I hate to admit it, but Taylor sucks

I am no expert, but I have heard that Tyrod reads half the field then takes action. Is this true or a fabrication?

If it is true and Sammy is not on the initial read he won't be looked at

if he isn't looked at, who holds the blame?

And you heard this from...someone on this board?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watched the all-22 of the Pats game - focusing on Tyrod - because he didn't seem to have his fastball working.

he's throwing flat footed. not bringing his weight to his front foot. since that front foot's attached to his left leg, i'm thinking his injured knee is an issue.

before i saw his motion, i thought he may have came into the game with an injured shoulder.. but i'm pretty certain his knee's the problem.

also - and i don't know if this has been a problem all season, or not - but he was locking onto his targets all night. but he could be compensating for losing a few mph off his fastball.

edit - Alf, you pretty much said the same thing this morning - i think you're right.

Edited by BackInDaDay

Still better than EJ, still the best QB on the roster, but he surely isn't the long term answer at QB.

I really wanted to believe, but he is another checkdown or scramble guy that can't consistently read the defense and throw down the field.

It's frustrating.

Totally Agree

His knee must be really hurting his play , now shoulder ,maybe more. If Taylor is healthy with a better OL ,I think he will look good again.

Given the way he plays and his less than ideal size, how often will he be 100% though? It's not his up and down play that's concerning to me (that's to be expected of just about anybody with his limited playing time), it's his ability to stay healthy. Guys who rely on their legs tend to get hit more often, what makes anybody think he'll be able to stay healthy?

I want Sammy to get the ball more, too. I think it's criminally negligent. That said, the Bills offense was built, from scratch, around Sammy, Percy Harvin, and Robert Woods, with high priced TE Clay and high priced workhorse Shady. From day one the coaches said that some games Sammy was not get the ball and other games Percy or Clay or Shady wouldn't get it much.

Roman built the offense around the fact that we had five skill players that all had a lot of talent. The defense couldn't possibly devote enough resources to cover them all. The QB, Tyrod won the job, would look at the defense and decide pretty much beforehand who he was going to go to based on the playcall. The one guy that was single covered.

We never really had all of our players healthy but we never changed that concept when Hogan or Karlos came in. Karlos immediately became another huge threat. Harvin went down but we still had 5 guys that we want to get the ball to. Roman has not changed this at all, and that's why you hear what Tyrod said today in his press conference. This is the way the offense was always supposed to be and has been. And there have been plays to be made every game.

I think they need to tweak it to some degree and get the damn ball to Sammy but that is the reason you see what you see. It's also why you see TT staring guys down or just looking to one side of the field a lot.

Agree completely.

Tyrod is asked to take what the D gives him and not turn the ball over.

This offense is thoroughly micro-managed by Roman.......he gets the play call in so late it's really hard for TT to do much more than what he is told to.

I think he is capable of much more....maybe even becoming a franchise QB.....but I think the bigger concern with him is whether he can stay healthy.

His knee must be really hurting his play , now shoulder ,maybe more. If Taylor is healthy with a better OL ,I think he will look good again.

My guess is that his knee will require surgery after the season. I doubt it is still the sprain.

Fact #1. The league has been re-engineered to favor the passing game. Thank fantasy for this.

Fact #2. There is a major shortage of NFL QB's with a CPU speed fast enough to prosper in todays NFL

Fact #3. The Buffalo Bills are a VERY GOOD football team, but need a QB that conforms to mostly fact # 2.

Agree completely.

Tyrod is asked to take what the D gives him and not turn the ball over.

This offense is thoroughly micro-managed by Roman.......he gets the play call in so late it's really hard for TT to do much more than what he is told to.

I think he is capable of much more....maybe even becoming a franchise QB.....but I think the bigger concern with him is whether he can stay healthy.

My guess is that his knee will require surgery after the season. I doubt it is still the sprain.

I still maintain that I have seen a certain script over the course of this season (after the first set of games....in which I thought they were using TT correctly...which also corresponded with TT putting up points

- Force TT to work from the pocket....I mean....FORCE IT.....at the beginning of the game to halftime and a little bit through it (which is actually just BIZARRE to me)

- Team falls behind

- Late in the game......start calling plays that play to Tyrod's strengths....let him run......roll him out of the pocket.....yada yada yada yada

- TT's productivity picks up

Working on weaknesses in Tyrod's game is not something that should be done IN GAME....that is what practice and training camp is for. For christ sake....when they move him around he even starts throwing better from the pocket...it sparks him......

