have been great at managing the cap, but we are not in situations like the Saints or Dolphins.