Evaluating Bills key needs: FA and draft solutions

YoloinOhio

Part 1 - RT, ILB, NT

http://buildingtheherd.com/nfl-draft/evaluating-the-buffalo-bills-biggest-needs-with-potential-fits-from-free-agency-nfl-draft/

The Buffalo Bills have been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs for the 16th consecutive season, so its time to look at the 2016 NFL Free Agents in addition to starting my work on 2016 NFL Draft prospects. Here, well break down the biggest needs of the Buffalo Bills going forward, offering a free agent as well as a draft prospect that could potentially fill that need during the 2016 NFL Offseason.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I like their evaluations of need. If I had to rank it in order of importance, I'd say:

ILB

LT

DE

WR

QB

S

That doesn't necessarily correlate with how I believe players should be selected. For instance, just because DE isn't our highest need, doesn't mean you don't take one in the first round

I'm intrigued by the Cardinals (Deone Bucannon) use of a safety at linebacker. He covers tight ends and backs and has linebacker and safety skill set.

I've wondered whether this is what the Bills *should* be doing when thinking of upgrading that position.

I'm intrigued by the Cardinals (Deone Bucannon) use of a safety at linebacker. He covers tight ends and backs and has linebacker and safety skill set.

I've wondered whether this is what the Bills *should* be doing when thinking of upgrading that position.

Jeremy Cash from Duke has been compared to Buchanan

Another guy who is hybrid safety/LB is Sua Cravens from USC.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Absolutely. Their defense should be a model for ours. I think Corey Graham plays the honey badger roll. We need to find out Caleis Cambell (beast)!

ugh….we really are going to rebuild a 3-4, aren't we? #Nightmare.

This has always worked out really well for us.

i feel like all of the best bills defenses were 3-4. I know its more of a nickel now anyway. We play NE twice a year - they roll 2 TE and pass 40 times a game. The leagues weird now and you cant really say 3-4, 4-3 since you have a 3rd corner on the field more than half the game.

We do need safeties who can move though. Were constantly subbing them in and out, because none of them can do everything. In fact, several of them can do nothing well.

Part 2 - WR, 3-4 DE

http://buildingtheherd.com/nfl-draft/evaluating-the-bills-needs-part-2/

Hankerson was mentioned

I am not sure we need a 3-4 DE. Marcel can play that position no problem. KW is the question mark there, but I believe he can. We need a NT. Then let Jerry Hughes be a wild man, lining up all over the place, and just have him pin his ears back. 2 coverage LB's (maybe one?) and a big ol middle of the D MLB.

we wouldn't need the NT or the 3-54 DE if Rex just used the players to their strengths

This is a sad reality.

Jeremy Cash from Duke has been compared to Buchanan

Another guy who is hybrid safety/LB is Sua Cravens from USC.

FWIW, I've heard Collingsworth and Simms both say that is the new trend at the LB position and that the traditional, somewhat slow run thumping linebackers are obsolete. When you think of it, Urlacher was probably the first - I remember him being drafted as a safety who became a linebacker.

It's probably why a guy like Brandon Spikes remained unemployed this year, even when eligible. He's a linebacker built for the 1980s NFL. Can run stuff all day but can't cover.

i feel like all of the best bills defenses were 3-4. I know its more of a nickel now anyway. We play NE twice a year - they roll 2 TE and pass 40 times a game. The leagues weird now and you cant really say 3-4, 4-3 since you have a 3rd corner on the field more than half the game.

We do need safeties who can move though. Were constantly subbing them in and out, because none of them can do everything. In fact, several of them can do nothing well.

Sensibile explanation - a rare commodity here. Thanks!

I'm not against keeping Rex around for another year, but am against re-doing the roster to suit a one-trip pony coach.

I suppose maybe that's not a fair statement in that we have no idea what Rex was stating privately. Maybe it's just his style to publicly state how they'll be the #1 D to try and build up their confidence, but behind closed doors talking about what changes they'll need to make. But if he truly told both DW and Terry that he's make this cast of players the #1 ranked defense then hold him too it and lets not make another bunch of changes

Pundits would kill us for it but I would not hate going WR in round 1 or 2... a guy like LaQuon Treadwell makes this team entirely different. I'm not sure if WR or RT are the bigger needs on offense, they're both big, but I think people are still under-estimating this need and over-valuing our WR depth. Offense made big strides this year compared to last year but if the team wants to really get to the next level, it needs to keep gelling and needs more legitimate weapons. I maintain WR2 is as big a need as anything.

I don't think the defense will be quite as hard to fix as some people do. Get guys that fit the 3-4 scheme through FA and you'll have the Top 10 defense that Rex knows how to put together.

Pundits would kill us for it but I would not hate going WR in round 1 or 2... a guy like LaQuon Treadwell makes this team entirely different. I'm not sure if WR or RT are the bigger needs on offense, they're both big, but I think people are still under-estimating this need and over-valuing our WR depth. Offense made big strides this year compared to last year but if the team wants to really get to the next level, it needs to keep gelling and needs more legitimate weapons. I maintain WR2 is as big a need as anything.

I don't think the defense will be quite as hard to fix as some people do. Get guys that fit the 3-4 scheme through FA and you'll have the Top 10 defense that Rex knows how to put together.

Aside from Watkins all the Bills WR are slotted one spot above their ability.

I am not sure we need a 3-4 DE. Marcel can play that position no problem. KW is the question mark there, but I believe he can. We need a NT. Then let Jerry Hughes be a wild man, lining up all over the place, and just have him pin his ears back. 2 coverage LB's (maybe one?) and a big ol middle of the D MLB.

This is a sad reality.

Kyle Williams is the worst fit on the entire starting D for Rex's scheme.

I'm not certain they will release him but I do expect that they will.