the defensive genius

playman

And then depression set in. That is what I find to be extremely frustrating about this season. I didn't know what to expect record wise this year, but I fully expected to see a dominant defensive units capable of supporting an inconsistent offense and even stealing a few games. I was worried they wouldn't be as good as they were under Schwartz but it never even crossed my mind that with the talent on the field they could be just mediocre. With Taylor providing at least adequate QB play (don't make this a TT thread) and the offense putting up more points than last year, the regression on defense is just maddening.

As I've noted elsewhere this is a big discussion point, mainly because of the total mismatch between Rex's "mastermind" scheme, and the front 7 on the roster.

They will need to go get a conventional space eating NT and find one or two outstanding MLBs. If you Keep Dareus it's only to play end, but really you can save millions upon millions by dropping Kyle, Mario and Dareus and replacing them with space eaters, and an OLB/DE hybrid.

As I've noted elsewhere this is a big discussion point, mainly because of the total mismatch between Rex's "mastermind" scheme, and the front 7 on the roster.

They will need to go get a conventional space eating NT and find one or two outstanding MLBs. If you Keep Dareus it's only to play end, but really you can save millions upon millions by dropping Kyle, Mario and Dareus and replacing them with space eaters, and an OLB/DE hybrid.

I'm on board with letting Mario go...but Dareus and Kyle are "team leader/vets" that we need to hold on to.

I think that's the issue, Rex looked at all this talent he was getting and figured how even better they will be in his brilliant scheme. His ego told him that he could easily get the players to adapt to his ideas and the D will be even better. To be honest not sure his ego is bigger than others in this respect, think all coaches think they can solve all of teams issues, otherwise they'd never have taken the job.

Positive thinking is great, but also need to be realistic.

What Rex did to this defense is nauseating. His complete lack of understanding his players was self-destructive. And now poor Bills fans have to deal with another lost season and no hope for 2016 or until Rex gets cut. Hopefully Pegulaville understands that it will only get worse and invests into a winning coach. Hell, I'd take Schwartz back in a heartbeat, but I doubt he'd ever come back.

I'm on board with letting Mario go...but Dareus and Kyle are "team leader/vets" that we need to hold on to.

I would let Kyle go. He's old, injury prone the last few seasons and not cheap. He is also not a great fit in a 3-4. Love the guy but it's time.

If Rex was smart he would have kept Schwartz and his system because the Bills had the right players to run it.

Trying to put in a different , more complicated defense without the right players for it , well we see the result.

Injuries and penalties made it a lot worse, but killing the morale of a proud defense from last season is fatal.

Wouldn't it be easier to replace the coach than restructure the entire defense?

Give Rex a choice, hire a real 4-3 D cord. or quit and hit the road.

We are not getting rid of our All-Stars because of stubbornness.

30th in sacks!!!

#spinninwheels

Imo

Edited by Leroi

thing that made me mad most is how rex was bragging about " making use of the players best " and " fitting the system to the players abilities " and - most important - how he would not repeat mistakes from his first gig. well, i guess he does not have a learning disability as much as he has an unwillingness to learn.....

And then depression set in. That is what I find to be extremely frustrating about this season. I didn't know what to expect record wise this year, but I fully expected to see a dominant defensive units capable of supporting an inconsistent offense and even stealing a few games. I was worried they wouldn't be as good as they were under Schwartz but it never even crossed my mind that with the talent on the field they could be just mediocre. With Taylor providing at least adequate QB play (don't make this a TT thread) and the offense putting up more points than last year, the regression on defense is just maddening.

My feelings exactly, couldn't have said it better. Where's the bully?

Schwartz declined, admittedly not sure how hard Rex tried to convince him to stay.

But that's all part of bringing in a new coach, not often do other coordinators stay, biggest reason is often they interviewed for the HC position and were turned down so they tend to have a chip on their shoulder, and more often the style of the new HC clashes with the old coordinators scheme. From Rex's side I'm the new HC if things go south here in Buffalo, I want to know it wasn't because I let someone else run the show. When you factor in the injuries, key D line a year older, not to say they would have been as good as last year. When you were as good as they were, the odds are higher you'll get worse than better.

For the people arguing that Rex should have kept Schwartz, a better argument could be if the Bills' loved the defense so much, they should have made Schwartz the HC

If Rex was smart he would have kept Schwartz and his system because the Bills had the right players to run it.

Trying to put in a different , more complicated defense without the right players for it , well we see the result.

Injuries and penalties made it a lot worse, but killing the morale of a proud defense from last season is fatal.

Schwartz declined, admittedly not sure how hard Rex tried to convince him to stay.

For the people arguing that Rex should have kept Schwartz, a better argument could be if the Bills' loved the defense so much, they should have made Schwartz the HC

When they hired Rex, Schwartz was gone. At best it should have been a step sideways, at least a marginal improvement on D, but definitely not a backslide.

I get the Rex hire. Great publicity, it was nice to bring in a name instead of just someones sloppy seconds.

After the nonsense in Detroit I questioned whether Schwartz was HC material. I would've said the same about Rex from his Jets days. Not all coordinators make the leap...see Wade Phillips.

That's why his name is Wrex

"Ryan isn’t quite the defensive genius he’s made out to be." Sad, but very true.

Its like Doug Marrone was an offensive line guru, and was anything but. Worst O line in the league in his last year in Buffalo

Chan Gailey was a supposed QB guru, and was anything but. Picked Fitz because he was already a journeyman QB. To quote Fitz after working with a new QB coach his last year in Buffalo. "nobody has ever worked with me on mechanics before this year"

Dick Jauron was also a supposed defensive guru, and ran that dreadful Tampa two. In all the time he spent in Buffalo he never did find the right players to run his scheme. Aaron Maybin says it all.

When will this freaking team hire someone that actually knows what they are doing as a head coach!