Roman's running game schemes are great.....but he doesnt know wtf to do with Tyrod Taylor

and yest his injuries are concerning to me......QB in the first please.

He underthrew every deep pass he attempted (kind of reminded me of Fitz floaters)...guys were open deep and he missed them. Bad game for TT. Have to hit those to beat NE on the road.

Both of those underthrown deep balls were clearly PI on NE. They were both catchable had the defender not interfered.

They need to stay the course with Tyrod. Playing and studying film are two different things. I'm giving him one more year. Draft someone in round 2 or 3 and let him sit. Id like to see them spread the field more. Let him come out throwing. Get into a rhythm. Maybe Roman knows something we don't but I think they need to be more aggressive. Get teams out of this 8-9 guys in the box.

They could have beaten NE if Tyrod makes a few throws that good QBs make all the time. One to Hogan deep, one to Sammy deep. Both for six that stand out. There where others. Tyrod isn't blameless here.

Both of those throws that you mentioned were underthrown a bit, but were catchable if not for PI that was not called against NE. Again, yes they were not perfect throws, but catchable balls without the uncalled PI.

Both of those underthrown deep balls were clearly PI on NE. They were both catchable had the defender not interfered.

Both of those throws that you mentioned were underthrown a bit, but were catchable if not for PI that was not called against NE. Again, yes they were not perfect throws, but catchable balls without the uncalled PI.

balls that aren't delivered on time and on target harder to complete. i'm wondering if Roman took the deep middle routes out of the gameplan after watching Tyrod throw in practice..

btw, as of yesterday - Taylor has gotten 'limited' practice time this week.

Given the way he plays and his less than ideal size, how often will he be 100% though? It's not his up and down play that's concerning to me (that's to be expected of just about anybody with his limited playing time), it's his ability to stay healthy. Guys who rely on their legs tend to get hit more often, what makes anybody think he'll be able to stay healthy?

lots of QBs are hurt right now.. some are too hurt to play.. i give Taylor credit for suiting up, and if Roman has to adjust to what his QB can do, so be it.

balls that aren't delivered on time and on target harder to complete. i'm wondering if Roman took the deep middle routes out of the gameplan after watching Tyrod throw in practice..

btw, as of yesterday - Taylor has gotten 'limited' practice time this week.

lots of QBs are hurt right now.. some are too hurt to play.. i give Taylor credit for suiting up, and if Roman has to adjust to what his QB can do, so be it.

I think the main objective of TT in Roman's O is to not turn the ball over.

It's natural to wonder if TT can work the middle of the field because he is not a tall QB.

But I think it's more about Roman being confident that he can move the ball without risking a lot of throws in the middle of the field.

Taylor may be able to handle a lot more responsibility.......but the reality is that he is 5-3 and two of those losses are to the best team in the NFL.

I hated the gameplan against the Patriots.....but it was consistent with what Roman has been doing each week........and overall it is hard to argue with the results.

Especially when the D had been very disappointing until the past two weeks.

I expect them to take a similar gameplan into the Chiefs game.

I am no expert, but I have heard that Tyrod reads half the field then takes action. Is this true or a fabrication?

If it is true and Sammy is not on the initial read he won't be looked at

if he isn't looked at, who holds the blame?

If it's true, then yes Tyrod is to blame, yes. But if he sees a guy is open and throws it to him and it isn't Watkins, who cares?

Failure to get the ball more to the WR's is not Tyrod's fault. It's the playcalling. He underthrew a couple of balls against NE, but for the most part has been very good on deep balls. He runs the plays that are called and this is a run first offense. Blame Greg Roman if you want more passing, but I'll take Tyrod over almost every QB in the division. He has played exceptionally well for the most part.

I definitely agree with you. I was a bit bitter writing that post over the loss. Tyrod will be fine and do well for us.

