Mario Williams a Buffalo Bill next year?

r henderson

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I would do. The free agent class has a ton of depth at DE and NT. I would clean house on the defensive line, in the process cutting major salaries, freeing up cap space and declining years of contract. Address the loss of Kyle and Mario via free agency. I would also look at safety and CB via free agency rather than the draft as well.

If Rex is gonna stay then both Williams's and maybe Dareus have to go to fit his schemes. Sad, but true.

If Rex is gonna stay then both Williams's and maybe Dareus have to go to fit his schemes. Sad, but true.

And you need rangier LB's and stud safeties.

The only good personnel fits on the D are the corners.

Graham and Rambo would be an adequate safety duo in a D where the DL is expected to make the plays but not so much in Rex D.

And that said there have been people whining about the impact of the loss of Dolores Search in free agency.

They should take a look at his work this year versus Graham.

Graham is a FAR better football player.

The talent was here to be an even better D than last year but Rex scheme blew it in September and October.

Now he's worn down his defense asking them to do things that aren't a good fit and the subsequent injuries are now expected to be an excuse. :doh:

Lb's would fix some of the issues. But we said that about Schwartz. and Pettine when we were getting gashed on run plays.

A Williams was a major loss for this team. The drop off was too much it seems.

I dont care if Mario is on the team next year.

sorry.

I'd like to keep Graham. Indifferent with the others. Lots of depth in the FA class to replace them.

Unless Aaron has to retire, he's more likely to be here than Graham.

Cutting Aaron would incur an additional $1.6M charge against the cap, whereas cutting Graham would save $2.6M

Go to footballoutsiders.com. He's the worst rated LDE in the NFL by far.

His wingspan, while not small, ain't that big. Wilkerson's dwarfs it (easy to google).

As I said above (not directed at you), scheme non-versatility is a bug, not a feature, especIally for a guy with nearly a $100 million contract.

Good post! Where do you live in Brooklyn? I'm in Park Slope.

Dave- he's the lowest rated as they are using him wrong this year, dropping into coverage, etc. This morning on NFL Radio, Marvez and Howard david were talking about how great Belicheck is as a coach as he adjusts his offense and defense based on what he has in players. meaning, they lost Revis and Browner, so they invested in the front 7 and patched together the back half.

He then pointed out how Rex is limited as a coach as he is using his patent wrongly in Buffalo. He stated why not keep this current unit in a 4-3, let them continue to play at a high level and slowly over several drafts and free agency create the players he needs to do his defense. He basically used him as an example that some NFL coaches are limited as they are adept enough to adjust. I now agree with this point, and as originally stated we are a rock and a hard palce as Mario performed at a high level the previous three years. His play didn't drop off, they are using him wrong.

If we dump him, our play will diminish and we will most likely go back to an avg defense. That sucks due to rigidity on Rex's part, or just isn't smart enough to adjust his style.

Although i'm already sick of Rex, I know we will never dump him in one year.

Dave- he's the lowest rated as they are using him wrong this year, dropping into coverage, etc. This morning on NFL Radio, Marvez and Howard david were talking about how great Belicheck is as a coach as he adjusts his offense and defense based on what he has in players. meaning, they lost Revis and Browner, so they invested in the front 7 and patched together the back half.

He then pointed out how Rex is limited as a coach as he is using his patent wrongly in Buffalo. He stated why not keep this current unit in a 4-3, let them continue to play at a high level and slowly over several drafts and free agency create the players he needs to do his defense. He basically used him as an example that some NFL coaches are limited as they are adept enough to adjust. I now agree with this point, and as originally stated we are a rock and a hard palce as Mario performed at a high level the previous three years. His play didn't drop off, they are using him wrong.

If we dump him, our play will diminish and we will most likely go back to an avg defense. That sucks due to rigidity on Rex's part, or just isn't smart enough to adjust his style.

Although i'm already sick of Rex, I know we will never dump him in one year.

:beer::beer:

If we would have gone into this year with Rex and you would have told me that this D would have THIS many problems just because of scheme I would have told you that you were nuts......just funny farm type crazy

but

It is what it is

I won't speak for everyone but I know I've been taken aback by how long the adjustment to the new scheme has taken on defense. I expected a slow transition on offense with so many new pieces brought in on top of a new scheme, but the continuity along the line led me to believe the D would be the first to gel. This hasn't happened nearly as fast as I (or anyone) hoped and as a result the entire unit has suffered. Still, I refuse to believe based on what I'm seeing on game film, that the decline is due to a drop off in talent.

It's not. It's schematic.

Mario hasn't forgotten how to play. Mario also isn't dogging it on the field (there's literally no visual evidence of this, in fact quite the opposite). Could he be unhappy behind the scenes? It's certainly possible but I haven't really heard anything from folks I trust about that kind of rift between Ryan and Mario. I fully expect this thread to be much ado about nothing come next season when Mario is still playing for Buffalo.

But time will tell.

Unless Aaron has to retire, he's more likely to be here than Graham.

Cutting Aaron would incur an additional $1.6M charge against the cap, whereas cutting Graham would save $2.6M

Sure, ask Graham to come up and make 150 tackles this year and then cut him. B-)

Aaron Williams neck issues have persisted for just shy of two full seasons.

His play dropped off in 2014 while he was playing thru it and this year has been a wash after he injured the neck on a seemingly routine tackle so I EXPECT that he will be cut this offseason.