Rousey loss to Holm

Observer

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trolling, I just don't think she's that skilled as an all around MMA practioner.

Well, the women's game isn't where the men's is currently. I compare it to where the men were 13 or so years ago when Pride was in its prime and there weren't really any/many well rounded fighters. They all had their "styles." It was BJJ vs. boxing or wrestling vs. Muay Thai. So to say Rousey isn't that well rounded is true, but I don't feel any woman out there is that well rounded, not in comparison to the best of the best with the men. Just like the men it will take the women awhile to get there, if they ever do.

So, it's a bit of an unfair criticism at Rousey to say she isn't well rounded. She is perfectly capable of dominating the women's division with just her Judo and BJJ while she tries to get a handle on striking. What makes Holm her kryptonite is Holm's take down defense was very good as was her footwork. It made it difficult for Rousey to get the fight where she needed it - to the ground. Rousey trying to walk Holm down didn't help her cause either...

Hell, look at someone like McGregor, he's not well rounded either and he's the biggest name out there at the moment. The guy has a shot vs. Aldo tonight (though I don't think he'll win) but if he wins and gets matched up against Edgar he's in for a long beat down because he isn't good enough on the ground or avoiding takedowns and Frankie isn't going to gas like Mendes.

Edited by MDH