The Bills locker room is divided ... over the hot dog debate

YoloinOhio

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dysfunction junction as always!

The Bills are tearing themselves apart debating if a hot dog is a sandwich

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/11/the-bills-are-tearing-themselves-apart-debating-if-a-hot-dog-is-a-sandwich

really, it's not a sandwich,

I thought this would be about which brand is the best and Sahlens reigns supreme

I say yes. Meat and assorted toppings between bread. If a sub is a sandwich then a hot dog is a sandwich.

a sub is not a sandwich

a sandwich is any meat and/or plant item between two or more pieces of FLAT bread

I'll vote that it is, despite never calling it one.

If you expand out to sausage instead of just the very specific hot dog I think you see more people use the term sandwich

In the end it's just semantics. A hot dog on a bun with toppings is in the sandwich family regardless of what it's called or whether anyone thinks of it as one.

You have a point considering that a "sub" has a number of fillings (like meat or whatever you may choose) loaded in a piece of bread that has been ben barely "sliest in two" therefor a hot dog is pretty much the same.

Sub is and has always been short for submarine sandwich.

A sandwich is one or more food items placed between two pieces of bread.

Ergo, a hot dog is not a sandwich, since it is placed in a split roll.

Agreed. And if you cut a bun in half for a burger, it still isn't a sandwich either. A beef on weck is not a sandwich. A french dip (who cares, it's french!) Anything served between two slices cut from a loaf of bread would constitute a sandwich. Submarines (grinders, hoagies, etc) are often miss-classified as sandwiches too.

Agreed. And if you cut a bun in half for a burger, it still isn't a sandwich either. A beef on weck is not a sandwich. A french dip (who cares, it's french!) Anything served between two slices cut from a loaf of bread would constitute a sandwich. Submarines (grinders, hoagies, etc) are often miss-classified as sandwiches too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich

A sandwich consists of slices of ingredients (meat, cheese, tomato, etc.) on slices of bread.

A hot dog is a particular sausage on a bun. It is not a sandwich but it is a close relative.

A subway sandwich is a sandwich and not a hot dog (despite the way the bread is cut) because it follows the sandwich script more closely: slices of ingredients on slices of bread.

A sandwich consists of slices of ingredients (meat, cheese, tomato, etc.) on slices of bread.

A hot dog is a particular sausage on a bun. It is not a sandwich but it is a close relative.

A subway sandwich is a sandwich and not a hot dog (despite the way the bread is cut) because it follows the sandwich script more closely: slices of ingredients on slices of bread.

So you're taking issue with the tubular construction rather than slices. Good point. Speaking of slices, if you have a piece of pizza with sausage and peperoni, and fold it over to prevent flopping so you can eat it, does it become a sandwich? I know a sandwich when I see it. Hot dogs and pizza are not on the sandwich list.

@GothamSN

After much discussion, we have come to a conclusion on if a hot dog is a sandwich: http://gothamsn.com/gsn-roundtable-is-a-hot-dog-a-sandwich/

CTIzOm1U8AESsKn.png

That was actually a pretty good and thorough article. I left with a much better feeling about TJ Brennan, and solidified the obvious conclusion that a hot dog is not a sandwich, especially with the horizontal and vertical distinction.

That was actually a pretty good and thorough article. I left with a much better feeling about TJ Brennan, and solidified the obvious conclusion that a hot dog is not a sandwich, especially with the horizontal and vertical distinction.

Ummm, submarine sandwich!

really, it's not a sandwich,

I thought this would be about which brand is the best and Sahlens reigns supreme

a sub is not a sandwich

a sandwich is any meat and/or plant item between two or more pieces of FLAT bread

Peanut butter sandwich, ice cream sandwich, grilled cheese sandwich. Key word is sandwich. All don't have meat. doesn't have a plant item, yet they're called a sandwich. The word you have to pay attention to is sandwich.

Don't know why people keep saying sandwiches need to have a particular ingredient in it. I can put pieces of apple, in between bread and call it an apple sandwich. Manure in between bread, manure sandwich. Not that difficult.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83