Rousey loss to Holm

Observer

Not an MMA guy but I somehow got dragged into some idiotic discussions with people about Rousey vs Mayweather in the last month or so.

My contention being that unless Mayweather flopped on the ground and had zero training, he would knock out Rousey in less than 60 seconds and maybe less than 30, and that any male boxer in her weight class would do something similar.

That's not to take away from her amazing training or judo/jujitsu.

Watching the replay of the Holm/Rousey fight, it was exactly what I would guess any male boxer would do by staying upright, except the men would hit 5x as hard (I once sparred with a trained boxer and though I have big hands, this guy's hands were like blocks of granite), be faster, and harder to take down than Holm. And if you watch the fight, Holm didn't just land one lucky blow and win--she dominated the fight right up until she won. I mean: Rousey wasn't just defeated, she got her ass kicked.

I know Rousey is a promotion machine. Maybe if she's smart, she backs off the Rousey machine a bit and hits training a little harder. I am sure she's a great fighter or she would not be where she is, but she got exposed by a top striker and now everyone will copy that formula.

Edited by Observer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an MMA guy but I somehow got dragged into some idiotic discussions with people about Rousey vs Mayweather in the last month or so.

My contention being that unless Mayweather flopped on the ground and had zero training, he would knock out Rousey in less than 60 seconds and maybe less than 30, and that any male boxer in her weight class would do something similar.

That's not to take away from her amazing training or judo/jujitsu.

Watching the replay of the Holm/Rousey fight, it was exactly what I would guess any male boxer would do by staying upright, except the men would hit 5x as hard (I once sparred with a trained boxer and though I have big hands, this guy's hands were like blocks of granite), be faster, and harder to take down than Holm. And if you watch the fight, Holm didn't just land one lucky blow and win--she dominated the fight right up until she won. I mean: Rousey wasn't just defeated, she got her ass kicked.

I know Rousey is a promotion machine. Maybe if she's smart, she backs off the Rousey machine a bit and hits training a little harder. I am sure she's a great fighter or she would not be where she is, but she got exposed by a top striker and now everyone will copy that formula.

I agree unless, which is likely, the boxer had any takedown and submission defense then she would probably submit them.

Rousey was tailor made for Holm because she is very aggressive with poor boxing defense (ducking, slipping and moving) and Holm is a counter striker with good grappling defense.

Holm really impressed me with defending Ronda's throws and submissions and even took her down. When I saw that and Ronda's bad boxing I knew she wouldn't last long.

The best part of all this not hearing Joe Rogan glorifying "the greatest athlete of all time, not just once in a lifetime but once ever" :sick: (sure Joe because you know all the athletes through out history)

Also it was nice to see Ronda humble and act like a lady instead of trying to be the "man" all the time.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

The rematch should be good. I expect Rousey to switch the gameplan and make Holm come to her. Holm is a great counter puncher. I also expect Rousey to come in in better shape since she won't have nearly as many obligations as she had prior to this fight.

Holm deserves all the credit in the world for taking advantage of Rousey's aggression. Her takedown defense was solid. She escaped the arm bar nicely when Rousey did get her down. Can't wait for the rematch.

When Ronda has her game face on. Or during a match with mouth guards, bloodied face, etc. Needless to say it's a Huge difference then when photographed on a beach with a bikini on. it's hard to recognize it's the the same woman (babe). great legs, great everything. Cute as a button. IMO. i Wonder how many high school dudes got a poster of her? Is Farrah's record safe?

Love her moxy, She would be way more fun on a date then say Jennifer Lawrence IMO. That said both can eat crackers in bed anytime they want though.

Ronda got that little butt kicked last night though. Bigtime. And her mystique took a big hit. i wish her the best in her professional future.

She's cool. i'm a fan. can she play linebacker?

The rematch should be good. I expect Rousey to switch the gameplan and make Holm come to her. Holm is a great counter puncher. I also expect Rousey to come in in better shape since she won't have nearly as many obligations as she had prior to this fight.

Holm deserves all the credit in the world for taking advantage of Rousey's aggression. Her takedown defense was solid. She escaped the arm bar nicely when Rousey did get her down. Can't wait for the rematch.

I'm not a fan of MMA, but you can't not know about and pay attention to Ronda Rousey. She's been on Real Sports a number of times, and basically all over the place.

So, I'd watch this stuff on Real Sports and then see the clips of her fights. In the interviews, it was all about the arm bar, and then the fights would almost always end with that. (I know her last one wasn't, but it seemed all the ones since I was paying attention were).

Having little knowledge of it, I kept thinking - isn't there SOME defense for this damn arm bar??

So, how did Holm escape the arm bar?

(On a side note, the UFC after fight show came on right after the Utah-Arizona game last night, and I watched it because I couldn't believe RR lost. This girl seems about 100 times nicer and more humble than Rousey.)

Humble? When did that happen?

when she was crying after the fight plus she wasn't being disrespectful to her opponent like she normally does

I don't expect Ronda to change her tactics except learning better boxing defense. The reason Ronda looked tired was because she was getting rocked, many fighters get tired real quick after their bell is wrung. Also having very short fights didn't help her in going the distance.

I'm not a fan of MMA, but you can't not know about and pay attention to Ronda Rousey. She's been on Real Sports a number of times, and basically all over the place.

So, I'd watch this stuff on Real Sports and then see the clips of her fights. In the interviews, it was all about the arm bar, and then the fights would almost always end with that. (I know her last one wasn't, but it seemed all the ones since I was paying attention were).

Having little knowledge of it, I kept thinking - isn't there SOME defense for this damn arm bar??

So, how did Holm escape the arm bar?

(On a side note, the UFC after fight show came on right after the Utah-Arizona game last night, and I watched it because I couldn't believe RR lost. This girl seems about 100 times nicer and more humble than Rousey.)

Ronda didn't really have it locked in and Holm was never in danger of the submission.