McCown Out for the Season; Manziel Out with Concussion

That makes no sense Doc.

What makes no sense? That the Browns are so desperate that they'll start a former first rounder who was picked by the owner even though he's not ready? Not really if you think about it.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What makes no sense? That the Browns are so desperate that they'll start a former first rounder who was picked by the owner even though he's not ready? Not really if you think about it.

What I posed to you makes no sense. Pettine didn't blink at a guy who didn't know the playbook, but benched him because of a lie? Even if that's true, he's a moron.

What I posed to you makes no sense. Pettine didn't blink at a guy who didn't know the playbook, but benched him because of a lie? Even if that's true, he's a moron.

Again, the higher-ups are likely making the decision.

Everyone on the planet (except doc) knew a week ago that when Pettine benched JM, that he would be starting him again as soon as Austin stunk it up. The suspension was a joke. That's why Pettine looks so stupid...because the suspension was a sham.

He never should have benched him. The "higher ups", had they been calling the shots, would have told Pettine to stop telling the world about your "zero tolerance" nonsense (which it has proven to be, over and over) and play our first round QB.

This outcome was completely predictable, as was Pettine's "wait a minute, I haven't made that decision yet" for 2 days after we were all told what we knew he was going to do all along.

Again, he is a total clown and fittingly the sad Browns' 5th choice as HC. He's the perfect man for that franchise.

Everyone on the planet (except doc) knew a week ago that when Pettine benched JM, that he would be starting him again as soon as Austin stunk it up. The suspension was a joke. That's why Pettine looks so stupid...because the suspension was a sham.

He never should have benched him. The "higher ups", had they been calling the shots, would have told Pettine to stop telling the world about your "zero tolerance" nonsense (which it has proven to be, over and over) and play our first round QB.

This outcome was completely predictable, as was Pettine's "wait a minute, I haven't made that decision yet" for 2 days after we were all told what we knew he was going to do all along.

Again, he is a total clown and fittingly the sad Browns' 5th choice as HC. He's the perfect man for that franchise.

Not sure where you're getting that I didn't know Goofball was going to start again. The Browns literally have no other choice after McCown went down and since Davis is a 4th year former UDFA and bad QB, while Goofball is a former 1st rounder picked by the owner. But whether they start him or Davis is six of one, half a dozen of the other and will land them the 1st overall pick next year.

No, what I said is that Pettine wants nothing to do with Goofball because he knows he's a chump and was resisting starting him. Pettine may be a total clown, like his organization, but he has a better handle of what a good QB is than the higher ups do, especially since the owner picked him. At this point he's just doing what he can to not give them a reason to terminate him with cause and thus lose out on getting the remainder of the money left on his contract after he's fired.

And yes, he should have benched him. Hell, if he was EJ or Marcell, you'd have been calling for him to be cut. The fact that you're not, much less not making your usual snide comments about him is funny, but classic WEO.

Not sure where you're getting that I didn't know Goofball was going to start again. The Browns literally have no other choice after McCown went down and since Davis is a 4th year former UDFA and bad QB, while Goofball is a former 1st rounder picked by the owner. But whether they start him or Davis is six of one, half a dozen of the other and will land them the 1st overall pick next year.

No, what I said is that Pettine wants nothing to do with Goofball because he knows he's a chump and was resisting starting him. Pettine may be a total clown, like his organization, but he has a better handle of what a good QB is than the higher ups do, especially since the owner picked him. At this point he's just doing what he can to not give them a reason to terminate him with cause and thus lose out on getting the remainder of the money left on his contract after he's fired.

And yes, he should have benched him. Hell, if he was EJ or Marcell, you'd have been calling for him to be cut. The fact that you're not, much less not making your usual snide comments about him is funny, but classic WEO.

As FireChan pointed out your take makes no sense. Those meddling "higher ups" if they wanted to, would have told Pettine to play JM all along. This convoluted explanation of avoiding firing with cause for Pettine is typical doc contortion. It's goofy. Pettine's charade this week pretending he might NOT start JM is all the proof anyone else needs, your "he's an alcoholic! he's a danger to himself!" histrionics aside.

My comments on this thread have been directed at Pettine's poor handling of this situation. If this was a discussion about benching JM because it's clear he doesn't have what it takes to start weekly in this league, this thread wouldn't exist.

Which segues nicely into...

I've not called for the cutting of EJ. But as I stated in the past, it is very clear this coaching staff wants nothing to do with him, and for ample reason. Quite the opposite of the situation involving first round QB on the Browns. But, like with JM, EJ is the only alternative right now.........but as the Bills backup.

@AP_NFL

Browns' Manziel facing 'harsh' repercussions if he has another off-field problem http://apne.ws/1YZidv0

@twithersAP

CVzgJwLUwAE-qVP.jpg
Tick...Tick....Tick.....Boom. Not if, but when!

Oh yes, they will be very severely harsh next time! Don't make them bench you and then start you again!

Totally agree. It was a ridiculous decision and sealed his fate. His only chance to survive, which was amazingly slim, was to ride Johnny Footstool and have him play great and win a couple games. That was his only chance however slim. This decision had no chance.

Pettine is taking the moral road, the execs want wins.

Pettine would make a great pop warner head coach, he doesnt have the skin for the NFL.

Imo

I don't agree with this narrative. What coach wants to lose? Did losing a lot of games work out for, oh let's say, Dick Jauron (who is one of the most losing head coaches in NFL history)?

