Boobie reiterates what some of us knew...

The Big Cat

Rex lovers need to embrace some facts:

- Rex is credited as a defensive guru by many. The Ravens defense was consistently ranked higher on average for consecutive seasons BEFORE he became DC and after

- the jets defense was #1 Rex's first year, they then descended perpetually each year he was there to become a worse than 20th ranked defense

- he doesn't name or allow the players to name season long captains

- there is a history of leadership vacuums in his locker rooms on two different teams now as head coach

- he's widely identified as a players coach

- he's lost more than he's won as a head coach

What do these facts mean?

Rex is a bust. Players like him because they go to Dave and busters in lieu of game prep, and get extra days off on long weeks instead of extra practice to capitalize. Head coach IS by position THE team leader. The leader of the leaders. Every good NFL coach and even some marginal or bad ones cultivate leadership, as.. It's the freaking job. All this grumbling to the press is 100% because of this coach being bad at his job. The myth of his defensive prowess is a byproduct of his own ability to self promote and grandstand about 2 or 3 isolated successful seasons surrounded by numerous poor ones and bookended by more successful performances from both predeseccors and successors. The guy is a scham, he wrecked this defense, he wrecked the locker room, just as he methodically did in NY.. the pattern is undeniable and he will be the material cause for this new era of failure as long as he's around... But at least he will draw cameras and maximize the credit the team gets for their 4 wins next season

/rant

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex lovers need to embrace some facts:

- Rex is credited as a defensive guru by many. The Ravens defense was consistently ranked higher on average for consecutive seasons BEFORE he became DC and after

- the jets defense was #1 Rex's first year, they then descended perpetually each year he was there to become a worse than 20th ranked defense

- he doesn't name or allow the players to name season long captains

- there is a history of leadership vacuums in his locker rooms on two different teams now as head coach

- he's widely identified as a players coach

- he's lost more than he's won as a head coach

What do these facts mean?

Rex is a bust. Players like him because they go to Dave and busters in lieu of game prep, and get extra days off on long weeks instead of extra practice to capitalize. Head coach IS by position THE team leader. The leader of the leaders. Every good NFL coach and even some marginal or bad ones cultivate leadership, as.. It's the freaking job. All this grumbling to the press is 100% because of this coach being bad at his job. The myth of his defensive prowess is a byproduct of his own ability to self promote and grandstand about 2 or 3 isolated successful seasons surrounded by numerous poor ones and bookended by more successful performances from both predeseccors and successors. The guy is a scham, he wrecked this defense, he wrecked the locker room, just as he methodically did in NY.. the pattern is undeniable and he will be the material cause for this new era of failure as long as he's around... But at least he will draw cameras and maximize the credit the team gets for their 4 wins next season

/rant

Very well said sir...

Google it wax pencil eater.

This point seems to be completely ignored. Not to absolve Rex completely, but fans seem to cling to one data point (the defense performed better last year) while ignoring the equally persuasive point that Rex's defenses have consistently outperformed this one.

Personally, I attribute the decline to a number of factors - scheme fit, personnel changes, and injuries are all significant. But if this board has taught me anything it's that once fans have their scapegoat they're going to run with it and trying to disuade many or most of them is like trying to take a bone away from a rabid Rottweiler.

There are Bills fans here who straight up cross their arms and stomp their feet, plug their ears and scream LA LA LA LA LA when you bring up the fact that Rex has never not had a good, mostly great defense.

There are fans in this very thread who are flatly denying that reality.

Edited by The Big Cat

There are Bills fans here who straight up cross their arms and stomp their feet, plug their ears and scream LA LA LA LA LA when you bring up the fact that Rex has never not had a good, mostly great defense.

That is my most frustrating part of the this season. I just don't get it. His defenses has always been good. They upgraded lots of personnel from last year to this in NJ, but last years defensive starters were not good, and he got a lot out of them for the talent they had.

Willing to criticize athlete management (ie leadership, captains, accountability), not getting plays in on both sides of the ball, penalties/discipline. These are things that come with Rex, but they also come with a tough strong defense. I am just so baffled as to where that is.

As I type this, I posted about how my junior athletes handle things and approach their sport (rowing). I realized, I imply the need for a lot of accountability (can't preach, it becomes ingenuine and can create rifts on roster), and have for years. Success breeds success, my hard working athletes know this. It isn't me that makes those, who give half effort, feel uncomfortable or even unwelcome, it is the athletes that are putting in all the work and extra. While Rex needs to set the tone, that feeling has to be inbred already in professional athletes. You know who needed to instill work ethic and drive at the Olympic Training Center....NOBODY,we got coached, we wanted to be better so it was always up to us to get better. Professional money sports should be the same. Rex is responsible for giving out the directive, it is up to the players to follow through. Maybe because my sport wasn't riddled with cash, and we all worked while we trained full time, so obviously the desire was there already, but professional athletes should no better if they want to get better.

