Dareus: Bills Jumped the Gun on the Rex Ryan Hype

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad they are aware of this - good to see Dareus gets it.

huh?

Yolo - the word is bamboozled... Rex is the best sales guy in the NFL. His career as a DC/HC is average and inconsistent. He's he's fielded below average defense 5 out of 7 years as a HC, well you know, if points allowed matter.

Remember Chan Gaileys Bills were going to be Super Bowl bound once they wrapped their brain around his offensive "brilliance" too and CJ got into space...

Anyone called a "coach" that can't teach their playbook to full time football players over almost a year probably isn't much of one and he should have seen on film pretty quickly that this roster doesn't line up with his scheme and changed one or the other. This is what incompetence looks like

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

His excuse that it's the first year of Rex's system is pathetically weak as Pettine and Schwartz both got their systems installed with not only good results but also improved the defense from the previous year

It's also ridiculous if Rex's playbook is that big and complicated

Yep. and in 2009 Rex's first year with the jets, wasn't his defence very good? It has to just be an excuse for dareus to be saying this because Rex is definitely a players coach

Living in MD and seeing RR defense with the Ravens I can tell you in two words why his D was great: Ray Lewis.

Siragusa and Sam Adams didn't hurt along with several other really good players on his Ravens' defenses.

His excuse that it's the first year of Rex's system is pathetically weak as Pettine and Schwartz both got their systems installed with not only good results but also improved the defense from the previous year

This is a very strong point that you make.

Rex Ryan's playoff promise will likely be broken
It was almost a year ago, in early January, when the Buffalo Bills called Rex Ryan back for a second interview for their head-coaching vacancy. Team president Russ Brandon was so impressed that he told owner Terry Pegula not to let Ryan out of the building.

I don't think he's bickering. I think he, like many of us, got carried away by the hype. Understandable after the emotional year that was 2014.

It's like finally signing Jim Kelly and expecting a turnaround right away. After 2 back-to-back 2-14 seasons the Bills went 4-12 in 1986, 7-8 in 1987, and 12-4 in 1988. During those years they added a good coach (Levy, mid-1986), and staff, and schemes, and players. The rest is history.

Rex took the Jets to a couple of championships in spite of everything. Much as I am sick unto death of "rebuilding", this is a rebuilding year where progress was actually made in terms of quality of talent. Tyrod's no Kelly, but arguably he doesn't need to be if the rest of the team plays to its potential.

I was hopeful for a playoff berth (didn't expect to go far in the playoffs) but just about every bad thing I've seen in this team is something that they can control and correct. If they don't - well, then I'll revisit my position.

But this isn't the 1980s anymore. Teams now have free agency and the passing game is easier (with a decent QB) which, among other things, allows teams to rebuild quickly.

That's a nice observation about the previous DCs and their immediate success, but both of them inherited a D with obvious weaknesses. Pettine started with a terrible crew and essentially could do no wrong, no matter how bad he tried. Schwartz started with some nice pieces, including a much improved Dareus as well as a healthy Mario & company. Schwartz also started with a plan to stop the run, something Pettine had overlooked in his haste to the QB. We were due to come back to earth and a change in scheme is what sped that along. Give it another year for Rex to get his people in place, then we can call for his head.

Siragusa and Sam Adams didn't hurt along with several other really good players on his Ravens' defenses.

This is a very strong point that you make.

Don't forget Reed and Suggs.

Boy, we sure do remember Pettine and his 28th ranked rush defense fondly, don't we? (that's total yards, to his credit he was 23rd in ypc)

Has everyone just conveniently forgotten the fact the the 2013 Bills--for all the flash and pizzazz of sacks and picks--legitimately LOST games because it couldn't get off the field when opponents wanted to run the ball?

Edited by The Big Cat

I for one find the excuse it takes a year for the coach to get his system implemented to be pathetic, weak and false. I was on board with RR, and others who knew more about him from the media were correct about him.

Why wasn't Polian brought on as Czar anyway? was it his choice or Brandon's advising the Pegulas? I now see why having a savvy guy like that, who would not have stood for the Rex Ryan hiring, would have been better. Kind of like the Jets hiring Casserly and ending up with Bowles. I was wrong and the Pegulas were bamboozled by a Donald Trump like clown.

With the contract in place for 4 more years, I am extremely worried and not very confident that we can do much under his leadership. He will have to change and has shown no ability or intellect with regard to that.

Edited by The Thurmanator

he is saying nothing more than some of us have been saying....they are moving in the right direction and it was foolish to believe it would have worked 100% in the first year...nothing to see here. this team is a good work in progress and will be more than fine

Unless you are trying to make a point. Then you only post part of the article.

I don't see this as Dareus throwing Ryan under the bus at all. He is saying that the players are at fault too. It's definitely not bickering.

That's how I see it too.

Manny Lawson made similar comments today, that the defense, just now having its 'ah ha' moments, but regrettably too late.

That's a nice observation about the previous DCs and their immediate success, but both of them inherited a D with obvious weaknesses. Pettine started with a terrible crew and essentially could do no wrong, no matter how bad he tried. Schwartz started with some nice pieces, including a much improved Dareus as well as a healthy Mario & company. Schwartz also started with a plan to stop the run, something Pettine had overlooked in his haste to the QB. We were due to come back to earth and a change in scheme is what sped that along. Give it another year for Rex to get his people in place, then we can call for his head.

Don't forget Reed and Suggs.

I don't agree with just accepting that the defense could only go down after last year. They are going to end up with half the sacks they had last year which is unacceptable regardless of the situation.

Fans too. There were only a handful of people on this website that thought they would be about the same team as they were last year in terms of record.

It was blasphemy to say they would be around 8-8/9-7 and not making the playoffs prior to the season.

Yes, I recall. I remember putting on that "prediction" post, that they're a 9-7 team. That's where they left off last year, so until proven otherwise, that's who they are. Sadly, the way things look now, they may not get 9 wins!

Reading today, the Bills are 30th in sacks...

Going from first to worst is not always fun, especially with the same players as last season and a defensive guru as our HC.

So, does Rex get fired? No. He is in the first year of a 5 year $27 million deal.

Can Rex turn it around? Yes!

Now, it will be written in stone come the end of the season that he has to change his staff around. Will he do it? Yes. The writing is on the wall, Thurman may be the scapegoat. Don't see much change on the offensive side of the ball.

Does Pettine come back if he gets canned by the Browns? History shows former coordinators who do not succeed as head coaches, eventually head back to their former staffs where they had success. Pettine knows the staff, the building and the fan base. So, I can see Mike coming back. This would build the fan base to slowly forget the 2015 season. Perfect fit, great situation.

Edited by KollegeStudnet