Scott Chandler

Kirby Jackson

The Jordan Cameron signing before the Bills offer sheet (adding another 4.6M to the 2015 cap and 9.5 to the 2016 cap) to the dolphins is just another example that there was no point in that type of structure for Clay. Once that happened there was no way they were going to match. They signed him before the offer sheet. They did not sign him after looking at the Bills offer sheet to Clay. Dolphins already moved on.

I love how you talk about all this stuff like it fact.....when in reality it is simply your opinion.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jordan Cameron signing before the Bills offer sheet (adding another 4.6M to the 2015 cap and 9.5 to the 2016 cap) to the dolphins is just another example that there was no point in that type of structure for Clay. Once that happened there was no way they were going to match. They signed him before the offer sheet. They did not sign him after looking at the Bills offer sheet to Clay. Dolphins already moved on.

They thought about matching him and running a 2 TE set. The Bills waited for the Suh details before structuring their offer. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article15198317.html

They thought about matching him and running a 2 TE set. The Bills waited for the Suh details before structuring their offer. http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article15198317.html

Miami allocated the majority of Jordan Camerons contract in 2016 (9.5m). Their year of supposed cap issues. If they really wanted Clay they wouldn't have done that.

Miami allocated the majority of Jordan Camerons contract in 2016 (9.5m). Their year of supposed cap issues. If they really wanted Clay they wouldn't have done that.

Let's just say this - I'd rather be where we are with the cap space and roster we have than where Miami are, regardless of the Clay contract.

The Bills waited for the Suh contract to create the offer sheet. They structured it in a manner that would be most difficult for Miami to match.

The Bills waited for the Suh contract to create the offer sheet. They structured it in a manner that would be most difficult for Miami to match.

That could be true but when Cameron Jordan signed they should have done their due diligence and re-done the offer sheet to Clay. The facts are still that the offer sheet to Clay was AFTER the Jordan signing. It doesn't matter if it was created as long it was not submitted to Clay's agent. Which it wasn't. The nature of his contract could have been avoided.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

That could be true but when Cameron Jordan signed they should have done their due diligence and re-done the offer sheet to Clay. The facts are still that the offer sheet to Clay was AFTER the Jordan signing. It doesn't matter if it was created if it was not submitted to Clays agent. The nature of this contract could have been avoided.

That's wrong. Miami has to match the exact terms of the offer sheet. Not just the total. The $13M cap hit in year 2 is what made them unable to. Suh and Tannehill have a combined $45M hit this year. As soon as the Bills had those details they created the offer. The Bills can now re-do Clay's contract if they want to lessen this year's cap hit. It goes down to $6.5M a year for the last 3 years.

That's wrong. Miami has to match the exact terms of the offer sheet. Not just the total. The $13M cap hit in year 2 is what made them unable to. Suh and Tannehill have a combined $45M hit this year. As soon as the Bills had those details they created the offer. The Bills can now re-do Clay's contract if they want to lessen this year's cap hit. It goes down to $6.5M a year for the last 3 years.

That restructuring would entail the Bills taking on an INCREDIBLE potential amount of dead for an injury prone player that has stayed healthy ONCE in his career. The way this contract was structured was a disaster and restructuring it just makes it even worse considering the dead money involved and the more important pending signings in 2017-2019 like a franchise QB, franchise CB and your franchise WR. We will need every bit of cap space possible. You don't want to restructure clay.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

That restructuring would entail the Bills taking on an INCREDIBLE potential amount of dead for an injury prone player that has stayed healthy ONCE in his career. The way this contract was structured was a disaster and restructuring it just makes it even worse considering the dead money and the more important pending signings in 2017-2019 like a franchise QB, franchise CB and your franchise WR. We will need every bit of cap space possible.

The dead money after this year is $6M, $4M and $2M. That doesn't seem that crazy to me.

If you restructure his entire roster bonus into a signing bonus it goes 19.5M, 13.5M, 9M, 4.5M. Yeah! Crazy!!!

I didn't know we were advocating restructuring? I was under the impression that we were both talking about biting the bullet this year? If not, I apologize for the confusion.

Always did like Chandler.

Amazing he was a huge upgrade for us, using hindsight.

if only he could have learned to jump. leap or extend.

But he had great TD celebration in Detroit

That 4th and 20 on the game winning drive against the vikings was an incredible play by him from a poorly thrown ball by Orton. I believe he made an incredible one handed grab in that Jets game you were just talking about as well.

That 4th and 20 on the game winning drive against the vikings was an incredible play by him from a poorly thrown ball by Orton. I believe he made an incredible one handed grab in that Jets game you were just talking about as well.

Fitz made decent use of him back in the day, and he set some franchise records i believe.

Bills rarely valued TEs.

Clay is the first big dip into creating a credible threat that defenses really have to key on.

I hope next season he hits his "stride" under Roman and Tyrod lol.

Scott Chandler was always a loyal Bill so of course i wish him well in his future endeavors wherever they lead him.

If you restructure his entire roster bonus into a signing bonus it goes 19.5M, 13.5M, 9M, 4.5M. Yeah! Crazy!!!

well, essentially it would be committing to him for 3 years (including this year) if we restructure.

he had a very good year 1, and we are keeping him this year so who cares about 19.5m dead if cut. its a pointless number to even look at

even if so-so this year, we are keeping him the next year, so $13.5m really doesnt matter much.

after that, if you think its crazy to commit to him for the 3rd year (which the 9.5m would definitely do), so be it. They could also scale back the amount they convert. Do 5m instead of 10 and his cap hit still comes down without ballooning as much in dead money, as an example.

There are plenty of ways to handle it and they have had a year of him in the system and with docs hands on him to see that yes he is a great fit, and evaluate if they think hes healthy enough to really write the next three years in pen instead of pencil.

I wonder what would ever possess Patriot fans to think that a Bills reject would be a big time player on a Super Bowl team. If Chandler was any good he would still be in Buffalo. It's not like the Bills are overflowing with talent at TE.

Because they have done it before - Antowain Smith; he was leading rusher in Pats* Superbowl win.