There are also some who stamped their feet and ignore the fact that the sky is purple. You know why? Because it isn't true. As the post by "over 20 years" points out, the Jets D stank for the last several years.

Wee Willie Keeler walked every time until a foul bunt with two strikes became an out. The game past him by. This game has clearly past Rex by too. Wee willie was still a great player so he adjusted. Rex didn't. He'll be here next year so I hope he does adjust. If he doesn't and plays still come in with two nanoseconds left and Rex still yucks it up at press conferences while he should be working, you could pack the team with 53 General Douglas Pattons' and we'll still lose.

Edited by 4merper4mer

have never seen a team hold a "players only" meeting and go on to a successful season. Boobie wanted em so bad, call one.

The Bills players under Levy had them all the time. Polian covered his coaches and players, the coaches stuck by their players. The players held each other accountable. Started as "bickering" but they figured out the dynamic and they had the chemistry.

Players only meetings are good. They show that the players are owning the problem and working it out.

I've posted this many times. This team is lacking in leadership. From Rex/Whaley on down. Rex sets the tone, the players can pretty much say what they want and do what they want. They are individuals and treated as such. Apparently accountability is lacking to (see comments by Watkins).

Ok, Jackson was as leader but is now gone. I don't buy that Eric Wood is a leader, his play has been so poor that he cannot talk about others. Mario and Shady are quiet, brooding types. Dareus and Glenn seem to be disinterested. Felton and Clay are new.

Graham shows some leadership, maybe Richie, that's about it so far.

Preston Brown and Tyrod are young, potential leaders.

Leadership matters, and we ain't got none. On top of that, no matter what you do, or don't do, Rex is going to stand up and support you and accept the blame in his condescending manner.

We don't have player elected team captains. Many teams have the same captain's every week. You can do this and add some new coaches selected players each week, based on their play and readiness.

The way that Rex picks captains for a game is a joke and lessons the value of being a captain, you cannot grow leaders this way.

Edited by Bob in STL

I can definitely see that the players are not bought into each other and holding each other accountable as they should. That attitude starts with the head coach, and a good head coach can sense when that's happening and start taking steps to correct it. Rex hasn't done that and frankly I don't think he knows how.

"We're all over the place," defensive back Corey Graham said. "We're all over the place, we don't know what's going on half the time. Half the time guys are running in, running off, guys are trying to get calls, trying to figure it out. We're not going to win because we're not good right now."

I know they all have to be on the same page, but hearing Mario complain about players coming on and off the field makes me shake my head a little - most of the time, he's in the game, lined up at DE. Just do your job Mario, which is to at least make a tackle...

This point seems to be completely ignored. Not to absolve Rex completely, but fans seem to cling to one data point (the defense performed better last year) while ignoring the equally persuasive point that Rex's defenses have consistently outperformed this one.

Personally, I attribute the decline to a number of factors - scheme fit, personnel changes, and injuries are all significant. But if this board has taught me anything it's that once fans have their scapegoat they're going to run with it and trying to disuade many or most of them is like trying to take a bone away from a rabid Rottweiler.

I had posted this in another thread, but Eric Wood on Rex's scheme, fwiw:

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/12/eric_wood_defends_rex_ryans_defensive_scheme_against_mario_williams_comments.html

That is my most frustrating part of the this season. I just don't get it. His defenses has always been good. They upgraded lots of personnel from last year to this in NJ, but last years defensive starters were not good, and he got a lot out of them for the talent they had.

Willing to criticize athlete management (ie leadership, captains, accountability), not getting plays in on both sides of the ball, penalties/discipline. These are things that come with Rex, but they also come with a tough strong defense. I am just so baffled as to where that is.

As I type this, I posted about how my junior athletes handle things and approach their sport (rowing). I realized, I imply the need for a lot of accountability (can't preach, it becomes ingenuine and can create rifts on roster), and have for years. Success breeds success, my hard working athletes know this. It isn't me that makes those, who give half effort, feel uncomfortable or even unwelcome, it is the athletes that are putting in all the work and extra. While Rex needs to set the tone, that feeling has to be inbred already in professional athletes. You know who needed to instill work ethic and drive at the Olympic Training Center....NOBODY,we got coached, we wanted to be better so it was always up to us to get better. Professional money sports should be the same. Rex is responsible for giving out the directive, it is up to the players to follow through. Maybe because my sport wasn't riddled with cash, and we all worked while we trained full time, so obviously the desire was there already, but professional athletes should no better if they want to get better.

You've illustrated a concept I've had a lot difficulty conveying here: that you can't COACH internal leadership. Doing so renders it nonexistent. It has to be bred from the players, otherwise it's not the players holding themselves accountable, it's the coaches. And if we're all in agreement that the players need to hold themselves accountable, well, then there you have it.

