Blood is on the NRA's hands

LA Grant

I have a hard time imagining that - Gene has his own opinions, but isn't more caustic in expressing them than many others here are. I've seen what I consider to be some amazingly ignorant things posted here, as well as some extremely immature things, but I have yet to see anything said that's worthy of silencing the offender.

To be fair, I know plenty of lefties that are both principled and consistent in their views, despite that I may disagree with them. What I have trouble with are smarmy declarations and condemnations that seem to be tossed out without any consideration given to consistency - for example, speech and expression can not and should not ever be abridged, but someone needs to shut those people praying in public up because I shouldn't have to listen to it. The glaring inconsistency in that is often overlooked by many, and I've never been able to understand - or accept - that line of thinking.

This was at a time when other mods were getting involved here mainly at the bequest of some libs who thought our freedom of expression should be curtailed.

Much to his detriment, he really believes that about Republicans.

Ah, but he's a conservative. Never mind that he gets his talking points from the Huffington Post.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The next push to end the ban on CDC gun violence “research”

The shameless politicization of the terrorist attack in San Bernardino continues apace this week, this time with the focus shifting to one of the least likely agencies of the federal government imaginable being involved. The Washington Post ran a heartfelt, pleading article after the ambulances had pulled away, noting that on the same day of the ISIS massacre, the evil Republicans in Congress had once again refused to lift the ban on funding for gun violence research by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Oh, the irony.

{snip}

This proposal is a great way to waste both the time and money of the taxpayers for a blatantly political purpose which would provide zero new information. It’s also completely outside the mission of the CDC. They should stick to what they allegedly know best. If they really want to veer off into unscientific studies, perhaps they could commission an analysis of the mental disease that leads people to join up with radical Muslim groups?

“We are so busy right now that I don’t know if I’m coming or going,” Derrick Meyers of River City Firearms in Louisville, Ky. told FoxNews.com.

“Yes, there has most definitely been an increase in gun sales,” said David Wiley of Wiley’s Gun Shop in Wills Point, Texas. “I expect it to continue from now until the next presidential election.”…

There have been 19.82 million checks so far through November this year, and it is on pace to break the record. Black Friday saw the most background checks — 185,345 — in a single day.

Much of the debate over gun regulation founders on this basic truth: The proposals that have mainstream support are unlikely to achieve dramatic results, and more ambitious proposals are both practically and politically hopeless

What I have trouble with are smarmy declarations and condemnations that seem to be tossed out without any consideration given to consistency - for example, speech and expression can not and should not ever be abridged, but someone needs to shut those people praying in public up because I shouldn't have to listen to it. The glaring inconsistency in that is often overlooked by many, and I've never been able to understand - or accept - that line of thinking.

Credit Facebook for that. Repost something in your echo chamber and collect all the Likes your 2465e99b4e9383dd980bf434cdf881f1.png desires

What a different a year makes. Here are the editors of the New York Times in 2014, in an editorial titled “Terror Watch Lists Run Amok.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/19/opinion/terror-watch-lists-run-amok.html?_r=0&referer=

Here's same people in 2015: http://nytimes.com/2015/12/04/opinion/tough-talk-and-a-cowardly-vote-on-terrorism.html

By the Times’s own standards, the GOP’s skepticism was sensible no? Surely, it would be downright outrageous to allow the Bill of Rights to be compromised by the “the shadowy, self-contradictory world of American terror watch lists, which operate under a veil of secrecy so thick that it is virtually impossible to pierce it when mistakes are made”?
How odd. The only thing that has changed between 2014 and 2015 is that more people have been added to the rolls.
THE NARRATIVE tops all.
Also, what the NYT didn't tell you: Murders are at a record low and falling in the U.S.

Edited by B-Man

Once again, short of nationwide mandatory confiscation of all firearms from civilians, no gun law would have prevented this.

Not a seven-day waiting period.

No “gun show loophole” applied.

Limits on how much ammunition a gun can carry at one time might have had a marginal impact;

there’s little sign the shooters encountered much resistance at the social services facility. Initial reports indicated they had as much time to reload as they needed and brought multiple weapons.

These two put a lot of preparation into this: both of them were dressed in tactical gear and carrying assault rifles, officials said. That level of preparation is among the factors investigators are weighing as they examine a motive for the attack.
Chief Jarrod Burguan of the San Bernardino Police Department said at a news conference that the attack did not seem to be “a spur-of-the-moment thing.”
The vehicle also contained so-called “rollout bags” with multiple pipe bombs, as well as additional ammunition. The couple also had GoPro cameras strapped to their body armor and wore tactical clothing, including vests stuffed with ammunition magazines. “That’s a military tactic for a sustained fight,” That’s the sort of thing you bring if you want to make videos to terrorize other people, and rally others to their cause or ideology…
it also would explain why they left the scene instead of staying to shoot it out with police at the social services facility. They intended to live to tell the tale, at least for a while.
Each detail of this story adds one more layer of “what the hell?”
The couple didn’t leave behind a note at Inland Regional. But they did stash three explosive devices — rigged to a remote-controlled toy car — that didn’t go off. See, when your perpetrators are using explosive devices, it’s stupid to argue that gun control laws are the right solution here.

