Deactivate Mario??

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He dropped back once against Washington--once. And it was a screen play in which his dropback screwed up the play. He doesn't drop back much at all, and Yolo has the stats to back it up.

Did you read the entire post you answered? Or, are you trying to make some abstract point, or win a non-existent argument?

Post #61 explains things pretty well imo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I don't think we're understanding each other, or that you're understanding me.

I agree with you with what I understand.

Spikes in this system, though, I do not see him contributing like we would hope. I see him being a liability. Partially without Kyle Williams in there and due to the fact that Dareus doesn't swallow space I see OL beating our DL and eating Spikes alive. I am 50/50 on what would result.

Spikes would take up blockers and free up other LB's to make the tackle with the S.

or

Spikes would defeat the blockers and attack the ball consistently actually contributing more than he did last year due to a more consistent and less pressuring system. He would likely be in the backfield more, as part of this. He would have some free reign.

I tend to believe the first part. I think it would be better this way, not to mention he would be calling plays and making decisions on the field.

Then why so much harangue on Rex's scheme when he's missing a key ingredient for his defense?

I'll ask again, how good would Schwartz's defense look if you substituted Brown or Bradham in Spikes' slot? I say it would have been awful, not just mediocre.

It happened to Revis 3 times.

And he signed a monster contract every year and teams (minus the Bucs) got better almost immediately.

I won't excuse his lack of effort. And as terrible of a job Rex did with this team this year, I don't want him fired after one year. But IMO, an elite defensive player like Mario was only a year ago is a lot more important to this franchise than Rex Ryan.

Then why so much harangue on Rex's scheme when he's missing a key ingredient for his defense?

I'll ask again, how good would Schwartz's defense look if you substituted Brown or Bradham in Spikes' slot? I say it would have been awful, not just mediocre.

It would definitely be awful.

Rex's defense is missing key pieces AND key elements that we had last year: Aaron Williams, Kyle Williams and Brandon Spikes. Also, DaNorris Searcy is gone, too.

Utter baloney. The absence of Spikes is the reason this defense is so pedestrian.

Losing Spikes matters, but if he is SO great, if he is THAT much of a superstar, where is he now? Why didn't he catch on somewhere?

Having players like Dareus, etc. in pass coverage is the football equivalent of asking Babe Ruth to bunt on a consistent basis.

Rex is the main problem on this team, not losing Spikes.

Jmo. ;)

Losing Spikes matters, but if he is SO great, if he is THAT much of a superstar, where is he now? Why didn't he catch on somewhere?

Having players like Dareus, etc. in pass coverage is the football equivalent of asking Babe Ruth to bunt on a consistent basis.

Jmo. ;)

Good point. Spikes has always been a two down LB in a three down league.

GO BILLS!!!

Jmo. ;)

If memory serves me right he resigned with the greatest coach in this generation. Then he had his stupid moment off the field.

Watch last year's games and this year's games and tell me whether the issue is the DL dropping into coverage on <5% of the plays,or that Rex is scared *&less about the gaping middle that teams would attack with Brown & Bradham in the middle. What do you think Andy Reid did to start his comeback vs Bills?

Why did the Bills defense give up a ton of yards in 2013 despite having the same all world DL? The defense ranked 10th because no one needed to pass against such a porous run D.

People really need to put the 2014 defense into proper perspective of a flash in the pan that wouldn't have come close to repeating this year

If memory serves me right he resigned with the greatest coach in this generation. Then he had his stupid moment off the field.

Watch last year's games and this year's games and tell me whether the issue is the DL dropping into coverage on <5% of the plays,or that Rex is scared *&less about the gaping middle that teams would attack with Brown & Bradham in the middle. What do you think Andy Reid did to start his comeback vs Bills?

Why did the Bills defense give up a ton of yards in 2013 despite having the same all world DL? The defense ranked 10th because no one needed to pass against such a porous run D.

People really need to put the 2014 defense into proper perspective of a flash in the pan that wouldn't have come close to repeating this year

That and the reality that Kyle Williams matters a lot to this team.

Even if anyone argues he is overrated (he likely is to a degree) the fact that he is top 8 in his position on a unit with others of highly capable ability means that everyone benefits.

Our 2014 defense was a flash in the pan that should have at least sustained some continuance. Injuries did hurt. Losing Searcy hurt. Losing Spikes hurt more. Rex being inept hurt most.

Did you read the entire post you answered? Or, are you trying to make some abstract point, or win a non-existent argument?

Post #61 explains things pretty well imo.

I don't believe that he's ever trying to hold the edge in pass rushing situations, if that's what you're getting at. The goal is to get tot the passer, but that of course requires effort and inspired improvisation. The proof is in what happens on the other side -- Jerry Hughes brings it every play even if he doesn't get there. Mario plays the exact same position as Wilkerson did in Rex's scheme, and here's how Wilkerson performed in 2013: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/05/21/missed-the-list-muhammad-wilkerson/. He dominated as a rusher in 2013, with tons of pressures to go along with the sacks (he missed a chunk of 2014 because of injury). For that reason, I don't agree with post #61.

The point is, when someone is playing like a dog, I wouldn't presume it's by design. Sometimes they're just playing badly. That's what going on with regard to Williams this season.