You've illustrated a concept I've had a lot difficulty conveying here: that you can't COACH internal leadership. Doing so renders it nonexistent. It has to be bred from the players, otherwise it's not the players holding themselves accountable, it's the coaches. And if we're all in agreement that the players need to hold themselves accountable, well, then there you have it.

You haven't had trouble illustrating it. You've articulated it quite well. You're just wrong.

Leaders can be born, but not all leaders are born. Even some born leaders have to find their way. If you watched the 30 for 30 about the Bills they sort of showed this with the growing pains Jim and Thurman had. These guys both grew into being leaders and the team came together. They absolutely had a lot to do with it but they were guided in the right direction by Polian and Marv among others. Had Polian and Marv said "they just need to become leaders all by themselves" it probably would not have happened.

There is no evidence that Rex has given any of this guidance this year or in the past. I was actually encouraged with him defending the fact that Mario was really sick last week. Stuff like that can be a step in the right direction.

Edited by 4merper4mer

You haven't had trouble illustrating it. You've articulated it quite well. You're just wrong.

Leaders can be born, but not all leaders are born. Even some born leaders have to find their way. If you watched the 30 for 30 about the Bills they sort of showed this with the growing pains Jim and Thurman had. These guys both grew into being leaders and the team came together. They absolutely had a lot to do with it but they were guided in the right direction by Polian and Marv among others. Had Polian and Marv said "they just need to become leaders all by themselves" it probably would not have happened.

There is no evidence that Rex has given any of this guidance this year or in the past. I was actually encouraged with him defending the fact that Mario was really sick last week. Stuff like that can be a step in the right direction.

You confuse "I've never been in the locker room to see..." with "no evidence of" and sell it as "never happened."

Also, I feel great about the things I know. And Im reassured when a troll account tells me otherwise.

Surprise surprise. Boobie the big ugly cheerleader runs to the media to defend his adoptive father.

Why the hell is this guy on the roster and who the hell is he to talk about the real players on this team?

He even stands right next to his Dad and Uncle Dennis and on the sidelines all game. It's go time it's go time!!

The pigheaded cronyism on this staff is ridiculous.

I'll buy what Mario Sammy and Preston say. Um, they actually play. But this joker?

We have mutiny folks.

Surprise surprise. Boobie the big ugly cheerleader runs to the media to defend his adoptive father.

Why the hell is this guy on the roster and who the hell is he to talk about the real players on this team?

He even stands right next to his Dad and Uncle Dennis and on the sidelines all game. It's go time it's go time!!

The pigheaded cronyism on this staff is ridiculous.

I'll buy what Mario Sammy and Preston say. Um, they actually play. But this joker?

We have mutiny folks.

Sammy is saying things that we fundamentally contrary to Mario and Preston. In fact, he's saying the exact same things as Boobie.

You confuse "I've never been in the locker room to see..." with "no evidence of" and sell it as "never happened."

Also, I feel great about the things I know. And Im reassured when a troll account tells me otherwise.

Year after year of no new leaders emerging from teams which each have 53 players mathematically eliminates the need to be in the locker room.

I think Rex is an awesome guy. i really like him a lot and want him to be able to adjust his style, but if he doesn't none of this will change. We will need to get lucky by drafting or acquiring a natural and clear leader.

Instead of getting all caustic and defensive about the last sentence I wrote how about discussing the middle paragraph of my post. Was Kelly an effective leader before being nudged? Thurman? They have stated that they were not. They credit Marv and others for moving them in that direction. They do it all the time. Are they wrong? Although not the greatest player on those teams I would say that from what I see Frank Reich was a leader that probably didn't need that nudging. It doesn't make him more or less of a leader, just different.

What people should realize after this season is that the talent on this team is overrated, they lack football smarts, lack leadership and accountability.

It's sad to see that the casuals are tearing Rex apart when the failure is mostly on the players here.

It's both sides.

Players - Defense still living off last years press clippings instead of adapting to this years system. They've had 4 DC's in 4 years, they should be used to adapting to change by now.

Rex - Too stubborn to tweak his system to the strengths of the personnel he has.

If either side is as good as they believe they are, they'll find a common ground and adapt. It's the first year under Rex. There were bound to be growing pains. Now that they got that (getting their egos yanked back down to earth) out of the way, let's be fair about it and see how things go next year.

Edited by BmarvB

If you're going to flatly deny that reality, then there's no use discussing anything with you.

I think the analogy eludes you--that's not as harsh as it sounds, but your post above doesn't really get to what I meant to convey. Perhaps that's my fault.

If you're going to blather presumptuously and more or less incoherently about a "reality" where Aaron Williams not playing was the downfall of the Bills' defense, then there's no use discussing anything with you.

"The Bills rank a staggeringly-bad 29th in defensive DVOA this season, down from second in the league under Schwartz last year."