Rousey loss to Holm

Observer

why box a boxer ?

rousey should have kept taking her to the ground.

Ego, imo. Ronda brawled with a brawler and kicked her ass, in her last match. I think the best in the world stuff got to her, and she thought she could beat the boxer at boxing. I have to assume she'll approach the next fight with a significantly different strategy that involves swallowing her pride and focusing on her strengths of grappling and submission.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

because she is really really good at it.

There's that. She's also been significantly stronger than her previous opponents and had no fear of them doing damage. She basically powered her way out of Liz Carmouche being on her back with both hooks in and a decent choke. There isn't another woman in UFC that probably gets out of that position the way Rousey did.

push into your opponent to keep the arm bent preventing the lock. The worst thing you can do is try to pull out as this makes it tighter, unless it's loose. You can also pick em up and slam them on their head but that takes a ton of energy but looks cool

which is the dumbest thing ever, it's no more damaging than any other elbow. Also it will be a good day when knees are allowed on the ground like the old Pride days, they are also know worse than elbows or any other strike on the ground.

I don't think I agree with either of those things. Dropping a 12-to-6 elbow from the prone position in someone's face that's against the mat might end in a death. I've seen people break multiple concrete blocks and ice with a pointed elbow. The consequences would be disastrous for the sport.

Ego, imo. Ronda brawled with a brawler and kicked her ass, in her last match. I think the best in the world stuff got to her, and she thought she could beat the boxer at boxing. I have to assume she'll approach the next fight with a significantly different strategy that involves swallowing her pride and focusing on her strengths of grappling and submission.

I wouldn't classify Holm as a brawler (Rousey is a brawler). She doesn't want anything to do with brawling. She wants to stay outside and use her reach advantage and length to land shots.

I wouldn't classify Holm as a brawler (Rousey is a brawler). She doesn't want anything to do with brawling. She wants to stay outside and use her reach advantage and length to land shots.

Hadn't seen her fight before because im uncomfortable seeing women getting beaten up. But given the exposure I ended up seeing replays of this one. It was only a matter of time before someone with superior technique came along and dropped her. These bully types don't last long....like Brock lesnar.

Edited by JTSP

Ronda has beaten plenty of real MMA fighters. Styles make fights. Rousey is a world class athlete who will come back stronger and with a better gameplan. Will it be enough? We'll see. She definitely will not underestimate Holm's striking next time.

One trick pony! Arm bar submission hold.

I think you're right on the "styles make fights" deal but Rousey has never faced anyone with one strike knockout power. She has been hit square before but the woman striking her didn't have enough to put her down or really even earn her respect. Rousey has significant holes in her standup game (holds hands too wide/low, leads with her chin, no head movement, slow feet and hands, etc) but no one she's fought has been even close to as good as Holm. I'm curious about who Ronda sparred with coming into this fight - if her handlers were worth anything (and I don't think they are), she should have been training with a male kickboxer of similar stature to HH.

The hype surrounding her reminds me of when Gracie was dominating. It was a matter of time before someone showed up with a different game to counteract what he did well - the game always evolves. I remember the hype surrounding his fight with Matt Hughes and kinda shaking my head because anyone who was paying attention in MMA knew Royce was in a world of trouble going into that fight. Holm was essentially the perfect foil for Rousey - just enough moxey to stay out of trouble on the ground with good balance, footwork, angle usage, and accuracy to do damage while standing. I didn't know anything about Holm's MMA career but when I saw her at the weigh-in thought she was exactly the right size/height/skillset to make the fight interesting. I didn't know if she had the power to get it done and it turned out via combination that she did.

Women's sports are always like this. USC dominated the **** outta college basketball until Tennessee took over the reigns. Then Stanford and Connecticut built powerhouses. The U.S. dominated soccer for awhile and then teams like Japan and Germany caught up.

I think Zingano has the knockout power, we just didn't get to see her test Rousey's chin because she was too hyped up and ran right into a throw. She is a very strong striker, but not on Holm's level.

That said, Holm has not looked even close to as good she did against Rousey in her prior UFC fights. Having only seen her in those, I thought she would get destroyed by Rousey. Raquel Pennington took her to a split decision, and she is not very good. Then her second fight was against someone I had never heard of and underwhelmed again. She was a beast this fight.

I'm not convinced that it will go the same if they fight again. I don't think Holm's grappling would hold up against Rousey if that is the fight Ronda brings. If Rousey comes in super aggressive, ready to redeem herself on her feet she will get knocked out again. You're 100% correct about the holes in her standup game. If she dirties the fight up next time, I think her grappling will win it for her.

Regardless, Holm winning was a great thing for the division in my opinion. Maybe not publicity-wise, but for competitive balance. If Ronda has a year absence, I'd love to see Holm fight Tate. I think that would be a great fight, unless Tate is overconfident in her hands too.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

Against who? :lol: I get it. You're a big fan. But she got knocked the :censored: by a real fighter!

I'm more of a Tate fan. She knocked out Coreira, Davis and McMann. All in title fights.

