2016 Draft QB thread

Beerball

Don't want a backup, want a franchise QB that can take over in a couple yrs

Yes I know you do. But if the Bills think they already have that guy (not saying I think they do) then picking a guy who could be a solid backup is not a wasted pick. It was the "wasted pick" I was disputing. If they pick one of those guys hoping for a franchise QB then sure.... it is a wasted pick. Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re-watching Connor Cook vs Alabama. He started off so well, first 10 passes were 7 accurate targets, 2 PI calls and a throw away on a busted play. Missed one easy target and he started to come undone a bit. One bad pass brought three. Shook it off, came back with a couple of money throws and then threw the pick. Nothing different than any other Cook game, he just tried to confirm his first read and convinced himself it was on.

If you want to bash him for choking in a big game, watch the Iowa game. Dude was BAAAAD.

After 3 games in 2013 (OSU, Minnesota, Stanford) and 6 games in 2014 (Nebraska, Baylor, OSU, Purdue, PSU, JSU), I had Cook as 66.5% accurate.

Adding in WMU, Oregon, PSU, Iowa, Alabama from 2015, Cook is 66.5% accurate.

He's nothing if not consistent. For comparison sake, Wentz and Goff are hovering around the 80% mark.

. For comparison sake, Wentz and Goff are hovering around the 80% mark.

I've not seen enough of Wentz to make that comparison - but I will repeat what has been said against Goff - Cook is less consistently accurate but on a higher degree of difficulty of throws. I ultimately accept Goff is a safer pick. Cook at #19 would be a projection - I totally accept that - based on the good bits and thinking you can work out the kinks. His talent alone makes him at worst a 2nd round pick for me. If he gets to us in round 2 we should sprint to the podium. I'd even consider getting up for him in the second if he makes it past the first 5 or 6 picks.

Re-watching Connor Cook vs Alabama. He started off so well, first 10 passes were 7 accurate targets, 2 PI calls and a throw away on a busted play. Missed one easy target and he started to come undone a bit. One bad pass brought three. Shook it off, came back with a couple of money throws and then threw the pick. Nothing different than any other Cook game, he just tried to confirm his first read and convinced himself it was on.

If you want to bash him for choking in a big game, watch the Iowa game. Dude was BAAAAD.

do you think it was the shoulder, or just a poor performance?

I've not seen enough of Wentz to make that comparison - but I will repeat what has been said against Goff - Cook is less consistently accurate but on a higher degree of difficulty of throws. I ultimately accept Goff is a safer pick. Cook at #19 would be a projection - I totally accept that - based on the good bits and thinking you can work out the kinks. His talent alone makes him at worst a 2nd round pick for me. If he gets to us in round 2 we should sprint to the podium. I'd even consider getting up for him in the second if he makes it past the first 5 or 6 picks.

I'll admit to being torn on Cook. There's some things about him that I love and some that I hate. There's no middle ground for me.

On his good days, he's like the love child of Matt Stafford and Brett Favre. He knows he's got a good arm and he's damned if he's letting a defender get in the way of him showing it off. I think his placement is a bit sketchy but he wants to push the ball down the field. If his decision making was better on when to do it, I'd probably have a 1st round grade on him.

Problem is that his bad play makes him look like the love child of Jay Cutler and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Those inexplicable boneheaded moments where you can almost see his brain oozing out of his ears. Unfortunately for Connor, they come at the worst moments and in the biggest games. The INT vs Iowa this year, the pick-6 vs Stanford in 2013, the INT at the end of the semifinal vs Bama. All decisions that are made when he gets frantic.

For a QB who is so mentally switched on in terms of progressions and anticipation, it's maddening to see him struggle with other aspects of the mental game. I've not seen him improve in those areas in 3 years so I'm not convinced that you can fix him now.

For a fan base that wants rid of EJ for the Wembley debacle, I don't see how many are happy with the idea of Cook. At his worst, that quick stretch at Wembley could happen to him too.

do you think it was the shoulder, or just a poor performance?

The shoulder is obviously not going to help but it was more mental errors. The pick he threw in the grasp of the defender. Taking a sack that took them out of FG range for Geiger (thrown away, the kick is from 47 - his season long. Missed from 52) when he could've just thrown it away because he was outside the pocket.

I'll admit to being torn on Cook. There's some things about him that I love and some that I hate. There's no middle ground for me.

