12-29: Doug Whaley on WGR

26CornerBlitz

Interesting, well said. I feel the same way.

I think it might come down to "Methinks the 'laddie' doth protest too much"

Overall I think Whaley tries to be informative and a straight shooter. I think he was honest when he talked about the challenges of trying to resign Glenn, Incognito, and other key pieces. He was honest when he was giving his evaluation of Tyrod Taylor.

I'm one who believes that the media is fluffing up some disgruntled "deep throat" there at OBD to come up with this stuff about "rogue" and "conflict". But somehow the part about Rex, Roman, and the Pegulas was just a bit overdone to me.

Edited by Hopeful

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the context of 16 seasons without making the playoffs and spending as much as we did last offseason on free agents and to sign our own players, this season was a disaster, not a disappointment.

we didnt sign guys for one year...save the 16 years thing for guys who have been with Buffalo for 16 years. Whaley and Rex have not

loved how he corrected qb guru Jeremy on what the easiest throws in the NFL are. He had the ego hurt and Howie had to take over

I think it might come down to "Methinks the 'laddie' doth protest too much"

Overall I think Whaley tries to be informative and a straight shooter. I think he was honest when he talked about the challenges of trying to resign Glenn, Incognito, and other key pieces. He was honest when he was giving his evaluation of Tyrod Taylor.

I'm one who believes that the media is fluffing up some disgruntled "deep throat" there at OBD to come up with this stuff about "rogue" and "conflict". But somehow the part about Rex, Roman, and the Pegulas was just a bit overdone to me.

Comparing TT to EJ is apples/oranges.

TT did not cost the team a first rounder and even less $$.

TT is better than EJ - hence winning the true QB competition - but he isn't a SB QB - yet.

Not continuing to look for a back-up/successor/franchise QB would be silly but TT at QB for 2016 looks to most objective fans as the least of the 2016 worries as the Bills lick their 2015 wounds. Dude showed up better than 99 % of fans thought. I'm in the 1% that knew he would ball out and was disappointed in the lack of clutch plays at the end of games. He's better than that and I've seen it...We will again in 2016.

I get what you are saying, but we fans have become so accustomed to failure that we are suckers to buy into the 'wait until next season' syndrome. At what point, do we call BS on these tactics and wait until the results match the words and hype ? Sorry I am a little negative these days but over the last decade, I have gone from being a cheerleader to cautious optimism to cynicism. The words 'show me the baby' make me cringe because they were a great sound bite but meant little. All these statements and positive words from Whaley sound hollow. I don't see how this mess gets fixed.

Put this season in perspective, most believed we have enough talent to make the playoffs and sneak a win or two. And now we are left defending how Whaley has a lot of work to do with the roster.

It really does come down to accountability and this GM now going into his fourth offseason. This year's defensive roster was supposedly the best Ryan has ever had to work with and yet to see the team regress because of the defense. Whaley could have pulled some slugs off the waiver wire at DE-DT on the cheap to play gap control all year and traded away those pass rushers not needed. If the GM & HC are in lockstep then why didn't the team obtain better linebackers to run Ryan's scheme?

Bills fans hearing all the bravado, the big talk of playoffs before the season, during the season and here we are left with empty promises just like the NY Jets fans. A 4-12 HC took a playoff caliber team and made them mediocre.

All I've got to say is I'm patiently waiting to see what these new owners do this offseason. They listened to Brandon-Whaley on hiring Ryan and allowed Brandon to sign the guy for 5 years at 5 mill per. Whaley giving LeSean McCoy 40 million over 5 years when RB's are supposedly a dime a dozen. Ryan was the one who vouched for Incognito and asked to sign Tyrod. Now do they keep Mario or dump the 100 million dollars DE? Do they keep a head coach that ruined a top defense because the players on the roster didn't fit his scheme, and now need to retool the entire front seven?

All I've got to say is I'm patiently waiting to see what these new owners do this offseason. They listened to Brandon-Whaley on hiring Ryan and allowed Brandon to sign the guy for 5 years at 5 mill per. Whaley giving LeSean McCoy 40 million over 5 years when RB's are supposedly a dime a dozen. Ryan was the one who vouched for Incognito and asked to sign Tyrod. Now do they keep Mario or dump the 100 million dollars DE? Do they keep a head coach that ruined a top defense because the players on the roster didn't fit his scheme, and now need to retool the entire front seven?

