Dennis Thurman on defending the Pats (article from January)

YoloinOhio

This article was posted just before Rex and Thurman were hired but thought it was worthy of repost. Good read!

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/01/08/how-to-stop-tom-brady-and-the-patriots

The best example: During the 2010 season, the Jets beat Brady and the Patriots in the divisional round in Foxboro with a game plan that looked nothing like the one they used in their 45-3 loss just six weeks earlier. The Jets activated 11 defensive backs for the game and introduced four new coverages (one, the brainchild of safety Jim Leonhard) that packed the DBs in the middle of the field to limit Bradys options. That was a one-time thing, Thurman recalls. We felt like they thought we would stick with the same game plan that we had used the two prior games, and that all we would ask our guys to do is play better. We were able to spring it on them that time and had success. The Jets won, 28-21, to go to the AFC Championship Game. But Thurman still recalls Brady starting to figure it out toward the end of the game. Fortunately, he says, we were able to hold them off long enough.

Edited by YoloinOhio

With the number of crossing patterns the Pats run you absolutely hv to hv defenders in the middle guarding them. I used to scream watching Welker run free across the middle all the time without any defenders there to get in his way or even make the tackle.

The Pats also rarely throw deep so pack defenders in close to clog up the passing lanes and try to get pressure on Brady without blitzing. Controlling the ball on offense is also another great way to defend the Pats

Edited by Max997

With the number of crossing patterns the Pats run you absolutely hv to hv defenders in the middle guarding them. I used to scream watching Welker run free across the middle all the time without any defenders there to get in his way or even make the tackle.

The Pats also rarely throw deep so pack defenders in close to clog up the passing lanes and try to get pressure on Brady without blitzing. Controlling the ball on offense is also another great way to defend the Pats

Brady's deep ball on Sunday was a total duck, I noticed. As good as he is at everything else - I would force him to do that the whole game. Edited by YoloinOhio

Brady's deep ball on Sunday was a total duck, I noticed. As good as he is at everything else - I would force him to do that the whole game.

If this is the case then why the fear of blitzing?

If you get consistent pressure on Brady over the course of a day, it then effects him even on a snap where the rush doesn't get home. Pressure throws Tom off his game. I think the coaches should trust their coverage guys and get after him.

Yeah, but can he walk the walk?

Brady's deep ball on Sunday was a total duck, I noticed. As good as he is at everything else - I would force him to do that the whole game.

Good! Might be his throwing 50 times a game is wearing down his arm. :thumbsup:

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Interesting. Nice shout out to Jim Leonard for his d-back cluster scheme. Get that dude a headset and a coaches hat.

I like how they put stopping the run first, because nobody ever thinks of the Pats running game as anything significant. They're known for playing full quarters and even halves of football with empty backfields and/or zero rushing attempts. They have Blount and probably the new guy White will get a few touches. Bolden, the 3rd runner looked pretty bad against the Giants.

You would think we would be able to handle Blount, but he must be faster than he looks out there because he can churn clock and keep the chains moving when he needs to. At least against us. (still trying to forget his 334 all purpose yard game against us two years ago.)

The one thing about Thurman I'm having trouble understanding is the lack of inventiveness our defense seems to have this year. I remember the Jets as having tons of pre-snap movement, disguised blitzes, zone blitz, overloaded blitz from one side, etc. Did anyone notice the way Marvin Lewis had his D shifting and adjusting pre-snap last night? That's how I expected us to be this year, and it seems like more Wanny than Rex/Thurman to me.

Whatever it is, THIS game is the reason Rex is our head coach. He and Dennis need to create and execute an effective scheme and keep Brady guessing. We aren't going to score 30 points out there, this game is up to our defense to win.

And what's more fun to watch than Brady and Kraft losing? Nothing. I put it ahead of the birth of my first child--by a LOT (it was mostly screaming, sweat, and lots of amniotic fluid, anti-climactic for sure......)

go bills.................

The article also dispels the myth that you can't sack a QB who gets rid of it in 2.x seconds. You can still sack a QB who gets rid of it early, the rushers just need to win some one on one matchups and schemes can also allow someone to get to the QB fast. Knock receivers at the line and sit on short routes over the middle and there's no quick outlet to let disgraced QB Brady** get rid of the ball to. Most of all - make sure you get a hand on Brady every friggin snap. Ideally you want to get a good shot in that causes physical pain, but even just a hand on or a shove to let him know you are there and will be coming again. Don't let him get comfortable. For God sakes don't let him sit back there an entire game playing catch untouched.

I think the best thing Rex and Thurman can do for this game is tell the Dline - OK, you've been bitching to let you loose and make plays. Here's your chance. Put up or shut up. What greater motivation is there for a player than that.