Edited by Vinaccia

I still maintain that I have seen a certain script over the course of this season (after the first set of games....in which I thought they were using TT correctly...which also corresponded with TT putting up points

- Force TT to work from the pocket....I mean....FORCE IT.....at the beginning of the game to halftime and a little bit through it (which is actually just BIZARRE to me)

- Team falls behind

- Late in the game......start calling plays that play to Tyrod's strengths....let him run......roll him out of the pocket.....yada yada yada yada

- TT's productivity picks up

Working on weaknesses in Tyrod's game is not something that should be done IN GAME....that is what practice and training camp is for. For christ sake....when they move him around he even starts throwing better from the pocket...it sparks him......

Roman's running game schemes are great.....but he doesnt know wtf to do with Tyrod Taylor

and yest his injuries are concerning to me......QB in the first please.

I could have sworn that I had a long protracted argument with a guy who said that 5 years worth of practices and camps weren't all that valuable, as all the real growth happens in live games.

I can't imagine that same guy arguing that those same traits I said were lacking, would now be arguing that those traits should be improved in practices and camps rather than live games.

Can you?

Also.....the TD pass to Shady was totally catchable and should have been a TD

How may times to the franchise QBs get bailed out with pass interference calls on balls that are underthrown just the way those were?

I could have sworn that I had a long protracted argument with a guy who said that 5 years worth of practices and camps weren't all that valuable, as all the real growth happens in live games.

I can't imagine that same guy arguing that those same traits I said were lacking, would now be arguing that those traits should be improved in practices and camps rather than live games.

Can you?

You misunderstand

I never said that Tyrod was a finished product.....only that he was good enough to be playing while he continues to work on his game. And yes....real growth does happen during live games.

How much experience does a QB get holding a clipboard with opposing defensive coordinators actually watching tape of him.....adjusting the D to combat that.....and then turning around and changing things to combat the changes that the D coordinator has made?

YOU DONT GET THAT HOLDING A CLIPBOARD

Edited by John from Hemet

You misunderstand

I never said that Tyrod was a finished product.....only that he was good enough to be playing while he continues to work on his game. And yes....real growth does happen during live games.

How much experience does a QB get holding a clipboard with opposing defensive coordinators actually watching tape of him.....adjusting the D to combat that.....and then turning around and changing things to combat the changes that the D coordinator has made?

YOU DONT GET THAT HOLDING A CLIPBOARD

No, you said those things shouldn't be expected to improve in five years of practice; but now your saying those things should only be worked on in practice.

No, you said those things shouldn't be expected to improve in five years of practice; but now your saying those things should only be worked on in practice.

No I am saying that Roman should not be scheming things that Tyrod does not do well in games.

Also......your ignoring the point I have made about D coordinator's adjusting their defenses to him.

This is a worthless conversation anyway.....outside of like 3 NFL QB's all the QBs that play in the NFL have a weakness of one form or another.

Tyrod will either learn to throw from the pocket or he will be replaced

Smoke another one 34, Why don't we just bring back tuel ! Josh Johnson is the play. That's a good one.

Tuel was a better passer than Tyrod too! However, he struggled under a crap OC... Tuel was also suppressed by expectations of our 1st round pick... Tuel was a guy who never really got a significant opportunity.

Greg Roman sucks, but Tyrod doesn't help his case with with his poor field vision, and underthrows. I'd expect more from a guy who sat behind Joe Flacco for four years.

Oh, Before I forget, You know who else was better than Tyrod? -Thad Lewis!

I think the main objective of TT in Roman's O is to not turn the ball over.

It's natural to wonder if TT can work the middle of the field because he is not a tall QB.

But I think it's more about Roman being confident that he can move the ball without risking a lot of throws in the middle of the field.

Taylor may be able to handle a lot more responsibility.......but the reality is that he is 5-3 and two of those losses are to the best team in the NFL.

I hated the gameplan against the Patriots.....but it was consistent with what Roman has been doing each week........and overall it is hard to argue with the results.

Especially when the D had been very disappointing until the past two weeks.

I expect them to take a similar gameplan into the Chiefs game.

Yep. Plus there were all kinds of plays to be made in the Pats game. The Bills should have easily scored two more TDs. Tyrod was just off most of the game. Shady had the drop. We should have had first and goal on the deep one to Hogan. There were guys running free. Tyrod hasn't thrown a pick in 19 quarters. I generally like Roman to a degree but he needs to clean some stuff up for sure.