All we can do is wait. But as for Brandon, no matter how this season turned out, didn't last season's moves result in high season ticket sales ? I think the Bills had a successful financial season, something that Russ continues to deliver year in and year out. Ultimately, IMHO, that is the power he wields. I think this offseason will be marked with one or two eye popping moves (just an example - trade for Brees/Rivers), which will get the fan base excited and buying season tickets again. Trick is to see through those marketing moves and really evaluate whether they will help the team get to the playoffs.

Despite Marrone's weird methods, the team seemed to be going in a good direction. It appeared that with the addition of a couple of pieces, we would surely make the playoffs. Yet, here we are. For now, I will not be hopeful but will wish for the best.

All we can do is wait. But as for Brandon, no matter how this season turned out, didn't last season's moves result in high season ticket sales ? I think the Bills had a successful financial season, something that Russ continues to deliver year in and year out. Ultimately, IMHO, that is the power he wields. I think this offseason will be marked with one or two eye popping moves (just an example - trade for Brees/Rivers), which will get the fan base excited and buying season tickets again. Trick is to see through those marketing moves and really evaluate whether they will help the team get to the playoffs.

Despite Marrone's weird methods, the team seemed to be going in a good direction. It appeared that with the addition of a couple of pieces, we would surely make the playoffs. Yet, here we are. For now, I will not be hopeful but will wish for the best.

But didn't everything that drove those ticket sales (new owner, Rex, free agency, Shady trade) happen outside of Brandon's control? I'm sure he loves getting the credit but frankly season tickets sold themselves in 2015. There will be a drop next year.

Watched nearly all of OSU games the last two years (my daughter's a new Buckeye and big fan) Jones was decent last year under limited duty - he's been generally terrible this year.

There's a reason he was passed over twice for a younger player. Doesn't have an NFL brain - not a reference to his IQ, for all I know he's a genius - it's about speed to process, and Jones makes a lot of mistakes if the opposition puts up much challenge.

While I can see how you would come to that conclusion (believe me, I had similar thoughts)... I don't believe after talking with some folks who know more about it that he does have the NFL brain to process. For all I know - you may be right - but that's not the word from the S&G. He's a better fit in the NFL as opposed to playing in 'this' OSU offense. The effort to put him in a position to succeed faded considerably once they had the option to play Barrett, who runs a college offense flawlessly. I use the word "considerably" in the kindest way possible. Barrett is Meyer's hand picked guy, he is very stubborn, it shows all the time. He wants to run the QB. And run him, and run him. Then run him some more. Drawing up deep passes for the pro style QB - ehhhh not so much. Urban trusts two people. Himself and JT.

So... Cardale is a bit of an enigma still. But I don't believe the ability to process the defense quickly is the issue. He has shown that he can. He needs a development in the NFL, but put him with a Bruce Arians type for a couple years and I think you have a NFL QB.

What did you expect Whaley to say?

"Each of the past 16 years are all my fault regardless of whether I was here or not. Please banish me now"

@TyDunne

BN Blog: GM Doug Whaley tells @WGR550 season a 'disappointment,' not a 'disaster.' Talks Rex, Tyrod, much more: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/29/248208/

That's a start, but obviously doesn't go far enough for some of the jamokes here. They want him to commit seppuku on NFL Live and won't be satisfied with anything less than that. :wallbash:

Watch Mario get Jettisoned like a 1000 lb bomb on ISIS

Bomb bay doors open. Target aquired. Target locked.

That's a start, but obviously doesn't go far enough for some of the jamokes here. They want him to commit seppuku on NFL Live and won't be satisfied with anything less than that. :wallbash:

what might satisfy a reasonable Fan like your self ?

Seems to me OBD is playing this as well as they they can. Including Terry P's quotes that came out today.

Rex is saying some of the right things too.

Maybe he Can learn ?

Its all talk for now of course. I have remained in the camp of keeping the band together in general. Whaley Rex Roman and maybe Thurman...

Where does it land?

Seems to me OBD is playing this as well as they they can. Including Terry P's quotes that came out today.

Maybe he Can learn ?

Its all talk for now of course. I have remained in the camp of keeping the band together in general. Whaley Rex Roman and maybe Thurman...

Where does it land?

Maybe he Can learn ?

I dont know where it lands. But its gonna leave a mark, HA !

Happy New years Folks : )