McCown Out for the Season; Manziel Out with Concussion

More like Pettine is done with Johnny Goofball but the higher-ups (read: the owner, who drafted him) want to see him start and Pettine is resisting. Pettine knows he's a dead man walking but doesn't seem to give a rip.

Or Pettine is trying to make it look like he really is thinking this one over when we all knew he would be re-instating JM as soon as he benched him....yet again. If the "higher ups" told him to start JM, there would be no Monday night discussion--he would simply announce him as starter. Would be no point in pretending he was "resisting".

Who didn't see this coming? Pettine continues to look more and more silly---and none of this had to happen. He should have just tuned out ESPN and never benched him. Just play him to the end of the year and then decide whether he stays. Instead he has looked like an idiot and perpetuated this circus all by himself.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or Pettine is trying to make it look like he really is thinking this one over when we all knew he would be re-instating JM as soon as he benched him....yet again. If the "higher ups" told him to start JM, there would be no Monday night discussion--he would simply announce him as starter. Would be no point in pretending he was "resisting".

Who didn't see this coming? Pettine continues to look more and more silly---and none of this had to happen. He should have just tuned out ESPN and never benched him. Just play him to the end of the year and then decide whether he stays. Instead he has looked like an idiot and perpetuated this circus all by himself.

The owner looks like the biggest idiot for forcing this staff to draft Manziel. Pettine didn't want the kid.

The owner looks like the biggest idiot for forcing this staff to draft Manziel. Pettine didn't want the kid.

No doubt Haslam is a football idiot. But the way Pettine has handled this means he has to go. He's benched and unbenched him what, 3, 4 times...so far?

No doubt Haslam is a football idiot. But the way Pettine has handled this means he has to go. He's benched and unbenched him what, 3, 4 times...so far?

TBH that is probably why he is handling it that way. Thinking "I'm not going to let this owner, who will fire me soon, force me to start Manziel"

Sadly I knew Pettine was screwed when he took the Browns job... Everyone says "When you have a chance for a head coaching job you take it"

They should add "Unless it's for the Browns b.c they will make you look even worse for your next job search in a year or two"

Edited by Beef Jerky

TBH that is probably why he is handling it that way. Thinking "I'm not going to let this owner, who will fire me soon, force me to start Manziel"

Sadly I knew Pettine was screwed when he took the Browns job... Everyone says "When you have a chance for a head coaching job you take it"

They should add "Unless it's for the Browns b.c they will make you look even worse for your next job search in a year or two"

At least he has gotten the HC thing out of the way. Pettine won't have to worry about that anymore.

No, if he knew he'd be starting Goofball, he'd have announced it immediately after the Bengals game. Hell earlier this afternoon he said he wasn't prepared to name a starter yet. It's pretty obvious he's done with Goofball but the higher-ups are calling the shots. Not that Pettine probably cares at this point.

And you do realize why he benched him in the first place, right? Here's a hint: it had nothing to do with ESPN.

No, if he knew he'd be starting Goofball, he'd have announced it immediately after the Bengals game. Hell earlier this afternoon he said he wasn't prepared to name a starter yet. It's pretty obvious he's done with Goofball but the higher-ups are calling the shots. Not that Pettine probably cares at this point.

And you do realize why he benched him in the first place, right? Here's a hint: it had nothing to do with ESPN.

It was still stupid.

It was still stupid.

No it wasn't. Goofball is an alky and was caught drinking during the season, and then lying about it. There need to be consequences, not only for his job's sake, but his life.

And I was listening to ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike driving into work this morning and they had a Browns ESPN reporter on. He said that he heard Goofball was told Sunday night that he would be starting again, but Pettine vacillating the next day suggested that a higher-up told him this, not Pettine.

No it wasn't. Goofball is an alky and was caught drinking during the season, and then lying about it. There need to be consequences, not only for his job's sake, but his life.

And I was listening to ESPN Radio's Mike and Mike driving into work this morning and they had a Browns ESPN reporter on. He said that he heard Goofball was told Sunday night that he would be starting again, but Pettine vacillating the next day suggested that a higher-up told him this, not Pettine.

that is what I heard as well as of this morning 6:30AM ish

but

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14321414/johnny-manziel-named-cleveland-browns-starting-qb-vs-49ers

"Johnny will be our starting quarterback on Sunday," Browns coach Mike Pettine said in a statement released by the team

Edited by NOVABillsFan

Making Johnny cross his heart and hope to die that he wouldn't go out was the reason he lied. If Pettine spent half as much time trying to fix his vaunted defense that he did trying to rein in Johnny's bye week activities, maybe he wouldn't be a dead man walking. JFF is an adult, and he can have a drink on his off-week. No reason for Pettine to start meddling. If he performs on the field, shows up to every practice, knows the playbook, and his drinking isn't affecting his performance, why make a big deal out of it?

Three Letters......CFL

I think Manziel would kill it in the CFL. That game is tailor-made for what he brings to the position.

Everything that is, except for his reluctance to actually learn the position. It's been a knock on him since college and just because it's the CFL, it doesn't mean players can be any less diligent in the film room. His 10 cent head is going to ruin his career if it hasn't already.

GO BILLS!!!

Making Johnny cross his heart and hope to die that he wouldn't go out was the reason he lied. If Pettine spent half as much time trying to fix his vaunted defense that he did trying to rein in Johnny's bye week activities, maybe he wouldn't be a dead man walking. JFF is an adult, and he can have a drink on his off-week. No reason for Pettine to start meddling. If he performs on the field, shows up to every practice, knows the playbook, and his drinking isn't affecting his performance, why make a big deal out of it?

I'm betting he doesn't do most of that stuff you mentioned at the end. And continues to drink when he's an alcoholic.

I'm betting he doesn't do most of that stuff you mentioned at the end. And continues to drink when he's an alcoholic.

That'd be a weird bet considering Johnny started the week before his bye, and was the assumed starter going into the week after the bye. So Mike Pettine starts his QB when he doesn't know the playbook, doesn't show up to practice and his alcohol habits are affecting his play, but once he tells a lie, he gets yanked? That's insanity.

That'd be a weird bet considering Johnny started the week before his bye, and was the assumed starter going into the week after the bye. So Mike Pettine starts his QB when he doesn't know the playbook, doesn't show up to practice and his alcohol habits are affecting his play, but once he tells a lie, he gets yanked? That's insanity.

Yup.