Like I said earlier, I think another explanation is that the coaching staff thinks Manziel is completely unprofessional and unreliable. They wanted to place their trust & confidence in the hands of Austin Davis. Precisely because they want to win.

It is inaccurate to equate Manziel with winning. He has a 1-4 record as a starter and a 78 QB rating. (Austin Davis is no great shakes at 3-6 and 85, but those are actually better numbers.) JM has looked rancid on the field at times. It is anything BUT clear cut that he gives the Browns the best chance to win.

It is clear however that there is internal disagreement on Manziel. Some don't want him to play and some do. And that shouldn't be unfamiliar to anyone who was around during the Flutie/Johnson years. Wasn't that a case where the owner told the coach who would play?

At any rate, I'm not a Browns fan, but I have a feeling it is going to be entertaining watching this dumpster fire.

PS: Most any NFL exec leaves the game day decisions on who to play and not play in the hands of the coaches. (I had this thought: can you imagine if Bob Kraft or one of the suits for the Patriots burst into Belichick's office and demanded that he play some player? :lol: )

As FireChan pointed out your take makes no sense. Those meddling "higher ups" if they wanted to, would have told Pettine to play JM all along. This convoluted explanation of avoiding firing with cause for Pettine is typical doc contortion. It's goofy. Pettine's charade this week pretending he might NOT start JM is all the proof anyone else needs, your "he's an alcoholic! he's a danger to himself!" histrionics aside.

My comments on this thread have been directed at Pettine's poor handling of this situation. If this was a discussion about benching JM because it's clear he doesn't have what it takes to start weekly in this league, this thread wouldn't exist.

Which segues nicely into...

I've not called for the cutting of EJ. But as I stated in the past, it is very clear this coaching staff wants nothing to do with him, and for ample reason. Quite the opposite of the situation involving first round QB on the Browns. But, like with JM, EJ is the only alternative right now.........but as the Bills backup.

So because the higher-ups haven't demanded Johnny Goofball play all along, it doesn't mean they're not demanding it now? Yeah, okay. Never mind the Cleveland sportswriter who all but confirmed that it was a higher-up who told Goof he'd be starting again whereas Pettine vacillated the day after despite the reports that he was going to start.

It's not a matter of "want" so much as they have to have something to do with Goofball, since they have no other alternatives with McCown out and Davis a scrub. Do you think anyone in the organization is happy that Goof, who checked himself into rehab earlier this year, was caught drinking at all, much less during the season, and then lied about it? And in your mind, they handled him wrong and it should have been overlooked? Looks like Goof realized he needed it.

And my concern for Goof's well-being isn't "histrionics." It's called "compassion." You'll need to look up the definition.

Edited by Doc

Under good tuteledge, I think JM could be a good to great QB. Pettine just has no clue how to handle the kid. I'd like to see what Chan Gailey could do with JM.

I have seen zero evidence of this. Running around a making a few splash plays here and there doesn't say anything about the ability to enjoy sustained success at the NFL level.

Quarterbacks with the most to prove

Can Johnny Manziel make good on the chance he's been given by the Cleveland Browns? Adam Schein eyes the nine quarterbacks facing the most pressure heading down the stretch in 2015.

Under good tuteledge, I think JM could be a good to great QB. Pettine just has no clue how to handle the kid. I'd like to see what Chan Gailey could do with JM.

Good tuteledge only works with one who wants to be "tuteled." Johnny Footfall has never exhibited any inclination in that regard at any level of football he's played. He is just not committed to being a student of the game.

GO BILLS!!!

I though Pettine was a good coach with us. I think he has severe mental illness now with all the flip flopping

He wanted to be a head coach too badly. That was a bad situation and he was never going to succeed which is why the 476 people offered the job before him turned it down. I thought it was silly of him at the time because he could have remained as the Bills DC and if he had another good year, he would have been a higher tier candidate.

So because the higher-ups haven't demanded Johnny Goofball play all along, it doesn't mean they're not demanding it now? Yeah, okay. Never mind the Cleveland sportswriter who all but confirmed that it was a higher-up who told Goof he'd be starting again whereas Pettine vacillated the day after despite the reports that he was going to start.

It's not a matter of "want" so much as they have to have something to do with Goofball, since they have no other alternatives with McCown out and Davis a scrub. Do you think anyone in the organization is happy that Goof, who checked himself into rehab earlier this year, was caught drinking at all, much less during the season, and then lied about it? And in your mind, they handled him wrong and it should have been overlooked? Looks like Goof realized he needed it.

And my concern for Goof's well-being isn't "histrionics." It's called "compassion." You'll need to look up the definition.

Compassion for JM?? That comment allows anyone who wasn't convinced long ago to conclude you are FOS.

If the "higher ups" (hilarious....why not call them the "grand muckity mucks" grampa?) demanded JM to start it was because they were tired of Pettine's silly act with the benching, unbenching, etc---even Hallam, a man with no shame, are embarrassed as his HC took "laughing stock of the NFL" a quantum leap beyond where they had been.

Everyone KNEW Pettine's "punishment" was going to last one week tops. We knew Austin wasn't going to save Pettine's dumb ass. Petting further embarrassed himself by pretending he was actually mulling this decision over real hard before making it, despite it already having been announced for days as a done deal.