Well stated! Preach on. No amount of gun control would have stopped the shootings, nor the IED they were going to use next. Carry the message forward!

Ahallu Akbar. I blame the nra

Thank you George Soros for your paid talking point.

iu1f7brY_bigger.pngBarack ObamaVerified account @BarackObama 2h2 hours ago

Congress can #DoSomething about this. pic.twitter.com/0dhwrGu7wf

CVpLZ6WUsAEQ6PM.png
What a terrific example of Barack Obama's mindset..........................it doesn't matter if it will be effective.........just DO SOMETHING.

excuse me,....... #do something

Due process is for losers. This president is all-in on racial and ethnic profiling. Forward!

I have a Twitter account but barely use it. Once I used it in a please for help when I got my head stuck between the wall and a radiator. I used it maybe one other time. I know there are limits on what you type, but does the # stuff count toward that limit?

How about #whenyourheadisrollingdownaflightofstairsthatswhen Is that too long or is it allowable?

CVpLZ6WUsAEQ6PM.png

What a terrific example of Barack Obama's mindset..........................it doesn't matter if it will be effective.........just DO SOMETHING.

Due process is for losers. This president is all-in on racial and ethnic profiling. Forward!

#bringourgirlshome

The Big Three Villains — Laziness, Stupidity, Corruption — and the Gun-Control Debate
by Kevin D Williamson
There are many popular demons in American public life: Barack Obama and his monarchical pretensions, Valerie Jarrett and her two-bit Svengali act, or, if your tastes run in the other direction, the Koch brothers, the NRA, the scheming behind-the-scenes influences of Big Whatever. But take a moment to doff your hat to the long, energetic, and wide-ranging careers of three of our most enduring bad guys: Laziness, corruption, and stupidity, which deserve special recognition for their role in the recent debates over gun control, terrorism, and crime.
The Democratic party’s dramatic slide into naked authoritarianism — voting in the Senate to repeal the First Amendment, trying to lock up governors for vetoing legislation, and seeking to jail political opponents for holding unpopular views on global warming, etc. — has been both worrisome and dramatic. The Democrats even have a new position on the ancient civil-rights issue of due process, and that position is: “F— you.” The Bill of Rights guarantees Americans (like it or not) the right to keep and bear arms; it also reiterates the legal doctrine of some centuries standing that government may not deprive citizens of their rights without due process. In the case of gun rights, that generally means one of two things: the legal process by which one is convicted of a felony or the legal process by which one is declared mentally incompetent, usually as a prelude to involuntary commitment into a mental facility. The no-fly list and the terrorism watch list contain no such due process. Some bureaucrat somewhere in the executive branch puts a name onto a list, and that’s that. The ACLU has rightly called this “Kafkaesque.”
Here’s where our old friends laziness and stupidity play a really prominent role: The no-fly list is not composed of identities, but merely names. Lots of people share the same name. So, for instance, the late Senator Ted Kennedy ended up on the no-fly list, because somebody had used his name (or a similar name) as an alias. Among people called “Kevin Williamson,” we find myself, the famous Scream screenwriter, a notable Scottish politician and political activist (he is also the author of Drugs and the Party Line), a Canadian entertainment journalist, a fine woodworker who sells his wares on Twitter, and a famous underwear model for whom I am unlikely to be mistaken. If a trip to the DMV or the IRS one day eventually sends me over the edge into full-on barking mad durka-durka-Mohammed-jihad territory, those other Kevin Williamsons are going to suffer simply because we share a name.