On his good days, he's like the love child of Matt Stafford and Brett Favre. He knows he's got a good arm and he's damned if he's letting a defender get in the way of him showing it off. I think his placement is a bit sketchy but he wants to push the ball down the field. If his decision making was better on when to do it, I'd probably have a 1st round grade on him.

Problem is that his bad play makes him look like the love child of Jay Cutler and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Those inexplicable boneheaded moments where you can almost see his brain oozing out of his ears. Unfortunately for Connor, they come at the worst moments and in the biggest games. The INT vs Iowa this year, the pick-6 vs Stanford in 2013, the INT at the end of the semifinal vs Bama. All decisions that are made when he gets frantic.

For a QB who is so mentally switched on in terms of progressions and anticipation, it's maddening to see him struggle with other aspects of the mental game. I've not seen him improve in those areas in 3 years so I'm not convinced that you can fix him now.

For a fan base that wants rid of EJ for the Wembley debacle, I don't see how many are happy with the idea of Cook. At his worst, that quick stretch at Wembley could happen to him too.

The shoulder is obviously not going to help but it was more mental errors. The pick he threw in the grasp of the defender. Taking a sack that took them out of FG range for Geiger (thrown away, the kick is from 47 - his season long. Missed from 52) when he could've just thrown it away because he was outside the pocket.

i remember those plays. If I recall, he also made a bad decision at the end of the Nebraska game that took away a last play to potentially win.

with a injured throwing shoulder

I'm going to regret this at some point but I'm warming up to the idea of Cardale Jones.

He's such a wildcard given the lack of experience and the fact that he doesn't fit some of the stuff Urban had him doing this year (particularly the option). There's just something fundamentally exciting about him.

Good read on Cardale Jones. Discusses the very real issue of playing in Urban's system and transitioning to the NFL - which is why he is a project. But one worth taking and developing for a team who has a starter in place.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2612792-why-cardale-jones-shouldnt-be-the-forgotten-quarterback-of-the-2016-class?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=BR_OSUBuckeyes&utm_source=twitter.com?is_shared=true

I actually think the top 4 Quarterbacks are a little reminiscent of the 2014 class for me...

Wentz is the Bortles esque late riser with the size and the arm....

Goff is the Bridgewater high floor guy who looks smooth and comfortable.... Though maybe his ceiling is higher....

Lynch is the very risky project who has a lot to learn for me at the NFL level - see Manziel

Cook is the Carr - a bit up and down in college and certainly more of a gamble but if he adjusts he could be a franchise guy.

I said in that draft I'd have done exactly what the Jags did and rolled the dice on the guy I thought had the best chance to not just be a Franchise guy but to be elite (I still think that is Bortles by the way). Wouldn't surprise me if it ended up like that class - three guys who are at least established solid starters after 2 years and one who is all but out of the league. I don't think any of the 2014 guys were Winston or Mariota and nor are this class but you can find a franchise quarterback in this draft I have no doubt.

I agree and that is why it is hard to balance him up against Goff. The scheme Cal ran was about giving him a lot of quick, easier, timing throws. Cook was asked to sit back there read defenses and make really tough throws regularly. I am instinctively a fan and I would still be severely tempted at 19. Even though I know it is a bit of a projection.

I'd ask you guys to check out some of Cardale's work on youtube... Particularly the games against Alabama, and Oregon... I'd be shocked if Hue Jackson didn't pull the trigger on this kid.... -One of the BEST QB prospects in this draft... More talent than Tyrod ever showed in four years at Va Tech... Could be a phenom with the right coaching staff.

Edited by #34fan

I'd ask you guys to check out some of Cardale's work on youtube... Particularly the games against Alabama, and Oregon... I'd be shocked if Hue Jackson didn't pull the trigger on this kid.... -One of the BEST QB prospects in this draft... More talent than Tyrod ever showed in four years at Va Tech... Could be a phenom with the right coaching staff.

This is my favourite Cardale piece I've read. It was written before the 2015 season about that 3 game stint on the way to a National title. I think it's pretty fair and I'm not necessarily pro or anti-Cardale. I think, to a large degree, he's the same player now as when the piece was written.

http://www.footballsavages.com/cardale-jones-and-accepting-the-role-of-an-offense-in-evaluation/

Edited by Blokestradamus

This is my favourite Cardale piece I've read. It was written before the 2015 season about that 3 game stint on the way to a National title. I think it's pretty fair and I'm not necessarily pro or anti-Cardale. I think, to a large degree, he's the same player now as when the piece was written.

http://www.footballsavages.com/cardale-jones-and-accepting-the-role-of-an-offense-in-evaluation/

Thanks for the read! I think the kid who wrote this piece is doing his best to sound analyitical, and balanced. It's a well-written, albeit short-sighted assessment of Cardale Jone's abilities... Examining the plays cited by this author only served to cement my belief that Jones is a top QB talent in this draft... What he considers a missed opportunity, I see as an example of Jone's intelligence in "settting-up" the defense...