Edited by stevewin

Interesting. Nice shout out to Jim Leonard for his d-back cluster scheme. Get that dude a headset and a coaches hat.

I like how they put stopping the run first, because nobody ever thinks of the Pats running game as anything significant. They're known for playing full quarters and even halves of football with empty backfields and/or zero rushing attempts. They have Blount and probably the new guy White will get a few touches. Bolden, the 3rd runner looked pretty bad against the Giants.

You would think we would be able to handle Blount, but he must be faster than he looks out there because he can churn clock and keep the chains moving when he needs to. At least against us. (still trying to forget his 334 all purpose yard game against us two years ago.)

The one thing about Thurman I'm having trouble understanding is the lack of inventiveness our defense seems to have this year. I remember the Jets as having tons of pre-snap movement, disguised blitzes, zone blitz, overloaded blitz from one side, etc. Did anyone notice the way Marvin Lewis had his D shifting and adjusting pre-snap last night? That's how I expected us to be this year, and it seems like more Wanny than Rex/Thurman to me.

Whatever it is, THIS game is the reason Rex is our head coach. He and Dennis need to create and execute an effective scheme and keep Brady guessing. We aren't going to score 30 points out there, this game is up to our defense to win.

And what's more fun to watch than Brady and Kraft losing? Nothing. I put it ahead of the birth of my first child--by a LOT (it was mostly screaming, sweat, and lots of amniotic fluid, anti-climactic for sure......)

go bills.................

good call on jimmy Leonard as a coach. I think he'd be a good one.

If this is the case then why the fear of blitzing?

I don't fear the deep ball from Brady when blitzing, it's the short hot route. He kills teams with it all the way down field. I'd rather the Bills rushed 4 most of the game (with some blitzing here and there) and clogged the passing lanes with LBs and bracketed with Safeties.

I don't fear the deep ball from Brady when blitzing, it's the short hot route. He kills teams with it all the way down field. I'd rather the Bills rushed 4 most of the game (with some blitzing here and there) and clogged the passing lanes with LBs and bracketed with Safeties.

Totally agree but not having Edelman severely affects that for the Pats. Amendola is decent at it but he's much more effective running crisp 15 yard routes. Lafell is little threat at it. Lewis was very good at screens and bubble screens and short routes when he was healthy. Missing Lewis and Edelman is a major loss. Granted, the Pats normally find a way anyway. But this is a big opportunity for us.

True. And Amendola will slide right into Edelman's role there. We do need to get into those short passing lanes, which I saw the Bills defense (e.g. Lawson) do last week against the Jets, as they knew Fitz was unlikely to beat em deep.

At the same time we must generate pressure. If the DL isn't getting it done on their own, we may have to increase the percentage. Imo it's the most pivotal thing to do to beat Brady.

Defensive line needs to play it straight. No time for stunts or delayed blitzes. It's been said a million times & it's still true, the pressure has to come up the middle. If that means some strange fronts then do it. Mario & Hughes rushing from over the guards may work a time or two.

Defensive line needs to play it straight. No time for stunts or delayed blitzes. It's been said a million times & it's still true, the pressure has to come up the middle. If that means some strange fronts then do it. Mario & Hughes rushing from over the guards may work a time or two.

Yep. I don't at all mind the idea of Mario playing the middle in Kyle's absence and Carrington/IK rushing from the edge, esecially without Lewis. Brady needs to be pressured from the middle as you say. It's glaringly obvious that it flusters him and it's the only thing that does.

Yep. I don't at all mind the idea of Mario playing the middle in Kyle's absence and Carrington/IK rushing from the edge, esecially without Lewis. Brady needs to be pressured from the middle as you say. It's glaringly obvious that it flusters him and it's the only thing that does.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another but someone mentioned brady's late duck and assumed he can't throw a deep ball. That's not the case. IMO what happened there was...no immediate pressure on him, but he felt it anyway and didn't step into the throw even though I think he could have. That's what can happen if you're around him all game.

I can't remember if it was this thread or another but someone mentioned brady's late duck and assumed he can't throw a deep ball. That's not the case. IMO what happened there was...no immediate pressure on him, but he felt it anyway and didn't step into the throw even though I think he could have. That's what can happen if you're around him all game.

Yep. Lost in the concept of Brady being so great, which he is, is the seemingly impossible way that Belichick, for 15 straight years, has been able to come up with OL that somehow, someway, keep DL and blitzers from Brady. Yes, he gets the ball off very quick. Yes, he's uncanny at sidestepping and buying time. But still.

I know a lot of people don't believe this, but even though Brady is one of the very best QBs of all time, if he were on ANY other team but the Patriots, he wouldn't be nearly as good. he would get hit way, way, way more, and his one weakness would be 10x more evident.