You make some good points and I wish we were having this conversation I person. :)

Brother, the 2013 and 2014 teams didn't have the offense we now have. There was no Tyrod. We had Orton and yes, EJ Manuel. We didn't have Shady or my man Karlos. We had CJ Spiller. This matters to GG. Did we have less TOP? Was the defense under more pressure? Were those schedules tougher?

My point is that while Spikes surely was a factor, Rex is killing us. Hey, jmo.

Btw, if you are really all that concerned about MLB, watch or tape the Crimson Tide on 12/31, and keep your eye on #19, Reggie Ragland. Also check out Reuben Foster. These are monster linebackers. Flat out monsters.

Unfortunately, the tape shows Mario "setting the edge" (cough) by allowing the runner to run right past his face and take the outside for huge gains. If that is what he is being asked to do, then he isn't very good at it.

LOL! But what about all those tackles he makes?? At least Kelsay made the occasional tackle.

Edited by dave mcbride

At least Kelsay made the occasional tackle.

Kelsay also provided SOME pressure (even though he was almost always 1 step too late). Talent was his problem, not lack of effort.

Hey, watching Mario makes me sick, but I will never think it is ok to bring a weak, Jauron type defense to a tough, blue collar town such as Buffalo.

Kelsay also provided SOME pressure (even though he was almost always 1 step too late). Talent was his problem, not lack of effort.

Hey, watching Mario makes me sick, but I will never think it is ok to bring a weak, Jauron type defense to a tough, blue collar town such as Buffalo.

Don't get me wrong, Bill - I'm not a fan of this defense. I do, however, think it can work. It needs players like Ngata, Suggs, and David Harris though. I think Hughes is Suggs like, and Manny Lawson has been playing well. Some of the key pieces are in place (e.g., the corners). We're stuck with Rex, so we may as well hope that he can find the pieces to make it work. Those pieces exist--it's just that Mario and Bradham aren't them. I think Brown will be better next year, by the way. A LOT was put on his plate because he basically had to call the defense, and with another year in it, he should improve. He's not a bad football player even if he had a poor season.

Edited by dave mcbride

Don't get me wrong, Bill - I'm not a fan of this defense. I do, however, think it can work. It needs players like Ngata, Suggs, and David Harris though. I think Hughes is Suggs like, and Manny Lawson has been playing well. Some of the key pieces are in place (e.g., the corners). We're stuck with Rex, so we may as well hope that he can find the pieces to make it work. Those pieces exist--it's just that Mario and Bradham aren't them. I think Brown will be better next year, by the way. A LOT was put on his plate because he basically had to call the defense, and with another year in it, he should improve. He's not a bad football player even if he had a poor season.

I stopped instantly and thought, gee, what idiot could not get a defense to work with 3 pro bowlers (Suggs, Ngata, Harris). ... but Rex is the idiot who could do it (Hughes, MWilliams, KWilliams).

I know our 3 haven't got us anywhere. But, I know Rex ain't got anywhere, either. I don't want to give up the farm now for the hope that Rex might be able to put a D together in 3 years.

Edited by Boyst62

I stopped instantly and thought, gee, what idiot could not get a defense to work with 3 pro bowlers (Suggs, Ngata, Harris). ... but Rex is the idiot who could do it (Hughes, MWilliams, KWilliams).

I know our 3 haven't got us anywhere. But, I know Rex ain't got anywhere, either. I don't want to give up the farm now for the hope that Rex might be able to put a D together in 3 years.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of his scheme this season, but it's in the past now. What gives me a little bit of hope is that the evidence is pretty clear from a 10-year span that Rex's defense works well provided he has the corners. The Bills have the corners (and the Jets didn't last year). This year was an anomaly given his past success, so hopefully we'll obtain the right pieces that can strengthen the unit so that it's top-10 again.

What about the fact that teams know they can exploit Rex's defense now by hurrying up to the line. I hate the idea of trying to tailor personnel for a defense that it seems the game has passed by, for a coach who likely will not be here for the long term. I also hate making some aging warrior the centerpiece of your defense just because he's the only person in the world who can understand it enough to make adjustments on the field. What happens when David Harris (or god forbid little Jimmy Leonhard) get hurt - or even more likely have their skills diminish to the point where physically they are a liability on the field despite their 'mastery' of the scheme (see Eddie Robinson)

What about the fact that teams know they can exploit Rex's defense now by hurrying up to the line. I hate the idea of trying to tailor personnel for a defense that it seems the game has passed by, for a coach who likely will not be here for the long term. I also hate making some aging warrior the centerpiece of your defense just because he's the only person in the world who can understand it enough to make adjustments on the field. What happens when David Harris (or god forbid little Jimmy Leonhard) get hurt - or even more likely have their skills diminish to the point where physically they are a liability on the field despite their 'mastery' of the scheme (see Eddie Robinson)

I think it has flaws, but like it or not we're stuck with Rex. Because of that, it's time to find people who can make it work. I am certain they exist, just as I am certain that Rex's defense can work given the right personnel.

We're substituting because we don't have 3 down linebackers. Maybe 1. And we have no real safeties with coverage skills. Add those 2 and we don't need to substitute all the time and can play hurry up with anyone.