{snip}
But sorting out the criminals and malefactors from the law-abiding and peaceable is very difficult and demanding work, which is why we pay the ladies and gentlemen in our law-enforcement and intelligence agencies so much to do it. (Two hundred grand a year goes a long way in Philadelphia.) Conservatives are naturally inclined to indulge the police, but the fact is that the run of them are specimens of what you get when you take the same lazy unionized public-teat-suckling lumps over at the DMV and put guns on their hips and tell them that they are “at war” with the people they serve. Our intelligence guys aren’t in the main Blackford Oakes or James Bond: They’re drones compiling Excel reports until their pensions kick in. That cow-eyed young TSA gate agent with the “GANGSTER” neck tattoo grabbing your nozzle at the airport isn’t the best and brightest, and the guy he works for only has to be one step up. The distance between the guy staring dumbly into your traveler-sized tube of shaving cream and the guy making policy about staring dumbly into traveler-sized tubes of shaving cream is about 300 points on the SAT.
The murdering woman in San Bernardino was traveling the world on a Pakistani passport and had spent a great deal of time in Saudi Arabia before all but announcing her intentions on Facebook with her public declaration of allegiance to the Islamic State. That loon didn’t make it onto anybody’s no-fly list, but we’re giving the hairy eyeball to guys from Wauwatosa, Wisc., writing biographies of Dick Cheney. Well-done, Secret Agent Jackass, here’s a new decoder ring.
On the matter of ordinary workaday murders of the South Chicago and North Philadelphia type, it cannot be repeated enough that the majority of the killers — 90 percent in New York City according to a New York Times review of the data — have prior criminal histories, often for violent crime, frequently involving weapons offenses. Chicago, among other cities, does basically nothing to prosecute crimes involving the illegal possession of guns. For all the clucking about straw-purchasers — phony buyers who help criminals avoid background checks when acquiring guns — the U.S. attorney’s office for blood-soaked Chicago won’t even bother with those cases as a matter of policy. Why? Too much work, not enough juice. Nobody’s career gets made by putting some South Side gangster’s mom in the pokey for making a straw purchase of a Glock for her beloved son.
The Democrats and their intellectually corrupt apologists at the New York Times and elsewhere are willing to strip Americans of their constitutional rights, to micturate from a great height upon the entire concept of due process, and to treat all of us like criminals — while doing precisely nothing to prevent school shootings, terrorism, or ordinary crime — because they don’t have the guts to tell their political clients in the schools, the mental-health bureaucracies, and the criminal-justice system that eventually they are going to have to do their goddamned jobs in exchange for the hundreds of billions of dollars we lavish upon them.
It is time for Americans to grow up and to sober up. It may push your soy-latte buttons every time Bubba down in Muleshoe, Texas, buys a scary-looking black gun and declares war upon a row of defenseless Budweiser cans, but inconveniencing Bubba isn’t going to get the job done. Laziness, stupidity, corruption: The U.S. government exists for the sole purpose of protecting the rights of U.S. citizens, but somehow the fine minds at the New York Times conclude that the federal government should do more to burden the citizens to whom it owes every duty than, say, so-called refugees from Syria to whom the U.S. government has no duty whatsoever. Why? Because the alternative is expecting the employees of our federal, state, and local governments to do their duties, and that is just too much work.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/article/428139/gun-control-debate-government-laziness-stupidity-corruption

CVpLZ6WUsAEQ6PM.png

Everyone remember ten years ago when Ted Kennedy was on the no-fly list?

This is a well thought-out plan.

I know I could do my own research but too busy right not. What is required for someone to be put on a no-fly list?

That's the cute thing about it: since a determination of putting someone on the no-fly list can involve intelligence information (including identifying assets and procedures), Therefore, the method of determination itself is classified. So really...no one knows. If you're on it, they won't tell you why (because if you're on the no-fly list, I pretty much guarantee you're not cleared to know why you're on it.) And they can't tell you how to get off it, because then they'd have to tell you how you got on it.

But wait, there's more!

As it turns out, Ted Kennedy was not on the no-fly list. "T. Kennedy" was on the selectee list, of people who require extra scrutiny before boarding a plane. Naturally, since "T. Kennedy" is so non-specific, the airlines have to pull aside everyone with the name "T. Kennedy," including the senior senator from Massachusetts who'd at the time been a national public figure for over 40 years. Fortunately, these days the TSA is on top of things, so the no-fly list is much better maintained and mis-identification never happens - oh, yeah, did anyone mention that this has the effect of giving the Transportation Safety Administration the responsibility of deciding who is or is not allowed to own a gun?

But even then, that may not be a bad thing. What's one more hidebound bureaucracy amongst friends, even if it is one as dysfunctional and backstabbing as DHS? As long as the information is shared...

...wait a minute, isn't "information sharing" what the formation of Homeland Security was supposed to provide? You mean, adding a bureaucracy hinders rather than facilitates information sharing? Who'd've thunk it? I'm sure adding yet another bureaucratic check for gun purchases will work out just fine...

...but wait, there's even more!!!

Since it turns out Ted Kennedy was misidentified off the selectee list and not the no-fly list, Ted Kennedy would not then, under what's being proposed, have had his Second Amendment rights abridged without due process. Nor would "T. Kennedy." Since we're only talking about names on the no-fly list not being allowed to legally buy or own guns. People on the selectee list would still be allowed to legally buy and own guns...and on the terrorist watch list...as long as they weren't on the no-fly list...uh, wait, what?

Brilliant idea, making the no-fly list a no-gun list. Very well thought out. :wallbash: