2016 Draft LB thread

Beerball

will be interesting to see where he goes in the draft. Could be a Preston Brown type? Or do you think 3rd is too high?

I'm going to compare his Combine numbers to Brown and probably Denzel Perryman to get a feel for his testing numbers. I don't see why he needs to be as big as he was in Mobile, trimming down to 240-245 is plenty of bulk (same with Ragland). His 3-cone will be the biggest drill for me, Preston was big/slow but had a sub 7 second 3-cone (78th percentile at 9lbs above 'average' weight).

I think 3rd round would be fine because I think he could be an eventual starter. Has the athletic profile on tape to play ST roles as a rookie so he can stay on the 46-man game day roster.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to compare his Combine numbers to Brown and probably Denzel Perryman to get a feel for his testing numbers. I don't see why he needs to be as big as he was in Mobile, trimming down to 240-245 is plenty of bulk (same with Ragland). His 3-cone will be the biggest drill for me, Preston was big/slow but had a sub 7 second 3-cone (78th percentile at 9lbs above 'average' weight).

I think 3rd round would be fine because I think he could be an eventual starter. Has the athletic profile on tape to play ST roles as a rookie so he can stay on the 46-man game day roster.

perryman really came in late in the season for SD last year. He totally outplayed Donald butler and could lead to him getting cut. If the 3rd rolls around and we haven't taken a LB yet I'd like to take a shot on Perry. Edited by YoloinOhio

perryman really came in late in the season for SD last year. He totally outplayed Donald butler and could lead to him getting cut. If the 3rd rolls around and we haven't taken a LB yet I'd like to take a shot on Perry.

I think Perry is less instinctive than Perryman which hurts but they should have similar times despite a 15 pound weight disparity.

Denzel was a mid 2nd pick so he might end up in a similar range but there's so much talent in that range, it's feasible that some guys pegged in the 2nd last until the mid 3rd. Not a lot of stud players in the class but the Day 2 depth is kinda staggering.

I did make the effort to include the Lott trophy nomination. I have listened to you when you've spoke about his character so I thought it was only fair to include it. God knows I give out enough flack to those with character concerns.

I don't love him as a player but I still like him. Will be firmly behind Jack, Smith, Ragland, Brothers & Martinez in my ILB rankings but I think there's something to work with there.

Our LB guy doesn't even have Perry on the list as an ILB. He's our 11th-ranked OLB34.

But high character.

@MRidenourABJ

#NotreDame LB Jaylon Smith said knee has no nerve damage. Torn ACL, LCL

@RapSheet

Difficult day for #NotreDame LB Jaylon Smith, who had his medicals. Ankle & knee nerve issues, teams believe he's out for 2016 -- at least

What team is going to go with the McGahee like pick for Smith in the 1st round?

Out for rookie year?

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports multiple NFL teams believe Notre Dame linebacker prospect Jaylon Smith, who is coming off knee surgery, will miss the entire 2016 season.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

So, now what happens with Smith? Does some team scoop him up in the 4th round and stash him away for a year or two? I hope it's us. Sean Spence has become a good player for the Steelers, and his injury appears to have been similar. And IMO the Bills made a huge blunder not drafting La'el Collins with one of their late round picks last year - he's on his way to becoming an All Pro guard with the Cowboys. My point is, after Round 3, the risk is worth it. The Bills have to get out of their own way a bit and take the long view. They don't need another Jonathan Meeks in Round 6. Take a gamble on a guy with a tremendous upside.

So, now what happens with Smith? Does some team scoop him up in the 4th round and stash him away for a year or two? I hope it's us. Sean Spence has become a good player for the Steelers, and his injury appears to have been similar. And IMO the Bills made a huge blunder not drafting La'el Collins with one of their late round picks last year - he's on his way to becoming an All Pro guard with the Cowboys. My point is, after Round 3, the risk is worth it. The Bills have to get out of their own way a bit and take the long view. They don't need another Jonathan Meeks in Round 6. Take a gamble on a guy with a tremendous upside.

Some team will draft him no later than the 2nd round.

Really good interview with Smith. He's a really intelligent guy with great character. I hope he makes it back to 100% health to have a full career.

@KimJonesSports

Jaylon Smith tells me he thinks he's the best player in draft, he just can't show it right now. Interview coming up on @nflnetwork #Combine

@RapSheet

Ian Rapoport Retweeted Kimberly Jones

Teams say he's been incredible professional handling a difficult injury

@NFL_CFB

.@MikeMayock talked to 5 different teams about Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith, and every team's told him "it's bad" on the knee.

@NFL_CFB

#NFLCombine not over yet, but Noah Spence shaping up to be one of its losers --> http://bit.ly/1QlN82m

CcUoSWYXIAE61dM.jpg

@KimJonesSports

Jaylon Smith to @NFLNetwork: "One thing we do know is I'll be 100 percent again. We just don't know when." #Combine

@NFL_CFB

#NFLCombine not over yet, but Noah Spence shaping up to be one of its losers --> http://bit.ly/1QlN82m

CcUoSWYXIAE61dM.jpg

Good, maybe he falls

He's a wildcard given the character concerns.

@NFL_CFB

Each team told @MikeMayock, "what a great kid, but what a shame." Smith suffered the knee injury in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Ohio State.

@NFL

.@OhioStAthletics' @DLeeMG8: 11' 1" broad jump. 1f44f.png1f44f.png1f44f.png

OblongLikableKiskadee.gif

Wow! Impressive!