Fantastic interview with Gilbride

dave mcbride

I don't personally care for the guy because I think he's a hypocritical self promoter and stats padder, but there's no denying at the height of his powers one of the best ever at attacking the middle of the field from the pocket. For those who want to see what TT isn't doing a good job at, here's a reminder.

In what year did Breese become a good QB ?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea by Tyler Dunne... reach out and get great insight from an experienced guy who's actually been in the trenches and has been successful against the Patriots.

Only think I think he's wrong about is TT's deep balls. From what I've seen the timing and accuracy has been great on almost every deep ball he's thrown.. I don't think he's waiting for guys to get open on the deep balls.

When he talks about the "timing" and "being late", I think he's referring to he isn't seeing Sammy beat his guy early. He releases the ball after the WR has steps of separation. It's just another way of pointing out TT's issue with progressions.

When he talks about the "timing" and "being late", I think he's referring to he isn't seeing Sammy beat his guy early. He releases the ball after the WR has steps of separation. It's just another way of pointing out TT's issue with progressions.

This isn't even accurate though. Some instances, sure, but TT is actually very good at anticipating and leading his receivers, often before they come out of their breaks. There are plenty of examples I've seen of this. All of the arm chair scouts and analysts here need to relax. Wow, Kevin Gilbride said a few things. Who cares. It has been proven over and over that these guys often don't know what they're talking about and I'm sure Gilbride hasn't studied TT all that close.

This isn't even accurate though. Some instances, sure, but TT is actually very good at anticipating and leading his receivers, often before they come out of their breaks. There are plenty of examples I've seen of this. All of the arm chair scouts and analysts here need to relax. Wow, Kevin Gilbride said a few things. Who cares. It has been proven over and over that these guys often don't know what they're talking about and I'm sure Gilbride hasn't studied TT all that close.

Agreed!

We finally have a guy who looks like he could be something, and yet rather than realizing he needs experience to develop, some crush him instead. Jeez! another lesson in some people are never happy I guess. It's okay to point out an opinion on what he needs to work on, it's another thing to say he sucks as a lot of posters on here do.

I wouldn't give much credence to his comments on TT. His offenses were effective against Brady. Yes, the Giants defense in both SB we're excellent, but Eli stood toe to toe with Brady and pushed that ball in big chunks down the field.

Gilbride matched wits with Belicheck and won. Rex did it in his first two years, but arguable the front office of the Jets blew it with losing talent. Well, time for Rex to earn his money tomorrow night. He has a chance to show he can outwit Belicheck with a relatively healthy team against a banged up Patriots team.

Go get me Rex! Show the Pegulas they made th e right choice with you.

Agreed!

We finally have a guy who looks like he could be something, and yet rather than realizing he needs experience to develop, some crush him instead. Jeez! another lesson in some people are never happy I guess. It's okay to point out an opinion on what he needs to work on, it's another thing to say he sucks as a lot of posters on here do.

Yeah it's bizarre. You simply do not lead the league in completion percentage through 10 weeks--with what, the 3rd highest YPA??--without being very accurate (obviously). And you do not achieve such accuracy without going through your progressions consistently and throwing them open. Is every throw going to be perfect? Of course not. People parroting that TT does not go through his progressions have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and are trying to sound like they do. Also consider that the QB does not need to go through every one of his options on every passing play.

I understand people are hesitant to crown TT, and that's totally fine. I'm not doing so either. I'm sure he will continue to work on improving and experience is a big part of that.

Yeah it's bizarre. You simply do not lead the league in completion percentage through 10 weeks--with what, the 3rd highest YPA??--without being very accurate (obviously). And you do not achieve such accuracy without going through your progressions consistently and throwing them open. Is every throw going to be perfect? Of course not. People parroting that TT does not go through his progressions have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and are trying to sound like they do. Also consider that the QB does not need to go through every one of his options on every passing play.

I understand people are hesitant to crown TT, and that's totally fine. I'm not doing so either. I'm sure he will continue to work on improving and experience is a big part of that.

Yup and it's not like he's throwing bubble screens. A fair number of high percentage passes but they're not the entire offense.

That said, Tyrod needs to start attacking the middle of the field. You just know the Patriots are going to leave it open and dare him to, and take away the sidelines, because it's obvious Tyrod is afraid to use the middle of the field. I'm more concerned about that trend than I am about going through his progressions.

TT is not going to appease QB traditionalists. In large part he doesn't execute in situations that arent either deliberate or improvised. That said, his production and fit for this offense is very strong. I also think he is a winner. Whatever that impossible to quantify measure is, he has it. I also love watching him play, he's exciting and I don't feel I'm alone when I say that. It's hard seeing anybody taking his job for the foreseeable future.

Edited by KzooMike

Not sure if this is something sarcastic but since Buddy did punch Gilbride in a game it is good that in their old age they can forget old transgressions.

It was sarcastic

TT is not going to appease QB traditionalists. In large part he doesn't execute in situations that arent either deliberate or improvised. That said, his production and fit for this offense is very strong. I also think he is a winner. Whatever that impossible to quantify measure is, he has it. I also love watching him play, he's exciting and I don't feel I'm alone when I say that. It's hard seeing anybody taking his job for the foreseeable future.

It's true that no one on the current roster will take his job away being injury, but tomorrow will be an acid test for him. I expect the Pats**to take away his throwing lanes. I am hoping Roman has a couple of games plans depending on how the D is playing. Like lot of bubble screens, moving pockets...

" He may be a four-year guy but he’s a first-year guy in terms of getting experience. "

And he is right as Tyrod is playing his first year in the NFL as the starting QB. He still has a lot to learn, and a lot of growing / developing to do. Still, he is 4-2 as the starter.

Starter LeSean McCoy, he said, “is off the charts.” Count on Belichick trying to erase him from the equation.

And again he is right as Shady is another version of Barry Sanders. Lets hope that Greg Roman that can break McCoy free, and doesn't ask Tyrod to throw very often. Run the read option enough so that Belichick stacks the box, and then have Taylor hit Sammy, or Clay behind the LBers. I would love to see both McCoy and Karlos in the backfield, and have the line work the counter trey to open up the cutback lanes.

Gilbride believes teams can win in 2015 with a run-heavy, smashmouth attack.

As do I, as do I. I would rather watch a smash mouth team beat down that Patriots defense all game long so that they can't stand up by the end of the game. They should be bending over holding their knees or hands on hips gasping for air. With two, three tight end formations just pounding the rock all game long, and the Bills have the players to do just that. The only real problem will be if the defense can keep Brady in check, and if not we probably won't see much of the run game.

5-2

If they aren't deliberate, but they aren't improvised, what is left?

If they aren't deliberate, but they aren't improvised, what is left?

He excels at timing routes, check downs, first reads, and deep balls. All of which generally don't require a lot of thought. They're determined pre snap or off a base read, what is required is a deliberate action and execution. Where he struggles is finding success within the framework of the play when it's not how I would describe as deliberate. Throwing to 2nd/3rd/4th reads. Tyrod has to see what he's throwing to right now. He doesn't throw toward a covered WR just before he breaks to become open. Rarely does he even attempt to throw if his deliberate option is taken away. More likely to improvise.

Gilbride is pretty spot on. He knows what he's seeing. He is a traditional NFL drop back type guy from a coaching standpoint. So Tyrod isn't his kind of QB. KG wants to see the ball coming out in rhythm and on time. Tyrod is going to wait on a lot of throws. Probably inexperience. When he buys time with his feet, guys can come open and he's getting the ball there. But he's not a Brady, where that thing is outta there on time with a sense of what each WR is going to do vs a certain coverage. That takes time to develop.