POLL: Fire Rex and/or Whaley?

dtgolder

Should we fire Rex and Whaley?  

359 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Pegulas release Rex and/or Whaley?

• Fire Rex now; keep Whaley
    • Fire Whaley now; keep Rex
    • Fire both Rex and Whaley
    • Keep both Rex and Whaley

Draft Darby, Draft Karlos, Sign Clay, Sign Rambo, Sign Baccari, etc etc...hes done a lot, Whaley is NOT our problem. He's had good drafts, 2 in a row, found bargain deals on quality players in FA, retained our own we wanted to keep, and acquired the TE we have always needed. Whaley has made good moves via trade, FA, and the draft. He's had a lot more hits than misses too. He's one of the better young GMs in the league...period. Its not Whaleys fault our team has been ravaged by injuries, or that refs screwed us multiple times, or that players are making mental mistakes on the field. The guy has added a lot of talent to this roster and there is no disputing that.

It's czar time alpha. Whaley's days are numbered as the Cowboy in the FO.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draft Darby, Draft Karlos, Sign Clay, Sign Rambo, Sign Baccari, etc etc...hes done a lot, Whaley is NOT our problem. He's had good drafts, 2 in a row, found bargain deals on quality players in FA, retained our own we wanted to keep, and acquired the TE we have always needed. Whaley has made good moves via trade, FA, and the draft. He's had a lot more hits than misses too. He's one of the better young GMs in the league...period. Its not Whaleys fault our team has been ravaged by injuries, or that refs screwed us multiple times, or that players are making mental mistakes on the field. The guy has added a lot of talent to this roster and there is no disputing that.

Then why wasn't he rewarded for his stellar work last off-season? Where was his extension? Why did Pegs want a Czar placed over him? Why isn't Rex reporting to him?

Then why wasn't he rewarded for his stellar work last off-season? Where was his extension? Why did Pegs want a Czar placed over him? Why isn't Rex reporting to him?

Wait, so are you saying a lack of extension means all the things I listed that he HAS done didn't happen? What does the extension have to do with what I listed as things he has gotten done per your question? They already said they wont talk extension until the off season with Whaley.

Again, you asked what has he done since the year before where he didn't get an extension. And I answered: Drafted Darby - Home run. Drafted Karlos - Home run. Is that disputable? Nope. Also drafted a very promising guard that is unfortunately hurt. He also retained the players they wanted to retain that many thought we would lose. He also got the TE they wanted in Clay, who's been a great addition. He also trade raped Philly and brought in a great RB. Those last two things along with Karlos have us among the best in rushing in the NFL, the exact style of offense the coaching staff wanted. He also went out and signed Taylor away from places offering him more money, another valued addition. He also found great values in Incognito, Rambo, and Baccari.

So what the heck has Whaley done that deserves to be fired? The Pegulas wanted Rex, so even if you say hire Rex, you are wrong. The owners wanted Rex badly after they met with him.

Whaley has done a great job of adding talent to this team...period. He's not the trainer, he can't control who gets hurt and when. He has no input on them being undisciplined and committing penalties. He assembles the team around the style of the coach, and I don't see anywhere he could have done better in this first season with this staff. There was NO better QB available than Taylor. How could he have added better RBs? He went out and got one of the better FA WR in Harvin even though he got hurt. He added one of the best TEs available in FA (and IMO the best available TE). He resigned one of the top DE on the market in Hughes (someone we were expected to lose). He found one of the best FA OL with Incognito. I mean he literally acquired the many of the best players available at several positions of need within our cap space, and several were great bargains.

I mean seriously, what else could he have done that was available? This guy is FAAAAAAARRRRRRR from our problems. If we let him go, it would be one of the single dumbest moves I have seen in a long time from any team.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Wait, so are you saying a lack of extension means all the things I listed that he HAS done didn't happen? What does the extension have to do with what I listed as things he has gotten done per your question? They already said they wont talk extension until the off season with Whaley.

Again, you asked what has he done since the year before where he didn't get an extension. And I answered: Drafted Darby - Home run. Drafted Karlos - Home run. Is that disputable? Nope. Also drafted a very promising guard that is unfortunately hurt. He also retained the players they wanted to retain that many thought we would lose. He also got the TE they wanted in Clay, who's been a great addition. He also trade raped Philly and brought in a great RB. Those last two things along with Karlos have us among the best in rushing in the NFL, the exact style of offense the coaching staff wanted. He also went out and signed Taylor away from places offering him more money, another valued addition. He also found great values in Incognito, Rambo, and Baccari.

So what the heck has Whaley done that deserves to be fired? The Pegulas wanted Rex, so even if you say hire Rex, you are wrong. The owners wanted Rex badly after they met with him.

Whaley has done a great job of adding talent to this team...period. He's not the trainer, he can't control who gets hurt and when. He has no input on them being undisciplined and committing penalties. He assembles the team around the style of the coach, and I don't see anywhere he could have done better in this first season with this staff. There was NO better QB available than Taylor. How could he have added better RBs? He went out and got one of the better FA WR in Harvin even though he got hurt. He added one of the best TEs available in FA (and IMO the best available TE). He resigned one of the top DE on the market in Hughes (someone we were expected to lose). He found one of the best FA OL with Incognito. I mean he literally acquired the many of the best players available at several positions of need within our cap space, and several were great bargains.