It seems like you're trolling. If not, you're saying that every woman in the UFC bantamweight division other than Holm is not a real fighter. Which is...:lol:

I'm more of a Tate fan. She knocked out Coreira, Davis and McMann. All in title fights.

It seems like you're trolling. If not, you're saying that every woman in the UFC bantamweight division other than Holm is not a real fighter. Which is... :lol:

I'm not trolling, I just don't think she's that skilled as an all around MMA practioner.

I'm not trolling, I just don't think she's that skilled as an all around MMA practioner.

Her striking is raw, but has gotten much better. She fought a world class striker. She is a world class judo practitioner. This is how these fights tend to go. If both are decently well rounded, the greater skill will generally prevail. It's why wrestler vs boxer is normally such a good watch.

I'm not sure how well rounded Holm is all based on the fights I've seen. We didn't get to see much of her grappling game this fight because of the tone Rousey set. All credit to Holm for taking advantage of it. She was awesome.

One trick ponies get exposed sooner or later. Ronda got destroyed and outclassed by a real MMA fighter with a multitude of skills who wasn't intimidated by Rousey's pre-fight antics.

Ronda is a real MMA fighter, she just isn't as well rounded as everyone thought, it will be interesting to see if she really works on her boxing defense and work harder on takedowns.

It's not Holm rolled through her opponents like Ronda has, it's just Ronda is the perfect fir for Holm

I know this

Never underestimate the heart of a champion

The rowdy one is not finished.....I think she goes into seclusion a bit.....works on a game plan to counter what happened to her.......and goes right back at Holm

nope she is making a movie

There's that. She's also been significantly stronger than her previous opponents and had no fear of them doing damage. She basically powered her way out of Liz Carmouche being on her back with both hooks in and a decent choke. There isn't another woman in UFC that probably gets out of that position the way Rousey did.

I don't think I agree with either of those things. Dropping a 12-to-6 elbow from the prone position in someone's face that's against the mat might end in a death. I've seen people break multiple concrete blocks and ice with a pointed elbow. The consequences would be disastrous for the sport.

you can break blocks with a regular punch as well, the whole breaking blocks thing is overrated, a strike is a strike and all should be included

Hadn't seen her fight before because im uncomfortable seeing women getting beaten up. But given the exposure I ended up seeing replays of this one. It was only a matter of time before someone with superior technique came along and dropped her. These bully types don't last long....like Brock lesnar.

Ronda is still a world class fighter and more htan a brawler, she just needs to work on her technique.

Brock had Diverticulitis had could not train properly for the sport anymore, he probably would still be Champ if he didn't have those health issues.

I didn't classify Holm as a brawler. Rousey is a grappler who learned how to brawl, she brawled against a couple of her previous opponents (Correia, etc) and won, which inflated her ego to the point of "I can do anything my opponent can do, better". She entered the fight with Holm trying to out box the boxer, as I said, because of ego. It was poorly written on my part, I admit.

I didn't classify Holm as a brawler. Rousey is a grappler who learned how to brawl, she brawled against a couple of her previous opponents (Correia, etc) and won, which inflated her ego to the point of "I can do anything my opponent can do, better". She entered the fight with Holm trying to out box the boxer, as I said, because of ego. It was poorly written on my part, I admit.

Fair enough. As I said earlier, I don't think Rousey had any fear of getting KO'd in her earlier fights because none of those women had that kind of power. Holm obviously does.

a strike is a strike and all should be included

That simply isn't true, which is why things like rabbit punches are illegal. There is a huge difference between a pointed elbow strike and a hand strike.

Fair enough. As I said earlier, I don't think Rousey had any fear of getting KO'd in her earlier fights because none of those women had that kind of power. Holm obviously does.

That simply isn't true, which is why things like rabbit punches are illegal. There is a huge difference between a pointed elbow strike and a hand strike.

a rabbit punch is a shot to the kidneys and has nothing to do with the strike, a 12-6 elbow is no different than any other elbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP56SE_TiwE

a rabbit punch is a shot to the kidneys and has nothing to do with the strike, a 12-6 elbow is no different than any other elbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP56SE_TiwE

A rabbit punch is a punch to the back of the head.

And a 12-6 elbow is much different than other elbows, especially when the victim's head is pinned against the ground and the deliverer is postured up because of physics and gravity. Matt Hume is an idiot and that explanation is total horse crap.

A rabbit punch is a punch to the back of the head.

And a 12-6 elbow is much different than other elbows, especially when the victim's head is pinned against the ground and the deliverer is postured up because of physics and gravity. Matt Hume is an idiot and that explanation is total horse crap.

my bad on the rabbit punch, but an elbow is an elbow

Very much agree, there.

It'll be interesting to see what changes she makes for the rematch. It sounds like she could use some new coaches/trainers as well.

Very much agree, there.

It'll be interesting to see what changes she makes for the rematch. It sounds like she could use some new coaches/trainers as well.

Definitely agree on the coaches. I though Edmond came off terribly in the TUF show they did. He's definitely no Greg Jackson.

• 3 weeks later...