The Bama D has absolutely ZERO idea what he's going to do with that ball.... When he does it, (run or pass) it's executed with such speed and precision, that they literally have no opportunity to stop it... As far as Jone's not being able to "fit the ball" into a space, I would again refer you to both playoff games... For a third-stringer, he posseseed amazing chemistry with those receivers... And was absolutely fearless when it came time to throw downfield.... If you get a chance to watch the game on youtube, I think you'll see what I'm saying... Is there room for growth? -Absolutely... But If Hue Jackson could squeeze 8 wins out of banged-up, worn-out Jason Campbell, I shudder to think of what's possible for him and Cardale... Championships in the making? -I definitely get that impression.

Edited by #34fan

I've wanted Cardale in our QB room for awhile now. He's the size of Cam newton and his arm is outrageous. I think Roman's offense is perfect for him. If I had to compare him to a current NFL QB in terms of style, it's probably Roethlisberger.

He's a guy who needs a year or two, because he's not polished, but he's going to get drafted higher than many think. He can run over DTs and throw it 80 yards. He has performed his best in the biggest games. I am excited for TT as our QB but a guy like this is the perfect developmental guy IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I've wanted Cardale in our QB room for awhile now. He's the size of Cam newton and his arm is outrageous. I think Roman's offense is perfect for him. If I had to compare him to a current NFL QB in terms of style, it's probably Roethlisberger.

He's a guy who needs a year or two, because he's not polished, but he's going to get drafted higher than many think. He can run over DTs and throw it 80 yards. He has performed his best in the biggest games. I am excited for TT as our QB but a guy like this is the perfect developmental guy IMO.

You've touched on my single greatest worry in drafting a new QB... Greg Roman's offense looked really bad at times last season... And I don't mean "bad" like regular "bad"... I mean "bad" like he had zero clue what the Sam Hill he was doing with the talent we had... Seemed like we called alot of passes on third and short... Very deflating for a young QB when those don't pan out... Our Blocking was also downright horrendous at various intervals in the season... I was actually hoping we'd dump Roman in the OS and pick up Pep Hamilton.... Despite being fired in '15, His offenses won 11 games and made the playoffs in both '13, and '14....

No Cardale and no to dumping Roman for Pep Hamilton. Roman might not be the greatest pass game coordinator but he is a great run game coordinator. Pep Hamilton coordinated an offense thar couldn't run and a scheme where almost every pass play seemed to rely on Luck extending the play and playing school yard footall. Hamilton sucks in my view and as soon as Luck got hurt you saw how bad his offense really is.

I also promise you this - Cardale will not be Hue Jackson's pick at #2.

No Cardale and no to dumping Roman for Pep Hamilton. Roman might not be the greatest pass game coordinator but he is a great run game coordinator. Pep Hamilton coordinated an offense thar couldn't run and a scheme where almost every pass play seemed to rely on Luck extending the play and playing school yard footall. Hamilton sucks in my view and as soon as Luck got hurt you saw how bad his offense really is.

I also promise you this - Cardale will not be Hue Jackson's pick at #2.

I like Hue Jackson alot... He's a very sharp offensive mind, and an excellent coach overall... Hue Jackson knows the Browns go NOWHERE without a legit starting QB... He knows it is the single greatest deficiency the Browns have on their roster... I don't claim to know for sure what they'll do at #2. I don't know if it's Hue's pick to make, or, for that mattter, if they'll end up keepng the pick it at all. My sincere belief is that the Browns will make an attempt to grab Cardale Jones, at some point early in this draft.

As for Pep Hamilton, I think there's a chance that Luck is not t who or what everyone made him up to be coming out of college... In my opinion, he started the season at less than 100%. -Far less.... The Colts missing the playoffs, while disappointing, can be mitigated in part by the fact that without Luck, they're one of the oldest offenses in the league at skill positions.

Lastly, if Greg Roman runs this same offense next year, we won't win 6 games... The formula for beating us has to be harder than: Stop the run, Shut down Sammy, and spy on Tyrod... If it isn't, we're boned, per usual.