Trump Alone at the Top

Of course he is. What's his stand on abortion. Gay marriage. NATO. He changes with the wind.

He's just less scheming than Hillary.

Don't really GAF. And I don't know what his true stance on NATO is. People say all sorts of stuff to get elected.

What are you talking about? He is precisely as scheming as Hillary, especially with Manafort running the show.

Trump is, simply put, Hillary with a comb over.

Assuming he is, I'd still take him over her. And the (sad) truth is it's going to be one or the other.

Don't really GAF. And I don't know what his true stance on NATO is. People say all sorts of stuff to get elected.

Assuming he is, I'd still take him over her. And the (sad) truth is it's going to be one or the other.

You have to take him over her because as Tom said, it's the only hope of blowing everything up.

And honestly, the issue isn't even "Oh, no, Trump is president! Pull your money out of the banks and hide!"

It will be more like "Oh, no, Trump is president. Prepare for Obama's third term."

Because that is precisely what he will bring.

"I've got a beautiful phone. It is to bee-ooo-tee-full. I know you're gonna love it. And, and... and I've got a pen. Not a cheap Bic like Foolish Obama has, it's a really, really great one. It's a Mont Blanc. It's a wonderful pen. It has a 24 carat gold barrel.

It's gonna be so great when I use my bee-ooo-tee-full pone and my really great pen to first, to first overturn all of Foolish President Obama's executive orders. All of Foolish Obama's orders, and replace them with my very own much better executive orders. They are really, really great. They are much, much better executive orders. I can't tell you anymore about them just yet. Not just yet. Not yet. Because the time is not right. The time isn't right just yet.

Thank you. No more questions now. I've got to catch a helicopter."

You have to take him over her because as Tom said, it's the only hope of blowing everything up.

That, to my mind, is very strange thinking. I've been hearing that a lot lately. It's clear to me that, in most cases, it's just a bad rationalization for someone not willing to break out of his ideological cage.

It's clear to me that, in most cases, it's just a bad rationalization for someone not willing to break out of his ideological cage.

I can't speak for Tom, but are you suggesting it's bad rationalization for me not breaking out of my conservative ideology to support a liberal like Trump?

That, to my mind, is very strange thinking. I've been hearing that a lot lately. It's clear to me that, in most cases, it's just a bad rationalization for someone not willing to break out of his ideological cage.

Yeah. Because I'm a Republican. :lol:

LA's actually slightly misrepresenting my point of view. I've been lamenting the gradual evolution of the executive branch into an authoritarian branch for quite a while now - the electorate seems to think an authoritarian executive that works around Congress and ignores or alters the law is perfectly fine, as long as it's their guy who has the power. I happen to think that giving that power to Trump will adequately demonstrate to everybody - Republicans and Democrats - that the problem isn't who holds that authoritarian power, as much as that that authoritarian power exists to begin with.

So for me, a vote for Trump isn't a vote for "blowing it up," but a vote for a return to a constitutionally balanced government through the demonstration to the blindly partisan idiots of why constitutional checks and balances exist: namely, to minimize the damage that raging !@#$s like Trump can do. Trump's supporters are likely to be shocked by how quickly and thoroughly he's going to !@#$ them over along with everyone else.

Yeah. Because I'm a Republican. :lol:

LA's actually slightly misrepresenting my point of view. I've been lamenting the gradual evolution of the executive branch into an authoritarian branch for quite a while now - the electorate seems to think an authoritarian executive that works around Congress and ignores or alters the law is perfectly fine, as long as it's their guy who has the power. I happen to think that giving that power to Trump will adequately demonstrate to everybody - Republicans and Democrats - that the problem isn't who holds that authoritarian power, as much as that that authoritarian power exists to begin with.

So for me, a vote for Trump isn't a vote for "blowing it up," but a vote for a return to a constitutionally balanced government through the demonstration to the blindly partisan idiots of why constitutional checks and balances exist: namely, to minimize the damage that raging !@#$s like Trump can do. Trump's supporters are likely to be shocked by how quickly and thoroughly he's going to !@#$ them over along with everyone else.

Understood. My criticism doesn't apply to your position. But I've heard the "blow it up" chant from people who I know have not thought it through.

Understood. My criticism doesn't apply to your position. But I've heard the "blow it up" chant from people who I know have not thought it through.

Yeah, while there's a large set of people who believe the government is broken, there's an unfortunate subset of them that confuse eliminating the problem (i.e. "blow it up") with solving the problem. As though just "blowing it up" is enough, and some sort of effective, responsible governance will naturally and organically evolve overnight from the resulting chaos.

But again, people also walk off cliffs chasing virtual Pokemon on their cell phones. So foresight isn't exactly a common American trait.

Yeah, while there's a large set of people who believe the government is broken, there's an unfortunate subset of them that confuse eliminating the problem (i.e. "blow it up") with solving the problem. As though just "blowing it up" is enough, and some sort of effective, responsible governance will naturally and organically evolve overnight from the resulting chaos.

But again, people also walk off cliffs chasing virtual Pokemon on their cell phones. So foresight isn't exactly a common American trait.

Very (painfully) true.

Your idea of the Trump Train being an opportunity for giving a civics lesson to the sign-waving mouth breathers could be viewed as a little...optimistic. :lol:

True and true.

I'm not convinced though that a Trump Presidency would ultimately changing the arc we're traveling toward autocratic rule. I think most conservatives and perhaps libertarians would sign on for limiting the Executive Branch's powers, i.e., getting back to The Constitution. But I think most Republicans and Democrats would be just fine with giving that branch near dictatorial powers... as long as it was their person in the driver's seat. I confess there is something very enticing thinking about Chris Christie as AG prosecuting Hillary and Lois, and a **** load of other pols who have screwed over their political enemies. :devil:

And honestly, the issue isn't even "Oh, no, Trump is president! Pull your money out of the banks and hide!"

It will be more like "Oh, no, Trump is president. Prepare for Obama's third term."

Because that is precisely what he will bring.

No, I have to take him because I've seen what LIAR can do and I want no part of it. So far, all of Trump's talk is just that: talk. And LIAR will definitely be Barry's 3rd term. I'm not convinced The Donald will be, regardless of to whom he donated money.

Who does Trump think he is expecting each NATO member to meet the expectations agreed to upon joining the organization? Why the next thing you know he'll question the monies the US pays to the United Nations! I hope he never attempts to devise a cost/benefit ratio on that outfit.

There's not another way to solve it, Tom.

Your thinking is flawed. You think the partisans in Congress will come together when Trump runs wild? Both sides will just wait til they get another representative to become executive and give them even MORE leeway to combat the other side.

It's a vicious cycle. I'm surprised you have such faith in corrupt career politicians.

Edited by FireChan