I mean seriously, what else could he have done that was available? This guy is FAAAAAAARRRRRRR from our problems. If we let him go, it would be one of the single dumbest moves I have seen in a long time from any team.

Only Rex can take credit for most of the best moves that took place, namely TT and Incognito. I like having Clay and Shady on the team, but considering the $ spent, I can't say that either acquisition has proven to be a slam-dunk success. Depending on your perspective, I would also give Rex the credit or the blame on Harvin. I will give Whaley the credit for Darby, though I have seen others say that Rex influenced the pick.

I'm not necessarily saying DW is a problem, I'm playing devil's advocate more than anything. I do believe his position with this organization may not exactly be rock solid.

Edited by Rico

@TBNSports

.@viccarucci's 3 #Bills thoughts: Rex on hot seat? Whaley? Who's upset -- besides the fans? http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/16/vic-caruccis-3-bills-thoughts-how-warm-is-ryans-seat-how-warm-is-whaleys-seat-is-anyone-else-upset-besides-fans/

CWWgBGMUYAEguxL.jpg
@ChrisTrapasso

I totally agree with @viccarucci: Rex Ryan and Doug Whaley should definitely be retained by #Bills.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I guess I would have to keep Rex for at least one more year but make it clear that he needs a slew of new assistant coaches, that he had best get some discipline (on and off the field) going, and that he had better demonstrate some very improved game day coaching. I would also make it clear that the playoffs are the ONLY way he will get a third year.

I guess I would have to keep Rex for at least one more year but make it clear that he needs a slew of new assistant coaches, that he had best get some discipline (on and off the field) going, and that he had better demonstrate some very improved game day coaching. I would also make it clear that the playoffs are the ONLY way he will get a third year.

So they need a discipline czar?

Those who dispute this are blind. Rex's deck has been as stacked as any Bills HC since Marv, he just has played the cards blindly. He needs some real self-evaluation. Go to the greats like Parcells and Vermiel and figure out how they did it. I'm not saying schemes, I'm saying people management. I don't think it's the schemes that have been bad, it's been his ability to drive the guys to understand the why and how. I like Rex as a person, I just don't like him as the Bills HC this year. He has really, really failed us.

If we don't fire our DC then I might riot. As I have said before, I feel like a lot has gone wrong this year with injuries and stuff beyond the staffs control. But the D look lost and is DEFINITELY not buying into the system. Yes I know Rex is trying to put his stamp on the D as well, but other DCs have run Rexs system better. With a 5 year deal, Rex most likely is back next year, so bring someone else in to run the scheme better because Thurman makes our D look like there is no talent on it at all.

Fire the ST coach too...have we even had a single game where the ST opened a single hole on any kick return? I mean I am sure its happened, but its so rare that I feel like its never happened.

All I know, is the offense keeps fighting, but the defense looks like it has no fight in it. They simply don't buy in IMO anymore and a change needs to come. Its approaching a point where I am starting to wonder if many of the DL guys have just mailed it in at this point and quit. No push, no penetration, and missing a lot of gaps. We seem to only get penetration when plays drag out or from a DB on the edge. Pathetic for the amount of money we sunk into the DL and at this point I wouldn't be shocked to see us move someone via trade on the DL to get more draft picks and save money to resign Gilmore and probably Taylor soon.

Key areas of needs this offseason: OL help everywhere. Better WR opposite Watkins (Woods is just frustrating IMO and I was high on him). LBs - talk about another disappointing unit. Safeties - no depth, and starters are marginal at best.

Ever since we had that midget join the staff to take care of injuries on field, we been losing and getting hurt alot. I think we have to start by firing that little person and then the defensive coordinator and then the special teams coach.

Oh and not having the Jills this year hurt also.

Edited by HuSeYiN_NYC

was not on board with the Ryan hiring, then really fell off the wagon with the firing of Schwartz. Whaley has done very well at finding late round talent, if they had hired a competent head coach and the defense remained in tact from a year ago, this team would literally be in the playoffs, instead of the blow-hard Bs we were fed before the season.

I think that Rex and Whaley stay, but certain people have to go. I have been saying this for the last month or so that Garrison Sanborn is screwing our kicking units up a bit as his snap accuracy leaves a lot to be desired. Our coverage teams and return teams have been suspect all season as well. Offensively, I think the biggest changes needed are at RT and either development of Miller or a better RG. On D, I am not sure what Rex has in mind for the D, but I believe that we need to draft a replacement for Kyle, and if Mario goes, him as well. That said, our LB and S positions have been god awful most of the season. We need better there.

All I'm going to say is that if Whaley is indeed fired or decides to leave, the Bills might as well fire Rex as well, no new GM will want any part of Rex after that fiasco with the Jets with Idzik. So most likely both are staying in 2016 when the team tanks into the oblivion, then who knows at that point.

Besides Manny Lawson, the Bills LB corp is just plain awful. Brown was just rated the worst LB in the league and Bradham / Tarpley are worse.

Darby and Robey are lightweight DBs who simply cannot cover Tight Ends, much less tackle them. Robey is 5'-8" for crying out loud.

In a TE happy division this is a glaring weakness that can be matchup exploited all day long.

So the Bills have a defense with crappy Linebackers and DBs that can't matchup to TEs. Basically we are screwed.

Add in the first round QB bust plus the steep price for Watkins and Whaley gets a failing grade.

The team is ill equipped personnel wise to compete within our division.

This is a fundamental failure- make it an F.

Edited by jethro_tull